Smoke in our room!!

LIGrumpyGirl

DIS Veteran
Just got back from an 8 night stay at SSR. I will leave a mini trip report later but I HAD to share our one horrible experience with you all.

On Good Friday, I left the room to find a Walmart to do a little shopping. My DH and DD4 went down to the arcade. They went back up about 30 minutes later but mousekeeping was there so they left again to wait for me in the parking area. We all went back up about 20 minutes later. As I am opening the door I hear a beeping sound. When I opened the door I am hit with a wall of SMOKE!!!!! I ran out with my DD4 (I am pregnant and didn't want to be near the smoke)...DH yelled out there was a towel on the toaster. This was definitely the mousekeeping's doing...everything was in its place when we left.

I ran (ok waddled) to the elevator (I know shouldnt use the elevator at this time but i couldnt run down 3 flights pregnant with a 4yr in tow in time.
) Got down to the ONLY emergency phone in the place and call the operator who got me 911. There was a very nice man checking into his room who heard my frantic call who ran to help hubby (turns out he was a fireman). 5 minutes later there were a lot of dvc people around with security and then a fire truck. By this point we knew it was just smoke but it was bad! DD4 was hysterical crying which made me cry.

Fast foward...they didnt want to change my room but my husband insisted. They found us another room (with a lovely view of the construction) and we packed up. They had us walk to the new room (yes it was in the springs but in another building around the corner)...yes waddling pregnant woman and 4 yr old. Didn't offer to drive us or give us the room number so we could drive. Some of the women came back and gave us 2 baskets of disney snacks and gifts to say "SORRY WE SMOKED YOU OUT". Too bad they were full of coffee and chocolate...two things pregnant women can't have!

Don't get me wrong...there were some very helpful people throughout this ordeal but I have some major issues that I will be following up on:
1. We had to insist on a new room. We kept an eye on the old room...the sliding door was kept open for 2 days to air it out. I was supposed to stay there??
2. I hardly think a gift basket is compensation for a smoked out room!
3. My biggest concern now is there is only 1 hotel phone in the whole building. There were fire alarms to break but I knew there was no fire just bad smoke.
4. The smoke alarm was going off for my guess 5 minutes based on the amount of smoke in the room. It did not trigger any alarm anywhere in the resort. Which means nobody is monitoring the alarms...they are not centralized. If we went to a park or out to lunch there would have been a BIG problem.

I intend to follow through with points 3 and 4 with SSR, DVC and the Reedy (Reddy? I have to check my notes) Creek Emergency services. I mentioned my concerns to the people I saw that day but I intend to follow through with this. Safety of my family is first and foremost to me. If I will be here for another 40-something years, I want to know that we are safe.

Please know that I am posting this just so you know to check those electrical appliances when you leave your room. Also know where the emergency exits and phones are at all times...I am glad I knew!

To think, before this incident, I was most upset the closest trash room was on the first floor. Other than this we had the best trip. I will definitely post all our wonderful experiences but I wanted to get this out there ASAP.

You had to ask for another room? Completely unacceptable!!!!!!! They should have moved you on their own, had a team of bell hops carry your luggage, and treated you to dinner. A basket is a nice touch but not enough for a scare like this. I sometimes wonder if DVC figures they already have our money so all they have to provide is the least amount of service. By the sounds of it you and your husband handled this a lot calmer than I would have. Mistakes happen and I'm cool with that. But it's the way they handle the situation that I'll remember the clearest.

At OKW for major problems (like the room above us overflowing and flooding our bathroom) we were given a free meal at Olivia's. They cleaned the room, we didn't have to move.

Since SSR has no full service restaurant, the baskets may be their "equivalent." However, I do think you should have been assigned to a new room right away.

sorry you had a bad experience, and glad you are following up on your concerns.

question though: Pregnant women can't have chocolate? So that's my problem..... ;)

Rozzie said:
sorry you had a bad experience, and glad you are following up on your concerns.

question though: Pregnant women can't have chocolate? So that's my problem..... ;)

Sorry should have said..."shouldn't have". There is as much caffeine in chocolate than in some sodas.

Thanks for the support...I am writing my letter to DVC as we speak to address the safety issues.

Chuck S said:
At OKW for major problems (like the room above us overflowing and flooding our bathroom) we were given a free meal at Olivia's. .
geez......
we were given a room at the poly that had a very pungent, dank smell (& a dumpster on the patio to boot :guilty: ).
figured we would deal with it. then my asthma started acting up (horrible wheezing), & DH looked CLOSELY thru the room: tons of black mold ALL over the place (IN the patterned carpet, all over the A/C vents, patio doors, drapes, etc).
called FD, & after over 15 minutes of arguing, finally convinced them to give us another room (they said that they would do it as a "one time courtesy").

on the way to the new room, we overheard gentleman in a suit angrily state that the room was "uninhabitable & NO one was supposed to enter it!".
whole episode took a few hours, then a while to use the nebulizer so i could breath again............

& they gave us
<drumroll>
a coffee maker to use AT NO CHARGE!!! :woohoo:
& to think we were content with that & the one packet of coffee that came with it...... :confused3

Wow, that's AWFUL! Both the smoke and management's bad form. And that smoke detector does worry me. I always had the feeling that someone would come running if you looked at those things funny. I guess not!

DisFlan

I would have to agree, not only should they have moved you, but they should have upgraded your room also. I am very upset by the lack of concern for you and your family, like pp said maybe once they get our money, they don't feel the need to be treat us as regular guests. I am
glad you are ok, and would be curious to find out if you get any response to your complaint.

So terribly sorry you had this experience, but as some other posters have stated you handled this incredibly well, ESPECIALLY being pregnant! (you have my sympathies about the chocolate and pregnancy, great day in the morning it's hard!)

Back on topic, I think you are well within your rights to express in writing your experience. HOW IN THE WORLD did that smoke detector not trigger any reaction. Most newer homes built have the simple systems that if one alarm goes off, they all do! What the heck is going on with that? Secondly,
they should have offered more courtesy in moving you and your family especially in your condition and with a small one.

Please let us know what responce you get on this. Maybe we should all contact DVC with concerns of their fire alarm system, installing more emergency phones, ETC! Thank you for reminding all of us while in the magical land of mickey to watch for reality (fire exits and such)! I won't forget your experience. You have my sincere thanks, but am so sorry you had to experience this.

~DW

That was one frightening experience! It is definetly a "lesson learned", as I never gave a thought to know where emergency phone, exits, or fire alarms are located. I guess when it comes to Disney, I have this naive idea that nothing bad will happen.

I think Disney handled this situation horribly, by not offering or even upgrading you to another room immediately. Where is that Disney "customer service"? As for the basket, even if they don't have a full service restaurant in SSR, how about a voucher to eat at another restaurant on WDW property?

We are going to OKW in October and "home" to SSR in December. Thank you again for sharing your experience and teaching me a safety lesson.

Ok, I am confused about what happened.

How did a towel on a toaster in an empty room, catch on fire? :confused3

Sammie said:
Ok, I am confused about what happened.

How did a towel on a toaster in an empty room, catch on fire? :confused3

I have the same question. We had used it hours earlier so it was still plugged in. (MY new rule...unplug EVERYTHING before we leave). My guess is somehow the mousekeeping pushed the button down?? I am not sure...all I know is it was "a-smokin" when DH ran in. he threw it out into the hallway to get it out and of course DVC grabbed it before I was able to look at it or take a pic (not that I would have thought of that at the moment).

Sorry about the smoke out, and having to waddle so much.

You are so brave to go on a trip and do so much waddling. My family wouldn't have let me go since I was a cranky pregnant woman, all 3 times due to that big belly getting in my way.

By the way, I drank decaf coffee and ate brownie fudge sundaes when I felt like it. I have some bona fide healthy children too. There is not that much in chocolate to send you into orbit. No reason to deprive yourself.

Wishing you well with your new baby. Congratulations!

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, and you would think they would have done more for you.

On another note, many times smoke detecters are not connected to any central systems or building alarms for the same reason that you had mentioned (just smoke, no fire, no hazard to other rooms).

The rooms are required to have heat detecers. They detect a rapid rise in temperature, or a temp that is too high, indicating fire or impending fire. These detecters are connected to building alarms and alarm centers.

Sprinkler heads also work in the same fashion except at higher temps. A device either melts, or breaks, opening the sprinkler head, and a water flow alarm is generated activating a fire bell, and alerting the alarm center.

I am just telling you this for your information. I completely simpathise with your situation, and am not trying to take away from it in any way.

LIGrumpyGirl said:
Just got back from an 8 night stay at SSR. I will leave a mini trip report later but I HAD to share our one horrible experience with you all.

On Good Friday, I left the room to find a Walmart to do a little shopping. My DH and DD4 went down to the arcade. They went back up about 30 minutes later but mousekeeping was there so they left again to wait for me in the parking area. We all went back up about 20 minutes later. As I am opening the door I hear a beeping sound. When I opened the door I am hit with a wall of SMOKE!!!!! I ran out with my DD4 (I am pregnant and didn't want to be near the smoke)...DH yelled out there was a towel on the toaster. This was definitely the mousekeeping's doing...everything was in its place when we left.

I ran (ok waddled) to the elevator (I know shouldnt use the elevator at this time but i couldnt run down 3 flights pregnant with a 4yr in tow in time.
) Got down to the ONLY emergency phone in the place and call the operator who got me 911. There was a very nice man checking into his room who heard my frantic call who ran to help hubby (turns out he was a fireman). 5 minutes later there were a lot of dvc people around with security and then a fire truck. By this point we knew it was just smoke but it was bad! DD4 was hysterical crying which made me cry.

Fast foward...they didnt want to change my room but my husband insisted. They found us another room (with a lovely view of the construction) and we packed up. They had us walk to the new room (yes it was in the springs but in another building around the corner)...yes waddling pregnant woman and 4 yr old. Didn't offer to drive us or give us the room number so we could drive. Some of the women came back and gave us 2 baskets of disney snacks and gifts to say "SORRY WE SMOKED YOU OUT". Too bad they were full of coffee and chocolate...two things pregnant women can't have!

Don't get me wrong...there were some very helpful people throughout this ordeal but I have some major issues that I will be following up on:
1. We had to insist on a new room. We kept an eye on the old room...the sliding door was kept open for 2 days to air it out. I was supposed to stay there??
2. I hardly think a gift basket is compensation for a smoked out room!
3. My biggest concern now is there is only 1 hotel phone in the whole building. There were fire alarms to break but I knew there was no fire just bad smoke.
4. The smoke alarm was going off for my guess 5 minutes based on the amount of smoke in the room. It did not trigger any alarm anywhere in the resort. Which means nobody is monitoring the alarms...they are not centralized. If we went to a park or out to lunch there would have been a BIG problem.

I intend to follow through with points 3 and 4 with SSR, DVC and the Reedy (Reddy? I have to check my notes) Creek Emergency services. I mentioned my concerns to the people I saw that day but I intend to follow through with this. Safety of my family is first and foremost to me. If I will be here for another 40-something years, I want to know that we are safe.

Please know that I am posting this just so you know to check those electrical appliances when you leave your room. Also know where the emergency exits and phones are at all times...I am glad I knew!

To think, before this incident, I was most upset the closest trash room was on the first floor. Other than this we had the best trip. I will definitely post all our wonderful experiences but I wanted to get this out there ASAP.

So... are you pregnant? I wasn't sure, since you only mentioned it FOUR times in your post....

We just returned from a wonderful stay at SSR. We had an unfortunate start to our trip with our room, but Jason the room manager made sure we were satisfied. I could have been PO'd about it for the whole trip, but he was very nice and apologetic and we were compensated for our trouble. So I just chalk it up as life. I hope your whole trip wasn't ruined because of this relatively short part of the vacation, and that the rest of your vacation was magical. nancy

tchrchgo said:
So... are you pregnant? I wasn't sure, since you only mentioned it FOUR times in your post....

Why yes I am thanks! I am not sure why that bothers you. Believe me, it is the scariest moment on your life when you walk into a smoky room with your young child and unborn child.

I would respond more to your rude comment but it is not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter