Smoke in our room!!

To one LIGrumpyGirl from another - For President's Week in February, my DD, a Senior in high school, convinced me to rent some additional points so that she and 6 of her friends could rent a 2 bedroom villa (wanted BWV or BCV but only SSR was available) We stayed there a few times before and didn't give notice to Emergency Phone locations, etc. but will always look now. Anyway, I already had a 2 bedroom rented for my sister, her 3 girls, myself, DS and my mom. When we checked in I insisted that both rooms be in the same building and near each other. We were 3 rooms apart on the same floor. I'm glad I insisted on that after hearing of your predicament. Not only was I worried about my own child staying in her own room but I had 6 of her friends to think about too. Luckily everything went well. They were out of the room most of the day and only came back to sleep. I think you should follow up with Disney. Good luck with the birth!

Just an update...the matter has been put into the hands on Carli D'Agostino, Member Satisfaction Manager. will keep you updated.

rparmfamily said:
Very easy. It's called defective products. For some reason toaster ovens are the household product that causes the most fires. Here is an article about a recall on defective toasters.

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=653797

http://www.fire.org.uk/BBC_News/News2004/March/bbc020304e.htm

We never leave ours plugged in, unless using it. I guess that is why I wondered how it could happen. As the article says they should always be unplugged when not being used.

Does DVC leave theirs plugged all the time? If they do we all need to unplug them. :thumbsup2

We just received this email...

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club Member Services.

We appreciate your taking the time to write to us. Based on the nature of your comments, I have
forwarded your message to the Walt Disney World Resort Executive Offices for review.

Thank you again for your message. We are glad you are a Member of our Disney family and look
forward to entertaining you for years to come.

Sincerely,

Carli A. D'Agostino
Member Satisfaction Manager

So we are moving right up the corporate ladder!!

Sammie said:
We never leave ours plugged in, unless using it. I guess that is why I wondered how it could happen. As the article says they should always be unplugged when not being used.

Does DVC leave theirs plugged all the time? If they do we all need to unplug them. :thumbsup2

Great Point Sammie! :thumbsup2

You know, when we check into our villas, our appliances have always been unplugged. I often wondered why! LOL!!!
Now when I plug them up, I normally leave them plugged, so I will make sure from now on, I unplug them after use.
Again, thank you, because I seriously never thought about that.

Maybe that should be a separate Info Post for all Members and Guests :teacher:

I'm with Sean 1966. Not giving you a room until you demanded is completely unacceptable. They should have returned some of you points or given you some new ones for this. And just because they don't have a restaurant on the premises doesn't meant that they couldn't have gotten you a meal at any Disney place. I think I would have had someone by the throat!!!!

I'm sorry, but nowhere has the OP taken any responsibility for her or her family's role in the experience they had. Ultimately, they are partially to blame for having left an appliance plugged in (yes, housekeeping is apparently also to blame, but there is some culpability to be shared). Second, if there is smoke, pull the fire alarm. Better to be safe rather than sorry. If it was enough of an emergency that a call to 911 was appropriate, then pulling the alarm was also appropriate. Personally, I wouldn't have given the OP any more than she received. I, too, am curious as to what she expected. BTW, as someone else said, the smoke alarms are to warn the occupants of the room. There are separate fire detectors as I recall. I'm glad everyone is safe, but I think this post is filled with immense overreaction and overdramaticism. JMHO.

I am sorry that I have started such a tiff among the members of this board. Before I end my conversation on this post I wanted to address a few of Dr. P's points:
#1 I did not call 911...I called the operator to tell them about the smoke and no fire. The resort called 911.
#2 Do I take blame for it? No...I usually leave an appliance plugged in a home (apparently like others on this board). Saw no problem with it.
#3 What do I want from DVC or Disney? Nothing material. I even stated that in my letter to them. What I want are emergency phones installed on each floor as well as alarms that alert somebody. Like I told DVC, smoke was not so bad for them but if I had chosen a day in the park, it would have been bad for them! When I stated that I was upset about the baskets they gave us, I felt like they were just trying to put a band-aid on the situation.

My family and I do not believe that we overreacted...and apparently Disney does not either.

Thank you to those who sent along good wishes and thoughts. Since I feel I have been "attacked" in at least two of these posts, I will not be posting on this subject any more. When I hear back from Disney, I will refrain from posting the outcome. I am sorry about that but I come here for support and I get the opposite. No wonder others are upset about the nastiness on the boards these days...I see what they are talking about!

Doctor P said:
I'm sorry, but nowhere has the OP taken any responsibility for her or her family's role in the experience they had. Ultimately, they are partially to blame for having left an appliance plugged in

Maybe Disney should install motion detectors on the electrical breaker panels….this would kill electrical power to all appliances while no ones in the room.

Grumpygirl, I don't blame you for not posting again. Doctor P is way off base. Why he would think that you have to assume some blame is beyond me.

bpmorley said:
Grumpygirl, I don't blame you for not posting again. Doctor P is way off base. Why he would think that you have to assume some blame is beyond me.

How's about because you should never leave an appliance with a heating element in it plugged in. In fact, most small appliances should not be plugged in when they are not in use. Our neighbor's house was destroyed when they left their Water Pik plugged in. The simple fact is, the toaster was left plugged in by the guest. If it was not plugged in, then the problem doesn't occur. Furthermore, if the OP was as upset and distressed as she will now have us believe, the failure to pull a fire alarm was also stupid and put her family in danger. That's why I think the OP bears some responsibility for the circumstances that occurred. However, I wholeheartedly agree with the OP's reasonable suggestion that emergency phones be placed in the hallways to assist with emergency responses in a variety of situations. That, too, would have helped the situation. I also do not want to be misunderstood: I am very sympathetic to the OP having experienced this event, glad that no one got hurt, and sorry that it in any way was a hardship.

LIGrumpyGirl-please reconsider your decision not to post Disney's response to your letter. The information will be very valuable, particularly to those of us who own at SSR. This is a serious safety issue, and it may take many of us to lobby Disney for appropriate action.

I certainly understand your reluctance to post-perhaps you could respond individually to those of us who are interested in the resolution?

LIGrumpyGirl said:
We just received this email...

So we are moving right up the corporate ladder!!

Hate to tell you, but that is just a standard response that they send for all complaints.

I had an issue with the BW during my stay in December. After I received that response, it took over a month to hear from the executive offices. Like you, I also specifically advised them that I did not want any form of compensation. I just wanted to know that the same issues would not happen to another guest.

Do I feel that the responding representative listened to my issues? Not really. I think that they are so used to complaints where someone wants something for free that they call with a trump card in their pocket. Let's say a free meal or a free night's stay to compensate for your problem?

It's a nice gesture, don't get me wrong... but how is that really solving the problem? It doesn't... and it along with that, it didn't assure me that the problems would not happen to someone else. Unfortunately, even with the "compensation" I still have bitter feelings towards what used to be my favorite DVC resort. (I sure hope that changes during our December 2006 trip.)

I'm sorry that you got slammed by other members of this board. That is why I never posted about my whole situation. I felt bad in a way, because I couldn't advise others of issues to look out for. But I didn't feel like defending myself over issues I knew that I had no control over, and weren't my fault.

Feel free to PM me if you want specific details. I support you with your decision to escalate this issue. Oh, and good luck with your pregnancy. I have another friend who is taking care of herself, and avoiding "bad" food and any type of medication to protect her baby as much as possible. I respect you for that decision also. You can never be too careful when it comes to your unborn child.

Doctor P said:
The simple fact is, the toaster was left plugged in by the guest. If it was not plugged in, then the problem doesn't occur.

Sorry, but I think most americans leave their toasters plugged in and never give it another thought. However, most of us don't put a wet towel on the toaster.

Maybe the OP should share the responsibility with Mousekeeping. But saying it is entirely her fault is silly.

GrumpyGirl, I for one thanked you previously for bringing this to issue to attention. I really had no idea ,in case of an emergency there weren't phones on each floor. From now on I will MAKE CERTAIN I understand emergency plans in case the worst was to happen in order to keep my family a little safer.

It's disturbing to see that some overly opinionated posters felt the need to express themselves in such a crass and rude way. There have been many who have thanked you and I hope that the WDW Resort Board will address the issue to your and all of our satisfaction.

For some, owning a piece of the happiest place on Earth, apparently doesn't make them happier or friendlier people. There's a neat little trick for that too, ignore list. Remember, opinions are like Mickey Ears, everyone's got a couple!

Good Luck and again thank you!

~DW

Doctor P said:
How's about because you should never leave an appliance with a heating element in it plugged in. In fact, most small appliances should not be plugged in when they are not in use.
I'm not even going to get into this one.

bpmorley said:
I'm not even going to get into this one.

That's your prerogative. Whether people do it or not, the safety advice with appliances is that they be unplugged when not in use. This is an absolute with a heat generating appliance. I hardly think it is being harsh or insensitive to point out that the OP's failure to unplug the toaster contributed to the problem. BTW, I hope you never have a terrified child come bursting into your house because his house is on fire caused by failing to unplug a small appliance--I have had it happen to me, and I can assure you that both our family and his family have learned the lesson quite well. Again, I am sorry this happened to the OP, but I hope it is a lesson as to the dangers of leaving appliances plugged in. BTW, it is very possible that the the toaster wasn't even on. It may very well have shorted or arced if a wet towel was placed on it.

I'm learning something, and will be sure our toaster oven and coffee maker are unplugged at home. I often wondered why the coffee maker was unplugged when we checked into a villa.

Bobbi

PS. I would pull a fire alarm for smoke, one never knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter