Smugglers Run - how roles are assigned?

I say this as a non Star Wars fan (though someone who enjoys fandom of other things)....

To many this is NOT just a ride. It is the closest they will ever get in their lifetimes to living a dream. It's decades and generations of memories with families (many of which are no longer here), feeling excitement, being anxious, getting to know and follow the lives of characters - all only previously accessible in 2D on a screen - that are now real. REAL. As real as it can ever possibly get. While we all know its "pretend", it is immersing enough that for a few minutes one can fully escape the world they live in and let go just enough to be able to experience things they have only dreamed about before. Unless you have truly been a fan of something like this, you can't really understand.

For me, it was seeing the World of Warcraft game come to life as a movie a few years back. It was the most incredible thing to see it like that - on screen. If they were to ever build a land from a zone in Azeroth you can bet I would savor every last drop of it for as long as I could and I would absolutely bring down the hammer if someone tried to take the drivers seat in my chopper.

This sort of behavior should not be "liked" and encouraged. It is a ride, a fantasy, and an adult should know better.

I say this as a non Star Wars fan (though someone who enjoys fandom of other things)....

To many this is NOT just a ride. It is the closest they will ever get in their lifetimes to living a dream. It's decades and generations of memories with families (many of which are no longer here), feeling excitement, being anxious, getting to know and follow the lives of characters - all only previously accessible in 2D on a screen - that are now real. REAL. As real as it can ever possibly get. While we all know its "pretend", it is immersing enough that for a few minutes one can fully escape the world they live in and let go just enough to be able to experience things they have only dreamed about before. Unless you have truly been a fan of something like this, you can't really understand.

For me, it was seeing the World of Warcraft game come to life as a movie a few years back. It was the most incredible thing to see it like that - on screen. If they were to ever build a land from a zone in Azeroth you can bet I would savor every last drop of it for as long as I could and I would absolutely bring down the hammer if someone tried to take the drivers seat in my chopper.

I totally agree with every you say, up until the last sentence. I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977 and it would be a dream for me to sit in that pilot seat and pull the hyperspace lever, but if I didn't get the pilot seat I wouldn't begrudge the person who did.

I totally agree with every you say, up until the last sentence. I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977 and it would be a dream for me to sit in that pilot seat and pull the hyperspace lever, but if I didn't get the pilot seat I wouldn't begrudge the person who did.

In the immortal words of Ham Salad, ace mercenary pilot and intergalactic wise guy: "Take it easy, kid, it's only a movie!"

(PS If you've never seen 'Hardware Wars', check it out: Hardware Wars on Youtube )

So from the videos I watched, everyone is in the cockpit together?

That's doubly lame especially considering the gunner position, I thought would be you know in it's own area, like it is in the real Falcon.

TUNL6Th.png
Could you imagine how great it would be if you got to climb the ladder to the gunner seat and shoot Tie Fighters just like in the movies? That would be just as cool as the pilot role.

It will be interesting to see whether people get ticked off with other 'crew members' of they mess up. If you've waited hours to go on this ride and then crash because your engineer is rubbish I can see potential issues!!!

There is no excuse, absolutely no excuse, for ANYONE to get ticked off with any other person who may not have been the greatest "pilot". Everyone gets equal chance to get picked and everyone deserves to enjoy their time as pilot.

Even reading that people were disappointed because their pilot didn't do well is annoying me to no end.

It's a ride. It's not real. You're aren't Han Solo.

oh my god. For real? This is a conversation? (not directed at poster I quoted)
:rotfl:

Last edited:
There is no excuse, absolutely no excuse, for ANYONE to get ticked off with any other person who may not have been the greatest "pilot". Everyone gets equal chance to get picked and everyone deserves to enjoy their time as pilot.

Even reading that people were disappointed because their pilot didn't do well is annoying me to no end.

Well I believe the point is to believe it actually is real. Look at how angry people get playing video games when they lose. I can totally see some people react negatively.

For me personally I just wanna be thrilled. I’ll just sit there and enjoy the movements, which hopefully feel more stronger then star tours. I always can tell I’m in a sim in Star tours. I’m not a fan of those rides that much.

Well I believe the point is to believe it actually is real. Look at how angry people get playing video games when they lose. I can totally see some people react negatively.

For me personally I just wanna be thrilled. I’ll just sit there and enjoy the movements, which hopefully feel more stronger then star tours. I always can tell I’m in a sim in Star tours. I’m not a fan of those rides that much.

Please. It's a ride and there's no excuse for people to react negatively to complete strangers. If you're disappointed that you aren't pilot, keep it to yourself. Don't ruin another person's good time.

Ugh.

I’ll be honest, a similar thought has crossed my mind. We’re going as a group of 5 and s group of 6. All family. The group of 6- they’ll probably let the two girls sit in front. My group though.... I’m happy as an engineer, but we have 3 kids who are competitive and all 3 will want to pilot. And then there’s a chance the single rider ends up a pilot....

First world problems, I know. I don’t like mission space but I do hope we have a good time on this ride.

I can see a parent wanting another adult to give pilot to their kid who wants it. Not all parents but we all know they are out there. Personally I wouldn't want to be pilot anyways and would totally switch. Too much pressure. I played Star Wars Battlepod at Dave and Busters and screamed the whole time.

I'm trying to think, and I can't recall another ride in all of Disney where the people you're sharing the experience with have a direct impact on what your experience actually is. Can anybody think of one?

Not a "ride", but The Void missions at disney springs are done in groups of 4, and your outcome, how fast you proceed through the rooms, etc depends on how everyone does, even if you're paired w strangers. DH and i have had fun w the people we've been paired with, but i can see it getting frustrating if you're ultra-competitive and your companions aren't so skilled.

As far as MFSR, I'd rather be the engineer than the pilot. I don't drive on vacation! 😅 watching the action and hitting the occasional button is more my speed. So, I'd be happy to trade w anyone if i got the pilot card. Maybe when things calm down (in a dozen or so years 😉 ) they will start adking guests if they have role preferences.

I'm trying to think, and I can't recall another ride in all of Disney where the people you're sharing the experience with have a direct impact on what your experience actually is. Can anybody think of one?

Not top tier and not there anymore but Pirates at DisneyQuest. The only way to shoot and gather the gold was to see the treasure spots ON the land. DS1 and I were once loaded with a Dad and about a 10-12 year old that insisted on driving the boat. NOT ONCE did we see any land. I think there were three different islands. We all just stood there staring at water the entire time. I asked him a couple times if he wanted me to drive so he could shoot the gold and he yelled back NO. So we basically waited our 20+ minutes to stand there and do nothing. Very frustrating, especially since Dad did nothing to step in and manage the situation. My DS (who is disabled and loved the ride) didn't understand why there was nothing to shoot. Was the only time we ever lost.

Having had that experience, and knowing this is another ride that can be impacted by the others .... even less interested than I was before. What if you waited to ride Flight of Passage and your assigned seat was a jump seat in the back of the room? You still see it all, you are still in the room .... but you are not "driving". Sounds great on paper but MANY will want to pilot, if nothing else for the view and/or because of whose seats they are. I think they'll have issues and complaints.

Um... thank you? Cuz that comment which called me out made me a little sad lol!

Well, it may be a few years before I get around to riding it, but engineer sounds like my cup of tea so if I get pilot I would switch. I will be so engrossed by everything going on that I wouldn’t be good at flying or shooting. I might have the presence of mind to push a button now and then.

The only issue I'd have is if the wait times are extremely long and I get stuck in the back and can't see anything at all.

If the ride wait times are manageable, like is happening with the reservations in DL right now, then not a big deal. I wouldn't mind waiting half an hour then getting back in line.

However...if the wait time is about 2 hours then I'd be pretty ticked. Especially since it sounds like the back seats can't even see all that well.

The only issue I'd have is if the wait times are extremely long and I get stuck in the back and can't see anything at all.

If the ride wait times are manageable, like is happening with the reservations in DL right now, then not a big deal. I wouldn't mind waiting half an hour then getting back in line.

However...if the wait time is about 2 hours then I'd be pretty ticked. Especially since it sounds like the back seats can't even see all that well.

I think it depends how tall you are. Craig from the DIS said he felt he got the best view from the Engineer (back) seats but he is pretty tall

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter