Smugglers Run - how roles are assigned?

I'm really sad that we are even having a discussion about the possibilty of grown adults fighting over seating position in a theme park ride. I know there are some die hard fans out there, but in the end, it is just a ride. It is pretend and I don't understand why we can't have fun with it for what it is and behave like mature people.
I don't think people will fight over it but I can appreciate even as a tenuous fan that if I queued 3 or 4 times for this and by chance only ever got 1 certain role it maybe frustrating. I agree though that it certainly isn't anything to throw your toys out of the pram for. I'm sure there will be scuffles though and don't envy the CM their jobs. I'm sure they will do a great job especially given the heightened feelings!

I attended opening day at DL yesterday. We were a group of 4 paired with a couple who didn't speak English. Our group of 4 were the pilots and gunners, the couple were the engineers. The end "result" of the ride provided scores/commentary for each role, so we knew the pilots did well, the gunners did well, but the engineers did not. The results did not carry over for us, at least, outside the attraction. Although the engineers were quite confused/didn't do their job (understandly...a LOT is happening at once even for a fluent English speaker!), we still had a really fun time and didn't feel it detracted from the experience.

Glad you had fun! But I can see how a non-English speaker would be completely confused and I'm not sure there's any way to help them out unless they have a cast member in the cockpit during the ride explaining things as the ride goes along. But they can't really do that since the cockpit is tilting and stuff.

The fact that there's a taped narration with Hondo yelling instructions probably didn't help.

Glad you had fun! But I can see how a non-English speaker would be completely confused and I'm not sure there's any way to help them out unless they have a cast member in the cockpit during the ride explaining things as the ride goes along. But they can't really do that since the cockpit is tilting and stuff.

The fact that there's a taped narration with Hondo yelling instructions probably didn't help.

I wondered about that too. What if your group of six includes people who don't speak or understand English at all? Is any accommodation made for them? People come from all over the world to go to Disneyland and WDW so I'm sure Disney has an idea of how to address that issue but not sure how they'd do it.

I wondered about that too. What if your group of six includes people who don't speak or understand English at all? Is any accommodation made for them? People come from all over the world to go to Disneyland and WDW so I'm sure Disney has an idea of how to address that issue but not sure how they'd do it.

There’s no Spanish/French/Portuguese/Mandarin narrations of Star Tours or any other simulator rides either, right? If MFSR is as I’m reading it and at the end of the day the same length regardless of how the interactive bits play out (like Buzz or Midway Mania) then I don’t think it’ll be a big deal.

I say this as a non Star Wars fan (though someone who enjoys fandom of other things)....

To many this is NOT just a ride. It is the closest they will ever get in their lifetimes to living a dream. It's decades and generations of memories with families (many of which are no longer here), feeling excitement, being anxious, getting to know and follow the lives of characters - all only previously accessible in 2D on a screen - that are now real. REAL. As real as it can ever possibly get. While we all know its "pretend", it is immersing enough that for a few minutes one can fully escape the world they live in and let go just enough to be able to experience things they have only dreamed about before. Unless you have truly been a fan of something like this, you can't really understand.

For me, it was seeing the World of Warcraft game come to life as a movie a few years back. It was the most incredible thing to see it like that - on screen. If they were to ever build a land from a zone in Azeroth you can bet I would savor every last drop of it for as long as I could and I would absolutely bring down the hammer if someone tried to take the drivers seat in my chopper.

I absolutely get it. My DH is a huge Star Wars fan since the 70’s. While I like SW, I’m more of a Trekkie (Star Trek fan). Every time we go to HS, he lines up to watch the March of the Storm Troopers & is extremely excited about the new land. I’m more like, meh. But if it were Star Trek, I’d be losing my ever loving mind & would be severely disappointed to wait for hrs for a ride/experience that ended up being messed up by people who could not or would not operate their parts correctly. I would never make a scene, but I’d be upset. Because when you’ve been a fan of something your whole life, dreamed of being a part of it, & by a Disney miracle you can, you don’t want to it ruined by others. And yes others will say it’s just a ride, but it’s not to those who have dreamed of flying, piloting, etc the Falcon.
Also, we’re gamers too & I agree the WOW movie was awesome. I was hoping they’d make a sequel, but sadly haven’t heard of one coming out yet.

There was a livestream from GE last night in which they went on SR, and the person running the camera had no idea it was an interactive ride. He still had fun but spent a lot of time saying that he had no idea he was going to have to actually pilot the ship. He was the left/right pilot and ended up hitting a lot of things.

I think Disney needs to do a lot more in making sure people know when they get in line for the ride that it's actually more of a video game than a passive ride like Flight of Passage.

I absolutely get it. My DH is a huge Star Wars fan since the 70’s. While I like SW, I’m more of a Trekkie (Star Trek fan). Every time we go to HS, he lines up to watch the March of the Storm Troopers & is extremely excited about the new land. I’m more like, meh. But if it were Star Trek, I’d be losing my ever loving mind & would be severely disappointed to wait for hrs for a ride/experience that ended up being messed up by people who could not or would not operate their parts correctly. I would never make a scene, but I’d be upset. Because when you’ve been a fan of something your whole life, dreamed of being a part of it, & by a Disney miracle you can, you don’t want to it ruined by others. And yes others will say it’s just a ride, but it’s not to those who have dreamed of flying, piloting, etc the Falcon.
Also, we’re gamers too & I agree the WOW movie was awesome. I was hoping they’d make a sequel, but sadly haven’t heard of one coming out yet.

I hope you can hide your feelings while you are on the ride and not make the other person feel bad. I highly doubt anyone is out to mess up a ride by purposely not operating it correctly or trying to ruin others good times. My boyfriend is also a huge Star Wars fan since the 70's and he's also a gamer.

What do we have a 1/6 chance of getting pilot (2/6?)? I think people who are extremely set on getting the pilot position should try to prepare for the fact you might not get it.

I'll just hope we are on the ride with like minded people who just want to have a good time. If we crash a bunch, even better! Perhaps the CMs will make a fun joke out of it when we get off.

Poor Disney, they can't do anything right.
:rotfl:

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the pilots crashing into everything causes more motion sickness for everyone else, compared to those who fly well. If this is true I won't be happy.

I haven't read that, but I suppose it makes sense if the ride moves more when you crash.

Take Bonine, saved me on our cruise and didn't make me sleepy. :)

I wonder if someone who has ridden multiple times could report back whether the experience changes each time? My impression is that they have designed it to essentially be the same ride no matter what your team does. So, maybe you hit a bunch of stuff but it doesn't cut your ride short or give you a different outcome. Your score much be lower, like space ranger spin but it shouldn't be life-ruining.

I wonder if someone who has ridden multiple times could report back whether the experience changes each time? My impression is that they have designed it to essentially be the same ride no matter what your team does. So, maybe you hit a bunch of stuff but it doesn't cut your ride short or give you a different outcome. Your score much be lower, like space ranger spin but it shouldn't be life-ruining.

Everything I have read said the rides are the same length but your points are lower? Not sure about different outcomes, but someone said a CM told them they did a bad job. :p

Of course the ride isn’t just gonna let people crash instantly and the ride ends. Why would they do that?
If someone doesn’t hit the jump to light speed, it’s gonna eventually kick in and do it for you to progress the ride.

Didn't I read somewhere there was an autopilot switch if you didn't want to actively participate? Or did I hallucinate that...
It’s more likely the action kicks in if no action is taken, like mission space.

Of course the ride isn’t just gonna let people crash instantly and the ride ends. Why would they do that?
If someone doesn’t hit the jump to light speed, it’s gonna eventually kick in and do it for you to progress the ride.

Then I guess I don't see why people are getting worried abojt having a "good" ride crew?

From what I've been hearing so far, during this reservation period at Disneyland, people have been riding multiple times within their 4 hour window, so even if they don't get the pilot spot on one ride, they may get it another time. I think once both rides are open and this one falls back into the "lesser" ride position, then it will also be easier to ride it more than once as well.
But as mentioned earlier, if you're big into this and you are desperate for the most real experience possible, then I definitely think finding like minded guests to build a crew with is a fantastic idea. :)
As for myself, I want the spot that asks the least of me, LOL! So I'll be absolutely handing my pilot spot off to someone else if I get it. But I'm handing it off to someone who has accepted their current position with kindness and a sense of humor. If you're making a fuss about being the engineer, then I'm not giving you my spot. ;)

At first, I was afraid to do this for many reasons listed here, but the videos are making me want to try it. It would be great if there was a way for parties of fewer than 6 to "recruit" a crew. I might be fairly popular, too, since I don't want to be a pilot!

LOL, if I make the trip I'm hoping for next February, I might have to post here to see if anyone going at the same time needs a well-meaning rookie flight engineer. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter