Snack ideas for camp

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
My daughter starts day camp next week for her first time.

What kinds of snacks do you pack for your kids at camp? Non refrigerated.

Thanks!

My daughter starts day camp next week for her first time.

What kinds of snacks do you pack for your kids at camp? Non refrigerated.

Thanks!
Rice Krispie treats.
Baked potato chips
granola bars
raisins
nuts
Bananas/apples/oranges
popcorn
pretzels

Rice Krispie treats.
Baked potato chips
granola bars
raisins
nuts
Bananas/apples/oranges
popcorn
pretzels

Thank you-great list! I'm trying to avoid just buying her all sugary junk that could lead to fatigue & this is a good balance. :)

Lots of good ideas...

Also, baby carrots and that non-refrigerated hummus, or pita chips
trail mix
cheese/pb and cracker packs
grapes
nuts
mini muffins

Cheese strings
Goldfish
Cucumber slices
Pineapple
Strawberries
Gogo squeez (applesauce)
English muffin pizza halves

Also, baby carrots and that non-refrigerated hummus, or pita

Even refrigerated hummus will last several hours out of the refrigerator. There is basically nothing in it that will spoil right away. Hummus is basically chick peas, tahini (sesame paste) olive oil & lemon juice.

Cheese strings

Also, just cubed, hard cheeses like Swiss cheese can also last outside of the fridge for a few hours.

Freeze dried fruits are always fun. We like the Brothers brand.

Pretzels
apples, oranges
carrot and celery slices
graham crackers
edamame
banana bread
veggie chips
cheese puffs
roasted salted chickpeas
Jif cups (if pb is allowed) (Is sunflower seed butter nut free? wiser minds than mine might know)
frozen grapes/pineapple
granola
chex mix
fruit leather
watermelon/melons

Avoid dairy (in the heat, might upset tummies, even if kept cold)

I always like to pack a favorite candy bar, but since it's chocolate, and will melt, I would recommend a different favorite candy, unless your camper can pack it next to a cold bottle of water or soda.

Fresh fruit has nutrition, especially an orange that will also offer some hydration.

oops. Just saw that you're trying to avoid sugary snacks. Guess that lets out your camper's favorite cookies/brownies.

In the summer, I like to pack frozen items that will be partially or fully thawed but still cold by the time they are eaten: watermelon slices, grapes, packaged fruit cups (Dole or another brand) and Go-gurt tubes are all good.

You can cut watermelon into small triangle wedges and insert popsicle sticks before freezing. Kids love them; they look like this (except I cut off the rind first which makes it easier to put the sticks in).

04771FC8-CA8E-43A6-9A54-5A0B57C900E6.jpeg

As a long-time scout leader, I'll throw out these ideas:
- At age six, snack time is a social thing, and snacks are a status item. Make her snacks good.
- My girls' super-favorites were things to dip. Makes snacks into an activity.
- Our go-to was usually grapes (grapes in two colors when I was really on my game) mixed in with cheese cubes. Totally healthy, no refrigeration, and co-exists in a ziplock together.
- No to chocolate ... or iced cupcakes ... or other things that melt /require extensive hand washing /mess up clothes.
- Include a little note saying you're proud of her and can't wait to hear her camp stories.
- Label everything, especially if you're sending a plain old water bottle that looks like everyone else's.
- Be sure she can open her stuff totally without help; day care leaders have enough to do without pulling back half a dozen fruit cup lids.
Rice Krispie treats.
We are soooo a Rice Krispie family. We prefer our Krispies made with crunchy peanut butter, and we are strongly against chocolate chips being included in Krispies.
Also, just cubed, hard cheeses like Swiss cheese can also last outside of the fridge for a few hours.
Most cheeses -- cheddar, for example -- doesn't actually NEED refrigeration; it just lasts longer if it's kept in the refrigerator.
I make cheese, and it sits out on the countertop for 5+ days ... it's part of the recipe. Even though I love it, I'm a little weirded out by it.

Last edited:
Most cheeses -- cheddar, for example -- doesn't actually NEED refrigeration; it just lasts longer if it's kept in the refrigerator.
I make cheese, and it sits out on the countertop for 5+ days ... it's part of the recipe. Even though I love it, I'm a little weirded out by it.

Parmesan is the same way. Most times, people can find the freshly grated cheese in the deli department, not in the refrigerated cases. But, usually off to the side, on a display.

I used to send my son with a little baby-sized tupperware of salsa and a baggie of tostidos. LOL. To this day - he eats chips and salsa like a mad man.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!