Sleepydog's Dining Reviews w/Pics--FINAL THOUGHTS!

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
My wife (luvvwl, aka luv, aka loml [love of my life], aka "My favorite Disney princess is my wife" [I wear a t-shirt to the parks proclaiming so]) and I recently attended the House of the Mouse's Flower & Garden Festival simply as an excuse to visit the World. It was my first trip since Feb 2016, though it was her third. :rolleyes1 We'll be back for our anniversary in a couple of months, so there will be more to write about then. Meanwhile, on to the task at hand as I suspect you're bored already.

First, the obligatory picture of us. You may draw your own conclusions as to which name belongs to whom.
My wife may not be happy with this picture, but a) it's my report, and b) I don't always have to ask her permission. (I don't, do I, babe?)

Here are the places we visited, so if you have no interests in any of these, you are now free to go back to your regularly scheduled programming. . .

The first listed eatery would be lunch, the second dinner (or in some parts of the South, dinner & supper)
Apr 29 - Pecos Bill, Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar
Apr 30 - CA Grill brunch, Paradiso 37
May 1 - Sanaa, Paddlefish
May 2 - Geyser Point, Flower & Garden booths
May 3 - Lombard's (yes, we went to the dark side for a day; just deal with it), Il Mulino
May 4 - 1900 Park Fare, Tiffin's
May 5 - Coral Reef, Artist Point

BONUS COVERAGE from our last-minuteish trip in July
Jul 1 - Wolfgang Puck
Jul 2 - Geyser Point again
Jul 4 - Bice
Jul 5 - Boathouse
Jul 6 - Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar

Last edited:
Break time.

Pecos Bill
Our first stop after online check-in at VWL (Ed. note: I must mention here that VWL is our home, and this was the best room we've ever had--corner room, top floor, 2 balconies, majorly large dining/living area. Further, the room was ready by 9:30 so we popped in, dropped off our luggage, and headed out) was to MK. We only rode a couple of rides as we were rode weary, and we needed lunch. It had been years since a visit to Pecos Bill, and we heard the cowboy yodeling. Though the crowds during our entire time at the World were quite manageable to down right low at times, the lines to order at PB's were swamped, and apparently, everyone also wanted nachos. So did we. The nachos themselves are fairly plentiful for the price (DRP - Disney Relative Pricing) and actually fairly tasty. However, as most know, it's the fixins' bar that help them stand out. Salsas, sour cream, guacamole (not great but not bad), cheese, and more. It was more than enough for us to split at lunch, though it would have been good to have a cerveza with which to wash it down. Still, the meat sauce smacked a bit of BBQ, needing quite a bit more cumin and chile pepper to help it have bite. The salsa was a bit of a dud, too, as it also lacked bite and zip. Some lime juice and a hit of spice would have made it so much better. While not nearly as good as homemade nachos, they're far better than a major Tex-Mex chain's and pretty much on par with what you get in most sit-down Tex-Mex restaurants. Overall, not a bad way to start the trip.
GRADE: B Highs: points awarded for having a solid fixins' bar Lows: WWE ambiance

Sorry, only one pic of this. . .

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
IMG_3847.jpg I LOVE PB tacos. I DO NOT LOVE standing in line for five hours to get them. I believe right then and there is when we made the decision to not eat at any more counter service restaurants for the duration of our trip. Starbucks doesn't count, because, let's be honest, we'd wait in line for five hours for a triple tall latte anyway. Pair that with a Mickey shaped cinnamon bun there's a winner in my book!

Not sure why your pictures aren't showing up, but let's see if I can help out.

Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar

This has been a favorite of our for a couple of years now. They offer a small, intimate (though occasionally noisy) setting with small plates, antipasto, cheeses, and of course, wines. We're a fan of all those! Only one picture from this meal.

I had the aroncini (foreground) and luv had the grilled octopus (back). Both were very good, and we were also given some bread with which to mop up the sauce. I've had better aroncini--these were a bit more dense than I like, but the flavors were there--fresh tomato, basil, shrimp/lobster morsels, and a dusting of parmagiana. Lovely. The octopus was also well-executed, as well, though it was a special for that day. Not sure it's available. Light, citrus-oriented, and perfect for a hot day. She got a 3-wine flight of whites, while I went with the 6-wine flight that included both reds and whites. I failed to take a picture of the wine menu list, so I can't remember what we had other than they were from Italy. :jester: One of my whites was sweet, which I knew going in, and it didn't appeal to me (no surprise), but the others were solid to good. I'm not a fan of most Italian whites as I find them a tad boring, but I liked the idea of being able to try a few. The reds were better than the whites, of course.

The only drawback was we went during a prime dining time so it took about 15 minutes to get in as the place was hopping, and unfortunately, we weren't able to snag one of those comfy love seats in the corner. It was a bit noisier than we're used to; however, the service was still good and friendly, and our overall experience good enough we'll want to come back again.
GRADE: B+ Highs: Food, service, wine Lows: Noise level

CA Grill Brunch

First, let's just get the whole price thing over with--yes, it's $80 per person. :crazy2: So, you should expect a lovely experience and superb food. We got both with some minor critiques. Despite the small setbacks, we still felt the overall meal was worth the cost and, in fact, we plan to go again on our next trip.

We were welcomed warmly by the downstairs hostess and by the elevator CM who whisked us upstairs after we checked in. Once again, we were greeted upon arriving upstairs and asked to have a seat in the waiting area, though not before encouraging us to grab a mimosa (which are included in the price. . .as many as you want). We waited perhaps 10 minutes before being seated at a table along the walk to the outside viewing area. Busy but not crowded.

Our server was prompt, friendly, and did a fine job during the entire meal. The attire ranged from resort casual, to dresses, to very casual wear. We were invited to order anything off the menu, and then informed about the buffet, as well.

As others have reported, the bloody mary bar was extensive, and Luv jumped on that.

Celery, cheese-stuffed olives, pepperoncini, chorizo, and maple-glazed bacon (thick slice!) are what she chose, but more is offered.

The drink itself? Strong, spicy, and darn good. I'm not a huge bloody mary fan, but this one kept me coming back for more sips in between :drinking1 the mimosas.

The offerings on the buffet were plentiful, as well.

And there is even more, but you get the, ahem, picture by now. . .

Just curious, what were the small setbacks? And are the Bloody Mary's included

Jane

Just curious, what were the small setbacks? And are the Bloody Mary's included

Jane
Overall, the service was good; however, we did get lost in the shuffle a couple of times. At one point, after waiting 10, maybe 15 minutes, we needed drinks so we went and got our own mimosas off the bar (they put out trays of them, but our server kept us supplied at first). She also didn't remove our plates promptly another time, so they sat dirty on the table for quite awhile. On a plating note, Luv asked for a half order of two different entree items (yep, you can do that), but when the food came out, one of them--eggs benedict--was put on a very small plate so the sauce almost ran over the side, and the dish was impossible to eat without it actually spilling over the plate (see pic above). Finally, I ordered steak and it came out partially cooked correct (med rare) and partially not (med well); plus, it was a bit fatty and gristly in one section. Still, it had a nice sear to it, and the flavors of the chimichurri sauce were lovely. Some might rightfully argue that for $80 pp, the food and service should be impeccable. Fair enough, but we thought these were mere missteps in an otherwise fine meal. As for the bloody mary: no. They are an upcharge, and I want to say $18. However, it was a superb and huge bloody mary. Worth $18 (or whatever the price is)? It was THAT day, but perhaps not the next time we go.

Wow the brunch pictures look awesome! Looks like many choices.
There are tons of choices, and while the cost is steep, you have access to a great deal of food (and drink if you like mimosas) for one set price. Certainly, it's not a meal we'll do every trip to Disney, but given the overall experience and quality of food, we'll definitely go back (can anyone say July?). ;)

My wife (luvvwl, aka luv, aka loml (love of my life), aka "My favorite Disney princess is my wife" [I wear a t-shirt to the parks proclaiming so]) and I recently attended the House of the Mouse's Flower & Garden Festival simply as an excuse to visit the World. It was my first trip since Feb 2016, though it was her third. :rolleyes1 We'll be back for our anniversary in a couple of months, so there will be more to write about then. Meanwhile, on to the task at hand as I suspect you're bored already.

First, the obligatory picture of us. You may draw your own conclusions as to which name belongs to whom.
My wife may not be happy with this picture, but a) it's my report, and b) I don't always have to ask her permission. (I don't, do I, babe?)

Here are the places we visited, so if you have no interests in any of these, you are now free to go back to your regularly scheduled programming. . .

The first listed eatery would be lunch, the second dinner (or in some parts of the South, dinner & supper)
Apr 29 - Pecos Bill, Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar
Apr 30 - CA Grill brunch, Paradiso 37
May 1 - Sanaa, Paddlefish
May 2 - Geyser Point, Flower & Garden booths
May 3 - Lombardi's (yes, we went to the dark side for a day; just deal with it), Il Mulino
May 4 - 1900 Park Fare, Tiffin's
May 5 - Coral Reef, Artist Point

Unfortunately, my lunch break is over, so the first review will just have to wait. Oops. pirate:
My husband calls me Loml! Looking forward to reading!

My husband calls me Loml! Looking forward to reading!
Love it! (Ed. note: She is, but to be honest, she is also the one who insisted suggested I use that monniker for her.) :duck:

More reviews soon to come; have been busy finishing out school year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!