Small Contracts & Direct Purchase is AWESOME!!!

Whositsgalore

Nap Aficionado
We have purchased resale and direct. We are looking to add a few small contracts over the next year or two. I must say at the rate small contracts go for on the resale market it was so incredibly easy to just call DVC and grab some points while not paying that much more (if any) than resale.

yes smaller contract demands a higher price per point. The closing costs resale are higher compared to direct this adds to the total price.

On top you are not guaranteed to get current UY + future UY points when you buy resale but you will when going direct.

Con: when going direct you risk going on a waitlist that could take like forever to fill.

yes smaller contract demands a higher price per point. The closing costs resale are higher compared to direct this adds to the total price.

On top you are not guaranteed to get current UY + future UY points when you buy resale but you will when going direct.

Con: when going direct you risk going on a waitlist that could take like forever to fill.
Living the Con now. Waiting for direct SSR Dec use year and I am almost at the end of month 2 waiting for 100 direct points.

Living the Con now. Waiting for direct SSR Dec use year and I am almost at the end of month 2 waiting for 100 direct points.

This late in the year there is a high risk that DVC wont call you until 12/1 an say "we now have points available" The reason why they wait is that they have the contract now but the contract does not hold any points until after Dec 1st.

If they called you tomorrow you would get points for 2017, 2018 and forward. By waiting you would not get 2017 points.

That is exactly what my guide said. We were offered OKW points two weeks ago with a Dec use year but turned them down because we decided just to stick with SSR. I would love the 2017 points but at the end of the day I just need more points period. I figure 1 Dec I will get the call.

That is exactly what my guide said. We were offered OKW points two weeks ago with a Dec use year but turned them down because we decided just to stick with SSR. I would love the 2017 points but at the end of the day I just need more points period. I figure 1 Dec I will get the call.

You will however "save" 11 months worth of annual dues on your 2018 points as you will pay them prorated.

I’ve been searching for a small contract and finding the same, for the high prices and the stripped contracts it’s gonna make more sense to go direct. Plus finding a small October contract is like finding needle in a haystack. I’m going to call and get my name on the list and hopefully something will show up sooner or later.

WOW! I agree wholeheartedly for all the reasons mentioned above - I just added 40 points, and only regret is not being able to have added on sooner, but it couldn't be any easier than going direct.
The process was very easy; the points show up in my DVC account right away, closing cost was cheaper, AND they let me put the entire purchase on my Disney Visa, with ZERO-interest for a year!
Again - I just WISH I had added on sooner. :)

are you planning on staying at SSR or are you going to book stuff at 7 months? B/c if the latter, then wouldn't having OKW points be just as good as SSR?

FYI - SSR points are still an overall bargain.
We usually travel in January and, since 2011, have had no trouble getting what we want at 7 months, including Aulani.
The only exception was AKL-Value OR Concierge.
With SSR-MFs so low, it pays off in the long run. If we add on a large point volume (>200),
then I might consider AKL points through resale, for 11 month advantage for Value and/or Concierge.

We have purchased resale and direct. We are looking to add a few small contracts over the next year or two. I must say at the rate small contracts go for on the resale market it was so incredibly easy to just call DVC and grab some points while not paying that much more (if any) than resale.
An alternative would have been to plan up front and buy a larger contract(s) that fit your needs. Considerably cheaper than getting forced into direct purchases due to availability.

I think if you want 50 points or under, direct is the way to go for sure.
We have not added on since our original purchase of AKV in 2008, now "thinking" about it. Have never researched it before, but if we wanted 50 points direct, what resorts could we purchase at? Would BCV, BWV, BLT, or Poly be an option direct?:confused:
Thanks, just beginning to contemplate an "add on". :goodvibes

AND they let me put the entire purchase on my Disney Visa, with ZERO-interest for a year!

Are you sure it's for a year? We just added on last month and the no interest financing on the Disney Visa is only 6 months.

FFMickey- My guide told me it was for a year;o_O I will have to verify with DIS-CC, but 6 months would be okay with me also.

Dean- I understand your comment about the "planning ahead" alternative, and I still plan to do something on that scale,
possibly 200-250 points at AKL via resale, in the next 2 years (before I retire).

In the short term, however, the direct add on was well worth it. And, when I tack the 40 points on to the 210 points I purchased in 2011, and dollar-cost-average all 250 points, it yields a cost-per-point of ~$107. I can sleep easy at night with that. AND it was soooooo easy! Regardless of how much you plan, you are at the mercy of what's available via resale at the time you are able to buy. Finding the right size of total points/price-per-point/use-year/& Resort of choice is not something that happens in a day. I was able to add on 40 points at my home resort, keep the use year, keep same contract, have the 2018 points show up in my contract, all in a matter of minutes. 40 more gets me to where I need to be for my 2020 plans, as
we are bringing our DD&SIL, DS&DIL, and all 3 Grandchildren, and I now have enough points for the 3BR-GV at SSR!:dogdance:

Lastly; the older I get, the more value I place on time & convenience, over net price in dollars. IJS :)
ET:-)

are you planning on staying at SSR or are you going to book stuff at 7 months? B/c if the latter, then wouldn't having OKW points be just as good as SSR?

Nope, contract length is different. OKW expires 2042, SSR expires 2054. Substantive difference in my mind, anyway.

FFMickey- My guide told me it was for a year;o_O I will have to verify with DIS-CC, but 6 months would be okay with me also.

Dean- I understand your comment about the "planning ahead" alternative, and I still plan to do something on that scale,
possibly 200-250 points at AKL via resale, in the next 2 years (before I retire).

In the short term, however, the direct add on was well worth it. And, when I tack the 40 points on to the 210 points I purchased in 2011, and dollar-cost-average all 250 points, it yields a cost-per-point of ~$107. I can sleep easy at night with that. AND it was soooooo easy! Regardless of how much you plan, you are at the mercy of what's available via resale at the time you are able to buy. Finding the right size of total points/price-per-point/use-year/& Resort of choice is not something that happens in a day. I was able to add on 40 points at my home resort, keep the use year, keep same contract, have the 2018 points show up in my contract, all in a matter of minutes. 40 more gets me to where I need to be for my 2020 plans, as
we are bringing our DD&SIL, DS&DIL, and all 3 Grandchildren, and I now have enough points for the 3BR-GV at SSR!:dogdance:

Lastly; the older I get, the more value I place on time & convenience, over net price in dollars. IJS :)
ET:-)
The way your OP was worded it sounded like you were looking at adding on small here and there. That approach can be a good fit for some but it raises the cost significantly. One is looking at roughly $10-20 per point difference depending on specifics because of 4 issues. Those are the price is currently higher, the additional closing, availability often pushing one to retail instead and the fact that larger contracts tend to have a better points accounting. And while current prices would place the value at more, there is no guarantee this will continue and I'd give it 50/50 that it won't. Every situation is different but often a better approach for your exact situation is to wait and then do a larger add on later.

Nope, contract length is different. OKW expires 2042, SSR expires 2054. Substantive difference in my mind, anyway.

Just FYI, When I talked to our guide yesterday about a direct add-on, he offered OKW points with a 2057 expiry.

I doped out the numbers and, even though SSR expires 3 years sooner than OKW, SSR's lower (current) MFs make it less $$ over the life of the contract. So we are going with SSR over OKW (we don't plan trips at 11 months so home resort doesn't factor in for us).

Just FYI, When I talked to our guide yesterday about a direct add-on, he offered OKW points with a 2057 expiry.

I doped out the numbers and, even though SSR expires 3 years sooner than OKW, SSR's lower (current) MFs make it less $$ over the life of the contract. So we are going with SSR over OKW (we don't plan trips at 11 months so home resort doesn't factor in for us).
All retail purchases at OKW are 2057 expiration, actually all contracts expire in 2057 at OKW it's just that Disney owns the rights to the majority of those for the last 15 years. Because of dues and their escalation over time, the long term difference between the 2 is quite significant. The actual value today of the last 3 years is very minimal.

Oops, my bad :o You are, of course, correct... I keep forgetting about the extension! LOL

I actually bought SSR way back in the dark ages when it opened and have never regretted it... not a financial decision for me, really, though since I loved the resort and being able to walk to DTD, aka Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter