Slinky dog dash FP at 6:15, flight at 9:18?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
My two sons (ages 19 and 15) are going in August and today was their FP day. The only Slinky Dog FP they were able to get was at 6:15 on their final day. Their flight (American Airlines) leaves MCO at 9:18.
They can pack VERY light (everything in a "school size" backpack) and rent a locker at Hollywood Studios, and leave right from the park after riding Slinky Dog. If they take Uber directly to the airport, do you think that's enough time to make their flight? They do not have TSA pre-check.

Best case, by the time they make it off the ride, to front of park, into an Uber, and to the airport, they’re probably 2hrs before departure.

That’s not bad on the surface, but that is best-case. If there’s traffic (hopefully Uber would take 417 and avoid I-4/528 tho) or if the ride is delayed for some reason, they’re really pushing it.

Personally, I’d just get in the standby line if they really want to do the ride. 60 minutes in line is better than waiting for the next flight because you got delayed in reaching the airport, or it was a Saturday and the security line was terrible. Two teenage boys should know though that Slinky Dog, while cute/fun, is very much a “kiddy coaster” and not worth missing a flight over. If they’re anything like I was at those ages they’d rather they rode RnR or ToT again.

Also bear in mind flight departure times can change, so even if it may work now, it may not closer to. Either way just play the “refresh game” and try and get an earlier FP.

Thanks! The flight is on a wednesday so I was hoping that would help a little with crowds at TSA. I'l help them keep the "refreshing" going!

Your sons just have to be smart about it. It should be doable. They should camp outside the attraction 15 minutes before their Fastpass window opens. I believe Mickey will turn green five minutes in advance, so they should utilize that time. Assuming the attraction is functioning properly, they should be off quickly and can immediately call an Uber to pick them up at the park. If they're somewhat experienced travelers, it'll be no problem.

That said, it's on them to recognize the situation, including the traffic on the way to the airport (check Waze or Google Maps) and whether the ride is working. If something seems wrong, they have to be prepared to bail. But if things run as they should, they'll comfortably make the flight. Personally, I don't plan my life around the worst-case scenario. I'd rather assume things will go as expected and adjust if things go wrong. I find that approach to living works well for me.

Last edited:

As noted above, be at the FPs entrance about 10 mins before the stated time....around 6:05. They should be able to get through at 6:10. Move quickly to the park exit as soon as they get off. Call Uber once there. This should get them to MCO by 7:15. As long as they are at their gate by 8:30 they should be fine. But...be sure they watch the boards to make sure their gate doesn't change!!!!! Happened to my dd, they almost missed their flight.

My age must be showing LOL but if it was me I would be a nervous wreck trying to enjoy myself on a ride knowing that I had a 3 hour window to go through the FP line, ride the coaster, get through the ride exit, walk the whole length of the park to the exit, call and wait for an uber, take the long ride to the airport (traffic?), walk through the airport, get through long lines at security and then walk down to the terminal.
If they can get to the park for rope drop, they probably would have a much shorter wait then later in the day. Maybe they could stop at Guest Relations earlier in the day and explain their situation. Maybe someone there could offer a bit of pixie dust by changing their FP time to an earlier one? Doesn't hurt to ask.

I would be careful about leaving for the airport so late.

As to someone giving them pixie dust for an earlier FP because of a flight, don't we all wish that were true.

I agree DenLo. Too many things could wind up causing a delay to and at the airport. As far as pixie dust...it can happen.
Doesn't hurt to explain how it's the one ride that they were really looking forward to but are afraid they'll miss their flight. Just ask nicely. I have found CM's to be generous if they're able to be.

Last time we were flying home from MCO the lines at TSA were long. Personally, I wouldn't chance it. I'd plan to get there at rope drop and ride standby, or get in line at the end of the evening right before the park closes. I've found that the wait times are inflated near park closing time.

I’d be nervous trying it! Traffic and TSA are never a guarantee.

It is so frustrating seeing people say go to Guest Relations, explain situation and see if there is pixie dust. Imagine if everyone did this! They can’t make FastPasses appear. Bad bad advice

I guess that being a mom to two boys has made me sympathetic to their situation. They have a FP for the ride but the time is a bad one. I absolutely am not condoning EVERYONE doing this! I don't feel that my advice is bad. It just doesn't hurt to ask. The worst thing that the CM can say is "NO".

I’d be nervous trying it! Traffic and TSA are never a guarantee.

It is so frustrating seeing people say go to Guest Relations, explain situation and see if there is pixie dust. Imagine if everyone did this! They can’t make FastPasses appear. Bad bad advice
Why not ask? If you're polite and approach the conversation with no expectations, what's the worst that can happen? The Cast Member will probably say no, and you'll go along with your day. But in the off chance you end up with somebody who's sympathetic and empowered to help, the reward is big. It's all about how you conduct yourself.

Why not ask? If you're polite and approach the conversation with no expectations, what's the worst that can happen? The Cast Member will probably say no, and you'll go along with your day. But in the off chance you end up with somebody who's sympathetic and empowered to help, the reward is big. It's all about how you conduct yourself.
Because it puts the CM in a terrible position? There's literally no reason why two teenage boys can't ride SDD if their FP time doesn't work with their travel plans.

Because everyone asks for things. As other poster says it puts the CM in horrible spot. On Theme Park boards people have suggested to those who have last minute additions to their party who can’t get the same FastPasses to do the same go to Guest Services. It is horrible advice to give anyone!

Thanks all!
My sons are kind of reserved and would feel very awkward asking a CM to change a fast pass, so I know they won't be doing that. :)
I'm feeling a bit nervous about them making the flight after reading some of the responses.
We're currently investigating booking them the Early Morning Magic. Currently their other two fast passes are for RnR and TOT later in the afternoon, and if they book EMM they will probably try and get a Star Tours for their third fast pass. :)

I guess that being a mom to two boys has made me sympathetic to their situation. They have a FP for the ride but the time is a bad one. I absolutely am not condoning EVERYONE doing this! I don't feel that my advice is bad. It just doesn't hurt to ask. The worst thing that the CM can say is "NO".
I too am a Mom to 2 boys. I would NEVER suggest such a thing to them. Of course they can ask. But I agree it is unfair to the CM who has to say no. That CM also has a Mom who cares.
I agree with PP. Bad advice.

The person who started this post has said that her sons wouldn't feel comfortable going to guest services. There really isn't the need to keep bashing my suggestion. I would never suggest that someone do something or encourage another person to do something which isn't right.
Agree to disagree about this subject.

The person who started this post has said that her sons wouldn't feel comfortable going to guest services. There really isn't the need to keep bashing my suggestion. I would never suggest that someone do something or encourage another person to do something which isn't right.
Agree to disagree about this subject.
But point is it is bad advice and never should have been suggested. There were no FPs at time her two sons need them (I’m also a mom to two sons). They can’t magically appear at guest services- by refresh maybe but to put a CM in a bad situation is unfair and bad advice. Yes we can all agree to disagree, yes OP said her sons would never do (great to hear OP!), but a poster should never suggest asking for pixie dust upgrades or FPS.

But point is it is bad advice and never should have been suggested. There were no FPs at time her two sons need them (I’m also a mom to two sons). They can’t magically appear at guest services- by refresh maybe but to put a CM in a bad situation is unfair and bad advice. Yes we can all agree to disagree, yes OP said her sons would never do (great to hear OP!), but a poster should never suggest asking for pixie dust upgrades or FPS.

I disagree that anyone who isn't a moderator should be playing "suggestion police" around here. The suggestion was made, OP said it didn't work for their boys anyway, and that was that.

It's a discussion forum; people can make suggestions, and people can agree or disagree with those suggestions. "Never should have been suggested" is your opinion, and not everyone agrees with it. Just leave it be.

Are you and your sons all linked to the same My Disney Experience account that holds the Slinky Dog Dash fastpass in question?

Your boys will probably be feeling invincible coming up to the fastpass time as they head for SDD. Then, after riding, they'll feel awfully anxious and afraid they will miss their plane.

On the same MDE account you can all keep refreshing and trying to get an earlier FP time. If you don't succeed in moving the FP up at least an hour (to 5:15 or before), you go in at 5:15 and cancel it out from under them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter