Small SUVs... who has one?

I drive a 2016 Honda CR-V. Prior to buying it, I also test drove a Toyota RAV4, a Hyundai Tucson, and a Mazda CX-5. I was also going to test drive a Nissan Rogue and Kia Sorrento, but I was ready to get the buying process over with and new that the Mazda and Honda were more highly rated anyway. My favorite was the Mazda, but it was more than I wanted to spend. I've been happy with the way my Honda CR-V runs, but I joke that I got a lemon. I've had some small cosmetic issues (plastic piece behind the interior door latch falling off, etc.), and I'm going to need to take it in for a weird mildew smell that lasts a few seconds when you first turn the A/C on. To answer your question about getting in and out, I think the height is very convenient.

My aunt and uncle have a Kia Soul and love it. They needed something higher (easy to get into) and good on gas. They have great reviews.

I just bought my teen dd a Pontiac Vibe... no longer made, but was built like a Toyota Corolla. Great fuel economy and deceptively large cargo area.

[QUOTE="l
I have a 2017 Mazda CX5 and couldn't be happier. Roomy, great on gas and a smooth ride. Never thought to look at Mazda's until I saw the latest ratings and it was way up on the list at #2 pretty consistently.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs[/QUOTE]

We got the CX9 and I love it - the CX5 and CX7 are really nice too, but I needed a 3rd row seat and some room for stuff if the whole family was in the car. I'm averaging 25MPG with it, and drive in the city, very little highway. Mine was a 2016 and I feel like it was the best value for what we needed. Easy for my parents to get in and out of too!

I'll preface this by saying, I hate small "SUVs". I don't understand their appeal, as functionally speaking there are always better choices. But that's why there's dozens of flavors of ice cream...something to suit everyones' tastes.

The Escape is so-so as far as those SUVs go. Best of the bunch would be the CR-V (which is really a Civic wearing SUV styling) or the Mazda CX-3 (a Mazda3 wearing SUV styling). The lines get kinda blurry in body styles, but I think something that really is more of a true wagon just with a lift may be better. Think Nissan Juke, Kia Soul, Subie Forrester.

I think something that really is more of a true wagon just with a lift may be better. Think Nissan Juke, Kia Soul, Subie Forrester.

If only the Kia Soul came with AWD.

I drive a 2008 Nissan Rogue, and I don't hate it as much as others hate theirs, but it's not my all time favorite car. That honor might go to my 2000 Forester.

I have a 2014 Buick Encore. Its definitely small, but surprisingly spacious for front seat passengers. Certainly not great for carrying much cargo, but it drives andrides nice and gets good mileage, so I can't complain. Bought it used about 6 months ago and have put on about 12000 miles (60000 total) and have had zero problems.

If only the Kia Soul came with AWD.

I drive a 2008 Nissan Rogue, and I don't hate it as much as others hate theirs, but it's not my all time favorite car. That honor might go to my 2000 Forester.

I know someone with a 2008 Nissan Rogue. I've borrowed it a few times and did stuff like change the oil to return the favor.. I seems reliable enough to last 9 years without any major problems. I heard that the CVT reliability could be an issue but so far it's fine. It drives OK, but it's got some pretty poor NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) characteristics. It's definitely pretty loud and there is some rattling sound from somewhere that's been there since it's been new. The owners say they won't buy another Nissan.

We have a 2009 Nissan Rogue and love it. DH wants to trade it in for a newer Rogue because he wants all the new bells and whistles, but I am holding out because I don't want to start over on car payments again.

I had decided on a 2016 Rogue from CarMax....but maybe should rethink since there are some iffy posts here.

Love our Honda CRV. Perfect size for empty nesters but room to take a grandkid or two along.

I had decided on a 2016 Rogue from CarMax....but maybe should rethink since there are some iffy posts here.

There's nothing wrong with the Rogue, it's fairly competent, but it's an "also ran" in it's category.

I leased a 2016 Jeep Compass last summer and I love it. For me it was bigger than my focus and gets me from point A to point B with extra room for road trips.

I know someone with a 2008 Nissan Rogue. I've borrowed it a few times and did stuff like change the oil to return the favor.. I seems reliable enough to last 9 years without any major problems. I heard that the CVT reliability could be an issue but so far it's fine. It drives OK, but it's got some pretty poor NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) characteristics. It's definitely pretty loud and there is some rattling sound from somewhere that's been there since it's been new. The owners say they won't buy another Nissan.

We have a 2009 Nissan Rogue and love it. DH wants to trade it in for a newer Rogue because he wants all the new bells and whistles, but I am holding out because I don't want to start over on car payments again.

I had a 2008 Rogue (new) for a few years. It was very comfortable and reliable. I think I put about 60000 miles on it in 3 years. If you keep up with it, it should be fine.

Here's my beef with the early Rogues, and this is maybe the primary reason I got rid of it: the rear visibility is just terrible. If you drive one, check it out and be sure to park and back out of a parking place. The rear pillars really block the view. I think Nissan realized this fairly quickly and it became one of the first, if not the first, non-luxury vehicles to have a standard backup camera, which I believe is standard on everything now. I'm not sure what year they started with the rear camera, but I would not touch one without it. I've heard the 2nd generation Rogues are much better in that regard and also come with the backup camera (they might also have the blind spot indicators standard, but don't quote me on that). I think the newer Rogues started around 2014, but I could be off and also keep in mind they sold both generation Rogues for a few years...the 1st generation was branded Rogue Select.

I had a 2008 Rogue (new) for a few years. It was very comfortable and reliable. I think I put about 60000 miles on it in 3 years. If you keep up with it, it should be fine.

Here's my beef with the early Rogues, and this is maybe the primary reason I got rid of it: the rear visibility is just terrible. If you drive one, check it out and be sure to park and back out of a parking place. The rear pillars really block the view. I think Nissan realized this fairly quickly and it became one of the first, if not the first, non-luxury vehicles to have a standard backup camera, which I believe is standard on everything now. I'm not sure what year they started with the rear camera, but I would not touch one without it. I've heard the 2nd generation Rogues are much better in that regard and also come with the backup camera (they might also have the blind spot indicators standard, but don't quote me on that). I think the newer Rogues started around 2014, but I could be off and also keep in mind they sold both generation Rogues for a few years...the 1st generation was branded Rogue Select.

My husband has a 2013 or 14 (whatever year they changed the body style) and has had no issues.

For me, visibility is an issue in all small suvs that I have driven. Rear, sides and front. That's one of the reasons that I'll likely never get one for my everyday vehicle.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Kia Sorento, which I love! It's not huge, but big enough for four of us (including two tall adult sons) to travel. When we bought it in 2012, we were also looking a the Ford Escape. My DH looked up crash and safety data for both, and said the Kia's ratings were far superior to the Ford's. This was several years ago so it could have changed since then with newer models. At the time, the Kia was the safer choice and we really like everything about it.

I wanted the Sorrento, but I was looking at a 2014. I loved the size because I am used t my 2004 Highlander. The new Sorrento is HUGE in comparison.

Lorelei- I am car shopping, and was not happy. My Highlander got hit, and then after we took it to the garage for tires YIKES! My SUV has 190,000 miles with minimal repairs, but now I find I have repairs that I cannot justify, so shopping we are. I think I have narrowed my choice to the Hyundai Tucson SE. I like the size, which surprised me. I had not planned on a crossover, but this vehicle is pretty darn nice.

I have a 2016 Mazda CX5. I really like this vehicle. I did get all the upgrades including the bigger tires so I am not sure how I would like it if I didn't have that. This car is different from the older models. Its fast, but I have to put it in a different mode to make it drive super fast. (and that really works) I think its to save on gas. It parks nicely, easier than our Giant Expedition that we got rid of. It has sensors to alert you to vehicles or things on the side of you. Overall I am very happy and plan on driving it for another 7-9 years. (I keep cars forever)

I have a 2016 Nissan Rogue and have had no problems with it. I bought it new, I was undecided between it and the Rav4 but went with it because the dealer for the Rav4 both here in town and in Atlanta were rude and condescending. I have a backup camera so visibility out the back is no problem, there is also a front parking camera, which I use more than the backup camera. I love the blind side sensors on the side mirrors. It's big enough to haul our dive gear and the back seat is big enough for 3 people with plenty of room.

I noticed that when driving it and making lane changes. Those rear side windows are so tiny they might as well not be there.

However, the one I’ve driven had a dealer installed aftermarket backup sensor by Parrot. It kind of gives an on and off beep that gets louder and faster, but the gets really loud with a continuous chime when something is inches away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter