Slinky Dog Coaster

@rteetz updated the News thread with this link:

Ride Testing has begun:
http://blogmickey.com/2017/09/breaking-slinky-dog-dash-roller-coaster-begins-testing/

Seems pretty incredible that this is already functional. Even if there would be 6 or 7 months of testing to go, that would still make this available some time in the Spring. The rest of the Land construction still has to get done, though...

ETA: I don't mean to mislead anyone. I made up the "6 or 7 months" as an over-estimate, worst case. The link just says "several months."

Last edited:
@rteetz updated the News thread with this link:

Ride Testing has begun:
http://blogmickey.com/2017/09/breaking-slinky-dog-dash-roller-coaster-begins-testing/

Seems pretty incredible that this is already functional. Even if there would be 6 or 7 months of testing to go, that would still make this available some time in the Spring. The rest of the Land construction still has to get done, though...

I was surprised that they are saying it needs 6-7 months of testing. is that typical for a relatively simple coaster? Don't get me wrong, i want them to do what testing is needed, but that seems like a very long time

I was surprised that they are saying it needs 6-7 months of testing. is that typical for a relatively simple coaster? Don't get me wrong, i want them to do what testing is needed, but that seems like a very long time
Sorry, the link just says "several months of testing." The "6 or 7" was a number I made up just based on an imaginary worst-case scenario.

I can't imagine it really takes that long, but they seem to have the time...

Sorry, the link just says "several months of testing." The "6 or 7" was a number I made up just based on an imaginary worst-case scenario.

I can't imagine it really takes that long, but they seem to have the time...

ok, yeah, even several months seems like a long time ... but it might be that they test it out and then add more set/scenery pieces and then retest it, etc. ... not that it is 3 months straight of just the same test

What we don't know is the timeline for the rest of the land, and how that can change the orders of operation within the land. It may make more sense to get the testing done now, while the area is free and clear of other encumbrances.
Did anyone actually see the ride vehicle move? I suspect getting the launching right is a bit of a black art.

It depends really but there is a good amount of testing they need to do. They don’t have all the theming elements in yet so I’m sure they have to wait for that until they do the testing for guest arm length and making sure they can’t touch anything.

What we don't know is the timeline for the rest of the land, and how that can change the orders of operation within the land. It may make more sense to get the testing done now, while the area is free and clear of other encumbrances.
Did anyone actually see the ride vehicle move? I suspect getting the launching right is a bit of a black art.
There is no video of it but Blog Mickey had a photo of the vehicle on the track.

It depends really but there is a good amount of testing they need to do. They don’t have all the theming elements in yet so I’m sure they have to wait for that until they do the testing for guest arm length and making sure they can’t touch anything.

yeah, sort of what I was getting at in my second post that I could see them do some testing and then add more theme elements and do some more, etc. vs 3-4 months of straight testing. just was wondering if this was typical or not

yeah, sort of what I was getting at in my second post that I could see them do some testing and then add more theme elements and do some more, etc. vs 3-4 months of straight testing. just was wondering if this was typical or not
I’d have to go back and find out when they started testing 7DMT and compare.

Could be as simple as an emergency brake test. The vehicle would have to hold it's position for x amount of minutes to be evacuated safely. They can do a lot of this stuff without propulsion. That's why I asked if there was any video of it moving.

Could be as simple as an emergency brake test. The vehicle would have to hold it's position for x amount of minutes to be evacuated safely. They can do a lot of this stuff without propulsion. That's why I asked if there was any video of it moving.

The launch and braking elements are covered in the photo so it definitely not moving freely yet.

If you look at these photos the ride vehicle is just sitting on the embankment likely just testing the degree of incline with the vehicle. It doesn’t appear they are actually running the vehicle yet.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...-toy-story-land-construction-from-the-air.htm

I see in the article they are calling it a "pull through test" - which I assume means it isn't really running on it's own power, just being manually pulled/pushed along the track (googling seems to show this is often done for testing clearance)

I have to say, that hill it is currently on looks to be pretty big/pretty steep angle and a decent drop coming up that then goes right into a helix. So it could have some decent thrills I think - at least for a family coaster)

I see in the article they are calling it a "pull through test" - which I assume means it isn't really running on it's own power, just being manually pulled/pushed along the track (googling seems to show this is often done for testing clearance)

I have to say, that hill it is currently on looks to be pretty big/pretty steep angle and a decent drop coming up that then goes right into a helix. So it could have some decent thrills I think - at least for a family coaster)
I've been watching the construction threads as well and I'm hoping that there are at least some mild thrills. And these test pics seem to show there will be. If it's as thrilling as Barnstormer I quit Disney. Even for a kiddie coaster, Barnstormer stinks in the thrill department.

I've been watching the construction threads as well and I'm hoping that there are at least some mild thrills. And these test pics seem to show there will be. If it's as thrilling as Barnstormer I quit Disney. Even for a kiddie coaster, Barnstormer stinks in the thrill department.
I don't get that, I enjoy the barnstormer. My only criticism is that it's too short. It doesn't generate a fear response, so maybe that is the thrill you are looking for. If that's the case, we are likely on different trajectories. I find that about 12 consecutive runs on it, is about as much as I enjoy and can still enjoy a big vacation style dinner, and the constant grazing.
Don't get me wrong I get the desire for those thrills, but Disney isn't where I'm looking to find those.

As someone mentioned it appears to just be pull through testing at the moment. They aren't even using the full length car, just the head, tail and one passenger car. Yes, launching takes a lot of adjustment to get the launch power just right, and this coaster will have two of them. Last year I was following the construction of a launch coaster in Ocean City NJ. When they did the first test they didn't give it enough power and it got stuck in the middle of the track. It took them all day with cranes and come-alongs to get it back to the station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!