Smart speakers being tested in Disney rooms

Interesting! I’m guilty of wanting to ask Alexa or Google Home something simple like weather when I’m away. If I’m offered this at BC, I will definitely opt-in to see it in action!

I’m curious if Disney will choose Google Home and the adorable Mickey stand, or if there will be a special made Disney device that you say “Ok Disney” to or something.

I'm the opposite - I don't "get" these smart speakers (Alexa, google home, whatever) and have zero interest in ever having one ... and the idea of something or some one "listening" to me in my hotel room, um, no thanks

I'm the opposite - I don't "get" these smart speakers (Alexa, google home, whatever) and have zero interest in ever having one ... and the idea of something or some one "listening" to me in my hotel room, um, no thanks
Understandable! I’m sure people plenty will opt-out. I’m just at the point where I feel everything is already tracked, especially by Disney. I disable plenty of things on my phone and personal devices, but I kinda embrace things that can make my home life (or possibly now vacations) more convenient.

I don't buy the they are listening to you stuff. I love my Alexa. I have wifi outlets and use it to turn on lights, my TV, etc.

Interesting! I’m guilty of wanting to ask Alexa or Google Home something simple like weather when I’m away. If I’m offered this at BC, I will definitely opt-in to see it in action!

I’m curious if Disney will choose Google Home and the adorable Mickey stand, or if there will be a special made Disney device that you say “Ok Disney” to or something.
They do supposedly have Disney commands such as what are park hours, and stuff like that.

They only listen for the wake word and they do not transmit anything back to the server or anywhere else until they hear it.

I don't buy the they are listening to you stuff. I love my Alexa. I have wifi outlets and use it to turn on lights, my TV, etc.

I think they pick up and track more than you are aware - I know that is the case with phones and other things.

And it's more I don't see the need for it - but I get that I am old and not hip nor jiggy with it

I think they pick up and track more than you are aware - I know that is the case with phones and other things.

And it's more I don't see the need for it - but I get that I am old and not hip nor jiggy with it
I know things track you and I really don't care at this point because I have so many devices that probably do track me. It is what it is.

They only listen for the wake word and they do not transmit anything back to the server or anywhere else until they hear it.
Kind of. But there are many occurrences of that being false. Then there’s also the drop in feature that allows people to listen in without the person knowing. None of this is regulated, along with all of our data, so companies can do what they want with it without telling us.
The device has to listen to every word you say in order to find the wake word.
I do like the convenience of Cortana and Alexa but implicitly trusting them with your privacy isn’t a solid idea.

I disagree but right now its only a test and you can opt out.
I can always opt out at any time by unplugging, too. :) Up to everyone as to whether they are ok with it or not, but the devices are always in listening mode -- that's just a fact -- it's obviously the only way they could detect the key word. Someone who knows what they're doing can certainly hack and listen in. And they can malfunction (e.g. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/business/amazon-alexa-conversation-shared-echo.html). And it's up to you how much you trust Amazon and their collection practices. Not that I'm doing anything worth listening into (!!), but I just don't like that. Personal preference.

I do like the convenience of Cortana and Alexa but implicitly trusting them with your privacy isn’t a solid idea.
I agree but didn't privacy kind of go out the window with most social media, smart phones, or any smart device really? Heck I am sure even my smart TV does some sort of tracking on me. I do get why some may not like it though.

They don't. As an IT professional I have monitored the traffic coming from the ones that I have.

Yeah, no bugs in software, nothing will change during updates or new patches either.

There are bugs that happen all the time. That is different than active spying and if you use anything with software you run that risk.

Kind of. But there are many occurrences of that being false. Then there’s also the drop in feature that allows people to listen in without the person knowing. None of this is regulated, along with all of our data, so companies can do what they want with it without telling us.
The device has to listen to every word you say in order to find the wake word.

That's not how drop in works, and that is an Echo feature which these are not. I also do not implicitly trust them, I have read, tested and verified.

I agree but didn't privacy kind of go out the window with most social media, smart phones, or any smart device really? Heck I am sure even my smart TV does some sort of tracking on me. I do get why some may not like it though.
Yes most people seem to have surrendered their right to privacy without thinking about it. It comes down a lot to which companies you interact with. If you use Facebook or Google or Amazon, they have everything saved about you and sell it regularly. If you use Apple, they claim to not sell anything ever. Microsoft has a mix. If you go use Tor and Duck Duck Go and have a lead lined bag for your smart phone, you’re tracked significantly less. Unless you’re careful, pretty much anything connected to the internet is collecting and selling your data. And that’s fine with a lot of people.

I despise this idea (these always-listening devices), and you can be sure I'll unplug it for the length of my stay if they add these. Nope.

I've been keeping our echo on mute mostly. We have a smart plug for our great room (family room) so we use it for that and other things but when not in use the echo is usually on mute. One would think that maybe they have that option in the rooms-though echo lights up red the whole time it's on mute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!