Smartwatch suggestions

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
I'm debating getting a smart watch. I don't want an Apple Watch, but something that will sync with my Android (Samsung) phone.

Other wants/concerns:
* Activity (step) tracker
* Long battery life (prefer at least a week). I know this is going to be the rough spot. I don't want to have to charge a watch every night
* Countdown/countup app (stopwatch)
* Automatic time sync (it would be great to be able to turn this off... if we're on a cruise or something)
* Prefer a face choice that looks like an analog watch
* Prefer a round face
* I think I'd like to be able to read text/emails on the watch, but not sure
* Prefer a metal band

Any ideas/suggestions? I've been looking online and it looks like many have batteries that only last "up to" 24 hours (I read "up to" and automatically cut the next number in half). And I figure that "up to" figure is in extremely basic mode.

TIA

I can't think of a smartwatch off the top of my head that will have great battery life while all the radios are on. I have a Garmin VivoActive 3. It meets most of your criteria but I don't use it for smart notifications which means I only have it connected to my phone when I'm uploading activities or downloading updates. The means the Bluetooth radio is only one a few minutes per day as opposed to all the time which is needed for notifications. I can get 3 or 4 days of battery time out of it the way I use it but I use it more as a fitness tracker and watch than a connected smart watch.

You may want to look into the Movado Connect watches. My brother-in-law loves his but he does charge it every day. Charging it a little every day isn't that big of a deal if you just charge it while you shower. Most charge quickly and there is no reason to wear it in the shower. The VA3 is a swim watch and water resistant but I still charge it while I'm showering.

You may want to look into the [URL='https://www.movado.com/us/en/shop-watches/movado-connect-3660016.html' said:
Movado Connect[/URL] watches. My brother-in-law loves his but he does charge it every day. Charging it a little every day isn't that big of a deal if you just charge it while you shower. Most charge quickly and there is no reason to wear it in the shower. The VA3 is a swim watch and water resistant but I still charge it while I'm showering.

I had a Movado Connect, had to return it - VERY HEAVY- keep that in mind.

Thanks. I did some more research and ended up ordering a Gear S3. We'll see if I like it. I usually take my watch off each night, so charging each day isn't much a problem, but there are occasionally times when I'll wear it for 18-24 hours. Don't want it to go dead on me. lol I was a little worried about the weight, but when I looked up the specs on my current watch (Casio WaveCeptor), I think the S3 is almost 1/2 the weight, and even slightly larger.

I, my wife, and two of our kids have Garmin VivoActive HR watches and really like them.

I don't care if it's an Apple Watch or an Android watch, if you pick the right one for you, a smart watch can become a part of your daily routine. I got an Apple Watch (second series) a week ago and can't do without it now! I had an Android watch but switched to Apple because I have Apple everything else, but the Android one I had was brilliant too and probably better for use with other Android stuff.

Just make sure you don't have your pants pulled down over the price. Read reviews and get opinions. If you do, you can't go wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter