Smuggler's Snooze

What I didn't like about it was that as a gunner or engineer, I felt like I was constantly looking at the side to see the buttons light up (I didn't experience pilot but I'm assuming they are facing forward). I felt that by doing that, I was missing all the cool scenery in front of us. So when I rode it the 2nd time, I just looked forward, and didn't pay attention to the lights. My fingers were on the firing button and I was repeatedly pushing it without looking. I'd glance over every now & then to see a different button lit up. But I want to SEE the things. Not just look at flashing buttons.

Pam
That is exactly my complaint about the ride. I know that it wouldn't be "authentic" but it would be so much better if they had the buttons on the back of the seat in front of you. At least that way, you could largely participate without missing the entire experience. The last time that I was a gunner, the CM said that you could put it in automatic mode (which I did), but that didn't keep the rest of the riders from scolding me for not pushing the buttons, lol!

There's two ways to do an "auto" mode for Gunner. You can choose when you log in, but that's automatic targeting, not automatic shooting. So you'd still need to press buttons. Otherwise, the CM needs to basically not check you in at all, then the ride will act as if there is no gunner.

There's two ways to do an "auto" mode for Gunner. You can choose when you log in, but that's automatic targeting, not automatic shooting. So you'd still need to press buttons. Otherwise, the CM needs to basically not check you in at all, then the ride will act as if there is no gunner.
I actually talked to my DD about this, I've read comments of people saying the cm can make pilot or engineer do it's thing automatically, this is actually not true
The only way for the system to go into automatic is if you don't touch any of the controls.
The ride starts after a couple of seconds the system senses no one is piloting, for example, end then it kicks into auto. If you touch the controls at any point the system will go off autopilot.
I personally don't see the fun in that, as its just like riding any other wdw attraction. The beauty of MFSR is that you control the ride. Ive mentioned this before and i use my peripheral vision to see the buttons lighting up without having to completely turn away from the main screen

Expectations are funny. I mean, I was once at an airshow in Colorado and they had a lifesize model of an X-Wing fighter. I must have spent an hour just slowly walking around it gawking. Granted, I'm a huge Star Wars geek.

The mere fact that there's a lifesize Millenium Falcon is honestly enough for me. I will have chills the moment I see it, and possibly tears. The fact I get to go inside? Insane. Then, they added a way to simulate a ride on it?!?! That you get to participate in?!?! I mean, seriously, I could care less if it was a fan blowing fake snow at the front window to simulate light speed the whole time. I just can't even wait!!!!

The fan blowing fake snow might be more fun, just saying. I did say the scenery is great, the ride is just meh......

I actually talked to my DD about this, I've read comments of people saying the cm can make pilot or engineer do it's thing automatically, this is actually not true
The only way for the system to go into automatic is if you don't touch any of the controls.
The ride starts after a couple of seconds the system senses no one is piloting, for example, end then it kicks into auto. If you touch the controls at any point the system will go off autopilot.
I personally don't see the fun in that, as its just like riding any other wdw attraction. The beauty of MFSR is that you control the ride. Ive mentioned this before and i use my peripheral vision to see the buttons lighting up without having to completely turn away from the main screen
Interesting, so I was a little wrong then. Good to know. In any case, I agree that I find a lot of people's complaints about having to keep focused on the buttons a little odd. It is easy to glance over for a second or use your periphery! It's like driving... how long to you stare at your speedometer when you adjust your speed?

But it's just not clear to me what the object is. I asked the cm while boarding, and he just said,
"Push anything that lights up." That's not very helpful in getting into the game. How can you expect someone to come in cold without any training and have any inkling of what's supposed to be happening, and how their actions impact it? I can push all the buttons that light up, but I still don't know what they do!

Interesting, so I was a little wrong then. Good to know. In any case, I agree that I find a lot of people's complaints about having to keep focused on the buttons a little odd. It is easy to glance over for a second or use your periphery! It's like driving... how long to you stare at your speedometer when you adjust your speed?
But they put the speedometer behind the steering wheel so you can see it without having to turn your head...NOT putting it on my door to my left, making me turn my head. Heck, they even have buttons right on the steering wheel to adjust volume, etc.

Checking your mirrors, then. You can use your periphery vision for it, and if you do need to turn your head, it shouldn't take any longer than looking over your shoulder to check your blind spot does.

But it's just not clear to me what the object is. I asked the cm while boarding, and he just said,
"Push anything that lights up." That's not very helpful in getting into the game. How can you expect someone to come in cold without any training and have any inkling of what's supposed to be happening, and how their actions impact it? I can push all the buttons that light up, but I still don't know what they do!
I think, in a general sense, you get your instruction during the pre show, on the cards with the assignments (it's worded out simply there people just don't take the time to read) and in the video right before you board and during the ride
The cm main focus is to launch a pod every 45 seconds so they do have very little time to explain what to do. I think that having monitors explain the jobs throughout the queue would be helpful
But you're inside the cockpit of a ship and the story unfolds before you. All you have to do is listen to Hondo and push the button when it flashes. At the moment many are distracted by a lot of things, and that's understandable, once you sit down and buckle up just listen to the story unfold.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on things, I have always said Disney took a big risk providing an attraction so different than your normal "sit down and let the story happen" instead of sit down and be part of the story

Last edited:
I think, in a general sense, you get your instruction during the pre show, on the cards with the assignments (it's worded out simply there people just don't take the time to read) and in the video right before you board and during the ride
The cm main focus is to launch a pod every 45 seconds so they do have very little time to explain what to do. I think that having monitors explain the jobs throughout the queue would be helpful
But you're inside the cockpit of a ship and the story unfolds before you. All you have to do is listen to Hondo and push the button when it flashes. At the moment many are distracted by a lot of things, and that's understandable, once you sit down and buckle up just listen to the story unfold.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on things, I have always said Disney took a big risk providing an attraction so different than your normal "sit down and let the story happen" instead of sit down and be part of the story
You're right, I never noticed that there are instruction on the position card. As for Hondo, I found it hard to hear him in the ship, and hard to understand him when I could; perhaps the voiceover artist overdid the accent. But the buttons seemed to flash continuously; maybe I had bad pilots the 2 times I rode (I was engineer and gunner.)

You're right, I never noticed that there are instruction on the position card. As for Hondo, I found it hard to hear him in the ship, and hard to understand him when I could; perhaps the voiceover artist overdid the accent. But the buttons seemed to flash continuously; maybe I had bad pilots the 2 times I rode (I was engineer and gunner.)
gunner the button is basically flashing non stop. Engineers get more work when the pilots are bad :) I like engineer cause it's the only position I have gotten 100%. Gunner might be the easiest as you can hit the auto aim button and just press the flashing button without having to see exactly when you have to shoot
I still think they need monitors through out the queue explaining the positions, especially for people who don't read or understand English

I went opening day and rode smugglers 2 times. The first time my wife and I were pilots. I felt the ride was really fun and it "seemed like" we didnt really have much control over the vehicle. We didnt hit alot of stuff and everything seemed to really smooth, it was a fun ride and I enjoyed it. Later that day I rode it single rider as an engineer. obviously less to do so I was able to pay attention to the ride and the people around me. The pilots on this one were horrible, they hit everything they possibly could, but honestly I thought it just showed a different side of the ride and I appreciated that and liked to see the reactions of the others riding. I just dont feel like the pilots ruined my experience, It just changed my experience. I can understand the comparison to star tours, its a simulator with a screen in front of you. But I think most are missing something or they just see it as another standard simulator.

What I appreciated most about the ride is the tech. I have been playing video games for over 35 years. I grew up with consoles but have moved to PC gaming in the past few years. I really enjoyed knowing everything that was being seen was being rendered real time, and the actions that you were making was affecting the simulation movement of the vehicle. That to me is the impressive part of this ride. Its not just a video going on in front of you. While star tours is great becuase there are difference scenes that can be picked, to give you the illusion that its different every time. Eventually if you ride it enough you get the same scenes you have already seen and done. Just my opinion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!