• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Slyvestor McMonkey McBean's Very Unusual Driving Machines

rocketman23

<font color = green>Zamp in the Lamp<br><font colo
Does anyone know when this ride will open??? It looks like a lot of fun if it could just get going. Some say it is because there are no catwalks, but I don't buy that. They can always build one, and asides from that there are these rides elsewhere that operate without a catwalk. Now with the queue used for the Grinch's Lair, it looks even less like it will ever open. I did hear the Island Skipper guide point it out and say it may open some day. Anyone one out there know what's going on with it, Earl perhaps?

NOTE: If this is a repeat, sorry!:D

Yes, this one's a repeat, of a repeat, of a repeat, of a repeat (squared).

It's actually more than a catwalk issue, and it's not structurally feeasble possible to add one. The short story is that is a very bad design from the British company that created it. The track isn't really usable for what the attraction needs to be. I know it looks like it would be simple, but i reality all of the issues make it more complex than a big old bag of money can fix. So, for now, it will remain as is. Perhaps someday it will come to life if a design can salvage something out of what's there for a reasonable investment.

Originally posted by Earl
Yes, this one's a repeat, of a repeat, of a repeat, of a repeat (squared).

I thought it would be, but I couldn't find it in the search and I'm relitively new to the site and wanted to know the reason. Sorry and thanks.

thanks for asking...I was never sure whether it had ever run, either. Both times I have visited it has not been functional, but then again Terminator was only up for about 15 minutes during those two visits as well!

Actually, I've tried several searches of this board for info on this ride and found very little. Does anyone have any specific information on what this ride was going to be like? I take it there were going to be inside elements to this ride, as well as the outdoor track. Just curious. :D

It was supposed to be a Sneetch themed ride in which you pick your car Star-Belly or Plain-Belly. You then go on an overhead tour of Suess Landing. Now you were supposed to control the speed and when you bumped other cars it would activate a special effect. It sounds like a lot of fun, but we may never know...

The ride told the story of the Sneetches. The same story was told on both tracks, but they took different routes.

Just for clarity. it is actually two tracks with a rotating track switch to cycle the cars from one to the other.

Earl, at what stage were the problems with this (non-)ride discovered? I'm curious about the management process which left a high profile - stuck in the middle of Suessland - attraction inoperable from day 1? Did Universal know there were problems before the ride was installed (which they hoped to fix before IoA opened), or were the problems discovered after the ride was constructed.

Regards

Rob

Rob,

I wasn't until after it got here. It was engineering fiasco for what it was supposed to be.

Shame. I hope not all British engineering is as bad! At least there is a whole sack full of other wonderful attractions at IoA to help keep us busy...

Regards

Rob
London, UK

What a waste. It looked to be a really great ride, too. I'm so disappointed. Of course, with my luck, it would end up being another ride that only kids could ride. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter