Smoky Mountains in June

momz

DIS Veteran
We are considering a camping trip to the Smoky's in June. I would prefer to stay somewhere other than Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. There is just too much congestion there for my liking.

Years ago, we stayed in a kamping cabin at the KOA in Cherokee. We had a great time there.

I wouldn't mind staying in a tent or a kamping cabin again. We are thinking of staying for a week this time. So, my thoughts are that the cabin might be more comfortable for that length of stay. I think it would be easier to keep clean, but still have the "feel" of camping.

Any suggestions for where to look for a base camp? Any suggestions on websites that have traveler reviews for campgrounds?

Thanks, I love the outdoors!

We always camp at Elkmont Campground. It is within the national park so there are no shower facilities although there is running water/flush toilets available. There are locations in Gatlinburg, Townsend, Pigeon Forge that would allow you to shower. Townsend is great if your wanting away from the hustle and bustle of Gatlinburg. We also spent part of a day in Bryson City, NC. Neat little town with a train that leaves daily. Also some good hikes in the area.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I have been looking for a place to go for the August 2017 total solar eclipse.

We camp at the Townsend KOA three or four times a year. We love it! It is close to the entrance to the National Park and not a bad drive to Pigeon Forge. We usually just hang out at the campground and swim or play in the creek. It is not the cheapest campground but it is well worth the money to us. We talk about staying at other campgrounds but we always come back to the KOA. If you are thinking you might want to stay here, you need to book soon. The campground is very popular with locals and fills up on weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter