Smart speakers being tested in Disney rooms

I wondered if someone would post that. The article I was reading didn't mention this next part but I wonder if you had it on mute if it still records things that then can be listened to later on or not.

Our new home under construction will be an entirely smart or connected home. I have a smart speaker now and am aware of all the privacy concerns and am willing to accept them. At our ages safety and convenience overrides a company hearing me tell a smart speaker to turn off the bathroom light. But for those with privacy concerns don't get one.

More power to you!!

My point is that buyer should beware and understand that these companies get to choose how much they hear and what they do with it. And they deliberately make privacy settings difficult to navigate in many cases to maximize their data collection/analytic capabilities. Our laws don’t keep up wrt privacy — that part is pathetic.

And many of these companies have proven in the past that they’ll give access to government entities if asked — and I’m not talking about only when they have a specific warrant for an individual.

I’d bet many don’t get that.

We can each decide how we feel about that and what we do about it, but people should be aware.

That’s all.

Last edited:
Personally I think it is on the consumer to do that research on their own. I know that devices and what not are tracking me and really at this point I don't care. I have a smart phone, smart watch, smart TV, Amazon Echo, etc. It's just whatever to me at this point. I like all my devices for what they do and the convenience they are.

Personally I think it is on the consumer to do that research on their own.
That’s lovely to say, but not everyone understands this technology. Congress certainly doesn’t!!

Many are from a different generation and there is a knowledge gap — not universally true but generally there are differences.

Consumer rights organizations exist for exactly these kinds of reasons — consumer education/protection. That’s not illegitimate.

And I am HUGE on personal responsibility btw!!!! But there are places like this where education is lacking with technology that evolves so rapidly. Sometimes consumers need an assist — and they’re generally not getting much of one these days.

That’s lovely to say, but not everyone understands this technology. Congress certainly doesn’t!!

Many are from a different generation and there is a knowledge gap — not universally true but generally there are differences.

Consumer rights organizations exist for exactly these kinds of reasons — consumer education/protection.
Its not different than anything else. Its like buying a car, house, taking a vacation. All of that requires research. If you go in blind and don't find out the downsides to these things its mostly your fault. Sure there is some liability elsewhere in many situations but to me it is what it is.

I do get the concern but I also think some make a bigger deal out of this than maybe it needs to be.

Mo
And many of these companies have proven in the past that they’ll give access to government entities if asked — and I’m not talking about only when they have a warrant.

You may have information that I don't, but everything I've seen publicly announced (again, you may have behind the scenes information the rest of us don't) shows that both Google and Amazon have fought law enforcement trying to resist releasing user information until a court ordered warrant has been issued.
After that they really don't have much choice.

Its not different than anything else. Its like buying a car, house, taking a vacation.
Nope. Can’t agree with that. Pace of technological evolution and the learning curve to understanding how to protect your privacy are decidedly different here. And these are companies that TRY to make it difficult for you to understand/navigate. They have every business incentive to do so and they are for all intents and purposes in a barely regulated space.

Nope. Can’t agree with that. Pace of technological evolution and the learning curve to understanding how to protect your privacy are decidedly different here. And these are companies that TRY to make it difficult for you to understand/navigate. They have every business incentive to do so and they are for all intents and purposes in a barely regulated space.
To each their own.

They already have a bunch of my info so there is no turning back at this point unless I go live in the north of WI with no internet TV and wrestle bears for food.

You may have information that I don't, but everything I've seen publicly announced (again, you may have behind the scenes information the rest of us don't) shows that both Google and Amazon have fought law enforcement trying to resist releasing user information until a court ordered warrant has been issued.
After that they really don't have much choice.
That’s according to their recent statements. Who really knows? Google PRISM for an NSA program that wasn’t quite kosher.

To each their own.

They already have a bunch of my info so there is no turning back at this point unless I go live in the north of WI with no internet TV and wrestle bears for food.
Yeah. Those are the only options...

:rotfl:

That’s according to their recent statements. Who really knows? Google PRISM for an NSA program that wasn’t quite kosher.
I'm familiar with PRISM, that's why I explicitly specified "publicly" and left the opening that you might have information not available to the rest of us.

I'm familiar with PRISM, that's why I explicitly specified "publicly" and left the opening that you might have information not available to the rest of us.
No — no non-public knowledge beyond anecdotal from a friend who worked at google for many years. I know that will not be considered as evidence from a stranger on an anonymous board (as it shouldn’t, logically) so I don’t bother referencing that.

And if you’re familiar with it you know they didn’t have specific warrants to collect mass data in PRISM like the public would have thought. And various agency heads lied to Congress about some activities. A tad shady. Enough reason to be skeptical — not paranoid, but skeptical of what these companies might do with your data. That’s all.

Last edited:
To each their own.

Totally agree.

At this point there is so much information out there about me (all of us) on the internet from so many hacks, my bank card has been compromised twice (so far), my home address shows up on all these sites even after I take it down, my city has cameras everywhere and I walk, a lot, so I'm all over those videos.

Have at it people! Watch my life, it's pretty fun. :)

Glad this thread was brought back! I meant to share that I checked into BC CL on 4/6 and nothing about the speakers were mentioned. Guess it hasn't rolled out to the 5th floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter