Small SUVs... who has one?

DH has a 2017 Honda HRV. I like it more than he does, but he traded in a Cadillac for it. We couldn’t afford the routine maintenance on the Cadillac.

I love my 2016 Subaru Forester. I also had a 2010 with no issues. (Just wanted a new car.)

We bought our college DD a Toyota Rav 4 that I absolutely love. Mostly because it is so easy to enter and exit. No climbing up or out- just slide in. We've had such good experiences with the reliability of Toyotas. When I finally replace my '03 Camry, it will be with a Rav 4.

I have a small SUV -- it's a loaded Ford Explorer Sport, and it's about 20 years old, so it's probably fairly different from whatever you'd buy today.

Good points:
- I like riding up high. You have a great view of the road, and it's super-convenient for going through a fast food drive-through (maybe I shouldn't list that as a positive). Stepping up into the car can be a problem -- it was for my grandmother -- so be sure your model has a running board step and a handle inside for you to grab as you step in.
- Being able to open up the back hatch is good for so many applications: Drive-in movies, Trunk-or-Treats, Picnics. The back is also a great way to transport large dogs.
- Since the back storage area is open to the back seat, it's convenient while traveling: The kids can reach over the seat and access snacks or whatever you've stored in that area.
- When it's raining, I love that the hatch shelters you when you're putting groceries into the back.
- As I said, ours is about 20 years old. We bought it "barely used", and we've taken good care of it -- it's probably going away soon, but it has lasted.

Bad points:
- SUVs are not cheap-to-keep cars. They guzzle gas (oh, so much gas), and you'll be shocked and amazed at the cost of tires. Any repair costs more than it would on a small sedan; the parts are larger and more expensive. Do not underestimate the price increase you'll find between a sedan and a small SUV.
- The storage in the back isn't as big as you might imagine; for example, even with the two back seats laid down, it was not big enough to move all our daughter's things into a college dorm.
- I'm not using the best word choices here: The side bars around the windshield and the metal sides are fairly "chunky" and can create blind spots. Backing out in a busy parking lot is a bit scary.
- Lifting /closing the back hatch requires some muscle. When my kids were small, they couldn't do it.
- Ours only has four seat belts.

I drove an Explorer and an Escape. I actually preferred the Escape; it felt more roomy to me. I now drive a car (Hyundai Sonata) and do love it, but it is harder to get in and out of and I miss sitting up higher. My next vehicle will likely be another small SUV.

I have a 2016 Honda HR-V. LOVE it. It's SO comfortable, handles beautifully, and is exactly the right height to just step in and out of, rather than climbing into. So far it has only needed routine maintenance, and I've put 63,000 miles on it in just over two years. I traded in a 2011 Ford Escape for it, after nothing but problems with the Escape. The receptionist at the Ford Service center knew me so well she'd ask me about my vacations whenever she saw me. The service center people are NOT supposed to know you that well. I had had a 1997 Ford Explorer before the Escape and had been very happy with it, but after the Escape, it'd take a lot for me to buy another Ford.

I have a small SUV -- it's a loaded Ford Explorer Sport, and it's about 20 years old, so it's probably fairly different from whatever you'd buy today.

Bad points:
- SUVs are not cheap-to-keep cars. They guzzle gas (oh, so much gas), and you'll be shocked and amazed at the cost of tires. Any repair costs more than it would on a small sedan; the parts are larger and more expensive. Do not underestimate the price increase you'll find between a sedan and a small SUV.
- Lifting /closing the back hatch requires some muscle. When my kids were small, they couldn't do it.
- Ours only has four seat belts.

You really cannot compare your 20 year old explorer to the current Edge or Escape. On a road trip, I can easily get 27-28 MPG, and I have AWD in my Edge, our Escape can get even better. Even with mixed city/hwy I still get 22-23 in my Edge. Gas mileage in small SUV's have come a long way in 20 years.
Same for the lift gates, and they all have 5 seat belts these days.

You really cannot compare your 20 year old explorer to the current Edge or Escape. On a road trip, I can easily get 27-28 MPG, and I have AWD in my Edge, our Escape can get even better. Even with mixed city/hwy I still get 22-23 in my Edge. Gas mileage in small SUV's have come a long way in 20 years.
Some of this is probably true; that's why I noted the age of my Explorer. However, even 22-23 MPG is a far cry from the 38-40 MPG I get in my newer car, so even the new SUVs are more expensive to keep than a similar-aged sedan -- gas mileage has improved in all vehicles, not just SUVs.

I have a 2007 Honda CRV that I've owned since it was new. Knock wood, we've hardly had to fix anything besides routine maintenance (and absolutely nothing till relatively recently...) When this one gives out I'll definitely consider getting another one. I like it for the reason you said -- it's easy to get into/out of and I feel like I'm sitting high enough that I can see, but not driving a tank.
LOL. I would expect any modern car to go 10 years without issues. Or if there ARE issues I would expect the manufacturer to step up. The newest car we have is a 2007 Taurus, and the fuel pump went out AFTER the normal warranty, but Ford had issues with fuel pumps, so the repair was free since they extended the warranty on fuel pumps.
My 2003 Focus went 13 years before the first repair, the alternator went out.
My wife's 2000 Mountaineer had the air bag warning light come on while still under the normal warranty, so that was free. And the first repair we made that we paid for was at 15 years when an ABS sensor failed.
Now, my 1987 Suburban, not so much. I had to replace a water pump and radiator before 10 years.

I posted earlier about my car issues- since it's an older car (I bought it used) it might not be worth it to put a lot of money into it so of course I started looking at cars online. :rolleyes2 If we do end up getting something else I would like a smallish suv- I have a 4 dr sedan right now and with my hip issues sometimes it's hard to get out of or get down into it so I would like something that sits a little higher. I like the Ford Edge and Ford Escape but am open to pretty much anything. What do you have you would recommend or what do you have that you want to warn me about? LOL

My last three vehicles have been Ford Escapes. I love my Escapes. Unfortunately they have changed the body design to mimic the Edge (2012 is the first I believe). I will not be buying one as my mom has an Edge and I dislike the bullet design. (due to a long torso I hit a blind spot when I drive it and to keep the top edge of the roof out of my sight line I have to put the seat really low which also makes me have a blind spot)

I thought that the Escape had the best of both worlds in that it handled like a SUV with out the bulk and it had Front Wheel Drive and came with a V6.

so thats what there calling them now a days, I have a big one

That's what they all say:P:P:P

ITA. I had a 2002 Jeep GC compared to my new one, night & day. I love the ECO system on the new one. I use about 1/2 the gas I used to. I would bet the smaller Cherokee or Compass would be even better

I don't know if it counts as it is small, but I'm on my second Juke. Love it!

My last three vehicles have been Ford Escapes. I love my Escapes. Unfortunately they have changed the body design to mimic the Edge (2012 is the first I believe). I will not be buying one as my mom has an Edge and I dislike the bullet design. (due to a long torso I hit a blind spot when I drive it and to keep the top edge of the roof out of my sight line I have to put the seat really low which also makes me have a blind spot)

I thought that the Escape had the best of both worlds in that it handled like a SUV with out the bulk and it had Front Wheel Drive and came with a V6.

The current Escape is also 4-cylinder only. Base is a 2.5, next up a 1.5 turbo, and the top engine is a 2.0 turbo. It's hard to find a 2.0T on the lots outside of the AWD ones (which are also tough to find around here).

I posted earlier about my car issues- since it's an older car (I bought it used) it might not be worth it to put a lot of money into it so of course I started looking at cars online. :rolleyes2 If we do end up getting something else I would like a smallish suv- I have a 4 dr sedan right now and with my hip issues sometimes it's hard to get out of or get down into it so I would like something that sits a little higher. I like the Ford Edge and Ford Escape but am open to pretty much anything. What do you have you would recommend or what do you have that you want to warn me about? LOL

I certainly understand the hip issues! I've had both hips replaced this past year.
I now have a 2016 Chevy Equinox and it is the perfect height for me. Love the power seat that I position to the lowest and farther back when getting in or out and after I get in I raise it up higher to the position that suits me. So you might want to check out the power seat option.
Before I had a 2000 Honda Accord and I dearly loved it but the last year I drove it I literally cried getting in and out because of my hip issues.

We have a 2017 Honda CR-V Touring and really like it. It’s great on road trip with all the driver assist features in it plus for the size there’s lots of rear seat and cargo room.

I have a 2007 Honda CRV that I've owned since it was new. Knock wood, we've hardly had to fix anything besides routine maintenance (and absolutely nothing till relatively recently...) When this one gives out I'll definitely consider getting another one. I like it for the reason you said -- it's easy to get into/out of and I feel like I'm sitting high enough that I can see, but not driving a tank.

We also have a 2007 CR-V. Amazing car. They are the best selling small SUV for several years running. Highly recommend. I'll definitely buy another one when it's time.

I'm on my second Rav4, I have really liked both of them. We are a small family of 3, so we don't need a lot of seating. When we haul friends places it does get a bit cramped, but that is a rare thing.

I get great gas mileage and it is so reliable. I can't say enogh gokd things about toyotas.

Prior to this I had a ford focus and I had a ton of trouble out of it. So much so that I probably won't ever buy another ford

Prior to this I had a ford focus and I had a ton of trouble out of it. So much so that I probably won't ever buy another ford
DS bought a Ford Focus(used from a dealer a year old) and it was a disaster! The transmission was horrible and after multiple service calls and no fix the used car dealer took it back and he got a Toyota Corolla. I would never purchase a Ford after this experience.

I have a 2017 Mazda CX5 and couldn't be happier. Roomy, great on gas and a smooth ride. Never thought to look at Mazda's until I saw the latest ratings and it was way up on the list at #2 pretty consistently.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter