Slinky Dog Coaster

I was listening to the latest DSNY newscast which covers the initial testing of the Slinky Dog Coaster and he indicated that there are estimates to the length of the ride track as being between 3,000 and 3,600 feet

I tried to find some comparisons:
- Space Mountain: 3,196 ft - ride time: 2:30
- 7 Dwarfs Mine Train: 2,000 ft - ride time: 2:50
- Rock-n-Roller Coaster: 3,403 ft - ride time: 1:22
- Barnstormer: 679 ft - ride time: 1:00

Assuming he is correct you are looking at something at least 50% longer that 7DMT and probably about the same duration as it doesn't have the slow lift hill part

I don't get that, I enjoy the barnstormer. My only criticism is that it's too short. It doesn't generate a fear response, so maybe that is the thrill you are looking for. If that's the case, we are likely on different trajectories. I find that about 12 consecutive runs on it, is about as much as I enjoy and can still enjoy a big vacation style dinner, and the constant grazing.
Don't get me wrong I get the desire for those thrills, but Disney isn't where I'm looking to find those.
I understand that Disney doesn't do thrills in any sort of big way. Even for a kiddie coaster Barnstormer is very tame. Nothing at WDW gives me that feeling that I left my stomach at the top of the hill. I'm just hoping Slinky is somewhere around 7dmt or even BTMRR.

I was listening to the latest DSNY newscast which covers the initial testing of the Slinky Dog Coaster and he indicated that there are estimates to the length of the ride track as being between 3,000 and 3,600 feet

Assuming he is correct you are looking at something at least 50% longer that 7DMT and probably about the same duration as it doesn't have the slow lift hill part
I agree with the information for the most part. Personally I’m not a fan of him as a source though. I relate DSNY to the TMZ of Disney parks.

The length seems right based on some rough measurements I did in Google Earth. I would not be surprised it if was a shorter ride time then 7DMT since 7DMT has two lift hills plus the slow mine portion, and Slinky Dog has two launches.

That would be good news. Surprised we are getting that much track.

Couple more from US (obviously more thrilling except Gringotts):

Rip Rocket 3,800 ft 1:45
Dragon Challenge 3,200 2:25
Hulk 3,800 1:15
Gringotts Bank Coaster 2,000 ft 5:00

Looking at the space they take up, I think we will find slinky dog has the largest span of any of the disney coasters in florida. That has more to do with it's shape than anything. In general, all previous disney coasters in florida have a pretty compact foot print. This is the first one that really sprawls, and doesn't cut back on itself many times.

I doubt it's how it will be operated, but with it's layout, and the ability to launch at certain power levels(not relying on a hill), I think they have the option to make this pretty thrilling or very tame based solely upon on how hard they launch the vehicles. In theory they could catapult you at 35mph or 50 mph and still get you around the course. Yet they'd be very different rides depending on launch speed.

Looking at the space they take up, I think we will find slinky dog has the largest span of any of the disney coasters in florida. That has more to do with it's shape than anything. In general, all previous disney coasters in florida have a pretty compact foot print. This is the first one that really sprawls, and doesn't cut back on itself many times.

I doubt it's how it will be operated, but with it's layout, and the ability to launch at certain power levels(not relying on a hill), I think they have the option to make this pretty thrilling or very tame based solely upon on how hard they launch the vehicles. In theory they could catapult you at 35mph or 50 mph and still get you around the course. Yet they'd be very different rides depending on launch speed.

I wonder if they could also run it in reverse ... I know they do that for some halloween parties and stuff at some amusements parks

With no lift hill and being launch propelled, there is no way it will be more than 2 minutes. Probably going to hit around 1:45 is my guess.

With no lift hill and being launch propelled, there is no way it will be more than 2 minutes. Probably going to hit around 1:45 is my guess.

One thing I wasn't sure is if there is something that happens before the launch, like a bit of a "show scene" - either at one or both. Fully agree only about 1:45 of "motion" but perhaps a bit more at the "stops" before the launches

WELL of course the longest coasters are part dark rides. And RIP dueling dragons. I never rode you but your closing almost made me cry since were loosing one of the most physical rides in universal for another track based screen simulator

WELL of course the longest coasters are part dark rides. And RIP dueling dragons. I never rode you but your closing almost made me cry since were loosing one of the most physical rides in universal for another track based screen simulator
Dueling Dragons almost ended coasters for me, permanently. I rode it in the morning and felt awful the rest of the day. Of course in fairness to the ride, it probably has more to do with age-related diminishing resistance to vertigo than the ride itself.

Last edited:

I would say most physical in all of WDW and US combined. But yes agreed.

Ultimately, I don't think that is the market Disney is after. Those that search out the biggest thrills are a pretty narrow age group. I'm guessing 14-30. While I understand the appeal, it eliminates the market of the 0-14 and 30+ aged folks. Just to be that one step more extreme. I'm not saying they won't embrace that market with something, but I don't think the slinky dog was ever in consideration for any sort of extreme. If anything, I think it is likely on the more extreme end of the audience they were making the ride for.
Tron would be were I'd try to me more extreme(we already know what tron should be like). Magic kingdom is already filled with attractions to appeal with many age groups. So you can go out on a limb, and have something more extreme than space mountain that is sitting right next door.

Ultimately, I don't think that is the market Disney is after. Those that search out the biggest thrills are a pretty narrow age group. I'm guessing 14-30. While I understand the appeal, it eliminates the market of the 0-14 and 30+ aged folks. Just to be that one step more extreme. I'm not saying they won't embrace that market with something, but I don't think the slinky dog was ever in consideration for any sort of extreme. If anything, I think it is likely on the more extreme end of the audience they were making the ride for.
Tron would be were I'd try to me more extreme(we already know what tron should be like). Magic kingdom is already filled with attractions to appeal with many age groups. So you can go out on a limb, and have something more extreme than space mountain that is sitting right next door.

100% agree. Just hate to loose a rare extreme coaster (DC) compared to adding instead.

That said, we actually like 7DMT as much as BTMRR and Space, so Slink may be about perfect since it's such a long track-will see.

100% agree. Just hate to loose a rare extreme coaster (DC) compared to adding instead.

That said, we actually like 7DMT as much as BTMRR and Space, so Slink may be about perfect since it's such a long track-will see.
I know I'm definitely in the minority saying this but I'm not that big a fan of Space. It's too forceful for such a small coaster, plus being tall I'm afraid I'll be decapitated. All those steel beams (shudders)

I know I'm definitely in the minority saying this but I'm not that big a fan of Space. It's too forceful for such a small coaster, plus being tall I'm afraid I'll be decapitated. All those steel beams (shudders)

Don't ride it with the lights on then. It's absolutely terrifying. Much worse with the lights on when you hit some crests and curves. I'm not that tall and I thought I was going to lose my head.

Yep, many feel that way. Also why I said we like 7DMT just as much. :thumbsup2

My guess is 75% (or more) of MK visitors will not go near Space (same with D Challenge at US). My guess is 25% of MK guests will not go near 7DMT.

That said, I would not vote to tear down Space for a more family type ride.

Don't ride it with the lights on then. It's absolutely terrifying. Much worse with the lights on when you hit some crests and curves. I'm not that tall and I thought I was going to lose my head.
I’ve seen the lights on videos. My last ride they kept haunting me so I ducked the entire time
Yep, many feel that way. Also why I said we like 7DMT just as much. :thumbsup2

My guess is 75% (or more) of MK visitors will not go near Space (same with D Challenge at US). My guess is 25% of MK guests will not go near 7DMT.

That said, I would not vote to tear down Space for a more family type ride.
It’s a classic and I respect them for thinking that, I would be mad if they took it out but I doubt they will. I enjoy mine train, I just wish it were longer

The ride system is the first launched Mack "YoungStar" roller coaster. The first one to open was at Mack's home park in Germany in 2006 and since then, they've sold a few around the world.

Here is a POV video of "Pegasus" at Europa Park:

The main differences between the prototype and Slinky Dog are: Slinky Dog went from a lift hill-launch combo when it was announced at D23 in 2015 to the revised layout that was built, using two LSM launches. They also went from the light double tube coaster track to the lattice triangular track Mack first used on a large mega coaster.

On the length of the track, there is no way it will be longer than Expedition Everest. Everest is 4424 feet long and is amazingly 140 feet tall. Based on similar double launch coasters around the world, I estimate Slinky Dog will be around 3000-3300 feet long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter