Smuggler's Run & DAS

For those that have rode Smuggler's Run, how rough does it feel if you have bad pilots?..
Rode with bad pilots tonight. Yes, the ride was very rough compared to my rides last week. Our pilots really didn't know what they were doing, and the one woman kept saying, "What do I do? What do I do?" We crashed a lot, and the ride was very bumpy. Hondo scolded us at the end for all the damage to the ship. Our pilots didn't seem to realize that they had anything to do with that! They were too busy taking selfies. Holding on to the bar in the seat back in front of me did help -- basically, I ignored the buttons and just held on and braced with my feet. That helped.

Last edited:
I agree that the line is well done and has lots of interesting things to see. We had fun looking at all the details. (If walking on inclines of any degree is a problem, be aware that there is one room that has several longish ramps that are slightly steep.) As long as the standby line is around 30 minutes or less, we'll do it and save DAS for another time. There are too many details that we still haven't taken in!

Those ramps were the worst part to me. I normally push my Mom in a wheelchair and those would be too much for me (there are a few other places in the park that are also hard for me), and I would tell her to get out and walk for a bit. She can do some walking so no worries there, but those ramps were hard. And I only pushed the empty wheelchair through that area!

We used DAS for the ride on our last visit and the return line has ramps, too. You enter through what will be the FP return line and take a series of ramps to rejoin the main line where Hondo is giving the instructions to his crew. When we ride BTMRR, the CMs at the return line always ask/warn us about the stairs. I think the CMs at MFSR should ask/warn guests about ramps since there are quite a few in the line.

I wanted to post our experience with MFSR ride during the reservation period, but I think it applies in general. We did NOT end up getting a DAS return time. We got in line at a 30 min posted wait time (this is within my son's ability to tolerate). It ended up being an accurate wait time. The queue is actually very visually interesting and it is largely a single file queue, without switchbacks (we skipped that portion that had switchbacks outside, as the line wasnt long enough). The worst part was it was LOUD. My son needed his earmuffs for most of the line, as there is radio "chatter" at a loud volume and every once in awhile, loud mechanical noises and hissing from compressed gas being released. I like that this line doesn't feel claustrophobic, though, which is a sensory issue for my son (he can't handle being surrounded on all sides by people, like what happens in some queue holding rooms). They do not overload the holding room with the Hondo preshow, nor the MF chess room. It is very relaxed and enjoyable. My son liked being in the MF. Not sure where the DAS entrance sends you, but there is a chance that it skips the preshow, which would be a shame.

My takeaway is, try and do the line at least once IF you think you/your child can handle it, because it is pretty neat. The line moves constantly and efficiently so you keep moving for the most part, since there is no FP yet. It didn't bother my son at all, but I will use the DAS in the future if the waits are exorbitant and he really wants to ride.

This was super helpful! Never heard of another kid like mine that doesn't like switchbacks and people on all sides! :goodvibes For the noise in line, how does it compare to other rides? If the line is constantly moving, do you move away from the noise or is it the same noise through a big section of the line? I hope that makes sense! My son doesn't wear headphones anymore, but there's only so much he can stand before he gets overloaded. He loves Indy, despite being loud, and occasionally covers his ears with his hands if it's getting too much. We will be there next month and I'd really like to see the queue if the line gets short enough.

We used DAS for the ride on our last visit and the return line has ramps, too. You enter through what will be the FP return line and take a series of ramps to rejoin the main line where Hondo is giving the instructions to his crew. When we ride BTMRR, the CMs at the return line always ask/warn us about the stairs. I think the CMs at MFSR should ask/warn guests about ramps since there are quite a few in the line.

What is the specific issue about the ramps? Are they too steep? Wouldn't they be ADA compliant, since it was just built?

What is the specific issue about the ramps? Are they too steep? Wouldn't they be ADA compliant, since it was just built?
Some ramp even those ADA compliant can be steep and sometimes very long making it just hard to get up especially after a long day of self pushing or pushing someone else in a wheelchair.

I have a good friend that used s wheelchair full time and there is a ramp at a Locke place that she will ask for help from me when I am with her. It is not that long but steep. I am sure it meets ADA requirements since this place is only 3 years old

See the answer in the quote below.

Some ramp even those ADA compliant can be steep and sometimes very long making it just hard to get up especially after a long day of self pushing or pushing someone else in a wheelchair.

I have a good friend that used s wheelchair full time and there is a ramp at a Locke place that she will ask for help from me when I am with her. It is not that long but steep. I am sure it meets ADA requirements since this place is only 3 years old
Exactly! Also, when pushing someone who is heavy, long ramps, even if they aren't particularly steep, can be a problem. If you are dealing with the ramps first thing in the morning, it might not be as exhausting as it would be towards the end of the day. And for some people, walking for more than a very short distance on any kind of incline can cause pain. Being warned ahead of time that there are inclines that require walking for at least several minutes would be helpful, especially since this is a ride that people want to go on over and over again.

Last edited:

This was super helpful! Never heard of another kid like mine that doesn't like switchbacks and people on all sides! :goodvibes For the noise in line, how does it compare to other rides? If the line is constantly moving, do you move away from the noise or is it the same noise through a big section of the line? I hope that makes sense! My son doesn't wear headphones anymore, but there's only so much he can stand before he gets overloaded. He loves Indy, despite being loud, and occasionally covers his ears with his hands if it's getting too much. We will be there next month and I'd really like to see the queue if the line gets short enough.

Well, my son won't ride Indy, but he wears his headphones on most indoor dark rides as well as coasters. He has VERY sensitive hearing and cannot handle sustained loud noise (like live bands playing) or intermittent sudden loud noises.

The queue begins outside and you wrap around the Millennium Falcon. The ship intermittently emits compressed gas from underneath it, causing loud hissing that lasts about 10 seconds. Once you enter the building, there is the "ramp room" which is kind of similar to the Star Tours queue, but there is a large ship in the center and the ramps go all the way around and up, and while you are in there, there are random loud crashing sounds, banging, and what sounds like 2 people having a very loud radio conversation about repairing a ship. This is where he needed his headphones on the whole time. Then you move to the "windows room" which is mostly quiet and allows you to see out to the ship outside. After that room, which is short, you enter the Hondo preshow room. That isn't too loud at all. Then, you are fed into boarding the ship and the chess room, which has no loud noises. So, it's not terrible and I expect your son will be okay with covering his ears as needed. Since it was new to us, my son kept his earmuffs on the whole time, but the second time we rode, he removed them in the quieter parts of the line. The ride itself is very loud...lots of shouting from Hondo and loud sound effects. It's like a TV on maximum volume, so keep that in mind.

See the answer below.

Exactly! Also, when pushing someone who is heavy, long ramps, even if they aren't particularly steep, can be a problem. If you are dealing with the ramps first thing in the morning, it might not be as exhausting as it would be at towards the end of the day. And for some people, walking for more than a very short distance on any kind of incline can cause pain. Being warned ahead of time that there are inclines that require walking for at least several minutes would be helpful, especially since this is a ride that people want to go on over and over again.

Yes, this was the problem. It was a lot of ramps and some were kind of steep. My Mom is not super heavy, but it is just hard going up all of them. I also hate stopping and having to hold the wheelchair while on ramps as I feel like I have to have a death grip on it to prevent losing grip on it. Although going uphill, it would fall back on me. I actually usually turn sideways to hold in lines as it should stay better without me having to death grip the wheelchair. This was not an issue during the reservation period, but will be interested to see long term. Wonder if I can get a DAS with the wheelchair that the ramps are too much for pushing the wheelchair. (Just kidding, sort of).

If he can handle IJA, which I consider LOUD!, then he should be okay on MFSR. Headphones or ear plugs, just in case, will come in handy, though, because there are loud elements in SWGE that aren't related to the ride. The roaster in Ronto's is loud -- it is a constant roar (supposed to be a converted pod racer engine), so if you eat anywhere near it, be prepared. I wore ear plugs. Some of the ship engine noises played intermittently throughout the land can be loud, but not overwhelming. If you stay for fireworks by the MF, it's loud since they launch just over the Spires. I wore ear plugs for those, too.

Well, my son won't ride Indy, but he wears his headphones on most indoor dark rides as well as coasters. He has VERY sensitive hearing and cannot handle sustained loud noise (like live bands playing) or intermittent sudden loud noises...
Agree. I wore ear plugs for the MFSR line and ride -- they helped. And Ronto's was loud, too.

Last edited:
Just a heads up: there are ramps in the DAS line, too! All the way up to the room with Hondo.

I think my hope is that there would be less ramps and not quite a steep as some of those in the main line. But we will make do. I can always make Mom walk or push the empty wheelchair for part of the line as needed.

I think my hope is that there would be less ramps and not quite a steep as some of those in the main line. But we will make do. I can always make Mom walk or push the empty wheelchair for part of the line as needed.
They need to make droids that will push the chair for you!

Well, my son won't ride Indy, but he wears his headphones on most indoor dark rides as well as coasters. He has VERY sensitive hearing and cannot handle sustained loud noise (like live bands playing) or intermittent sudden loud noises.

The queue begins outside and you wrap around the Millennium Falcon. The ship intermittently emits compressed gas from underneath it, causing loud hissing that lasts about 10 seconds. Once you enter the building, there is the "ramp room" which is kind of similar to the Star Tours queue, but there is a large ship in the center and the ramps go all the way around and up, and while you are in there, there are random loud crashing sounds, banging, and what sounds like 2 people having a very loud radio conversation about repairing a ship. This is where he needed his headphones on the whole time. Then you move to the "windows room" which is mostly quiet and allows you to see out to the ship outside. After that room, which is short, you enter the Hondo preshow room. That isn't too loud at all. Then, you are fed into boarding the ship and the chess room, which has no loud noises. So, it's not terrible and I expect your son will be okay with covering his ears as needed. Since it was new to us, my son kept his earmuffs on the whole time, but the second time we rode, he removed them in the quieter parts of the line. The ride itself is very loud...lots of shouting from Hondo and loud sound effects. It's like a TV on maximum volume, so keep that in mind.
Thank you for this information very helpful. How is the ride it self is it loud or have a lot of different noises.

Thank you for this information very helpful. How is the ride it self is it loud or have a lot of different noises.

It's loud. Imagine playing a video game that has lots of yelling and shooting and explosions at top volume on your tv, then add in screams from the people on the ride as your ship crashes or pitches forward unexpectedly.

It's loud. Imagine playing a video game that has lots of yelling and shooting and explosions at top volume on your tv, then add in screams from the people on the ride as your ship crashes or pitches forward unexpectedly.
So I should use my ear protector on the ride too.

I would suggest it. If you aren't the pilot, you can try removing them during the ride to see if you can handle it.
I think I will keep them on the first time. I am going opening day and I think with the crowds my threshold will be very low anyways. How much lights are there. I have ha hard time with flashing light and notic they have a lot with the shooting is it very bright or not ( I hope this make since). And it looks like you are settled my your self about how fair are you from the rider next to you. I do a lite better with visual stimulation if I am not right next to a lot of other people.

Yes, this was the problem. It was a lot of ramps and some were kind of steep. My Mom is not super heavy, but it is just hard going up all of them. I also hate stopping and having to hold the wheelchair while on ramps as I feel like I have to have a death grip on it to prevent losing grip on it. Although going uphill, it would fall back on me. I actually usually turn sideways to hold in lines as it should stay better without me having to death grip the wheelchair. This was not an issue during the reservation period, but will be interested to see long term. Wonder if I can get a DAS with the wheelchair that the ramps are too much for pushing the wheelchair. (Just kidding, sort of).

Have you thought of getting an electric motor for the manual wheelchair? You can also engage the wheel brakes when you are stopped in the queue.

I've pushed many a wheelchair in the school I work in. There should be locking brakes on both wheels of the wheelchair?

If pushing up an incline to too hard, it might be time for a switch from a wheelchair to an ECV, although they are not allowed in every queue. That would giver the pusher a break so that he/she had the strength to push a wheelchair in the queues that do not allow ECVs.

Have you thought of getting an electric motor for the manual wheelchair? You can also engage the wheel brakes when you are stopped in the queue.

I've pushed many a wheelchair in the school I work in. There should be locking brakes on both wheels of the wheelchair?

If pushing up an incline to too hard, it might be time for a switch from a wheelchair to an ECV, although they are not allowed in every queue. That would giver the pusher a break so that he/she had the strength to push a wheelchair in the queues that do not allow ECVs.

We live local and go to Disneyland all the time. I am not paying ECV rental prices to get one for my Mom all the time. And the last thing being bought for her is one of her own. She can walk and is supposed to walk as much as possible. If she got a personal ECV, she would never walk again. I know her very well. So a manual wheelchair rental at Disneyland it is. We do get her an ECV at WDW since I cannot push her all week.

And yes, I know about the brakes on the wheels on the wheelchair, but those get tiring to set and unset constantly in a line. She does not pay attention enough to be in charge of that and I don't like the reaching over all the time. Smugglers Run just has more ramps (and some pretty steep ones) than any other queue we have been in, and is probably the thing I am most disappointed in within the land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter