Snack Nutrition (T1 Diabetes)

Lewis Harrison-Barker

Earning My Ears
Hi Guys

I'm a first time poster but a long-time lurker of the boards.

My toddler is T1 diabetic, and we are making a trip in the near future alongside some friends from the T1 community. For many of them this is their first trip to WDW and they are nervous about taking their newly diagnosed kids.

I am trying to put together a relatively comprehensive pack for them to use as reference so that they know what to expect and can hopefully actually enjoy their trip.

To help with this I am desperately trying to find out the nutritional info for Mickey Bars, Mickey Ice Cream Sandwiches and any Goofy Candy Co. gummy snack.

Is anyone making a trip soon and would be able to take a photo of the nutrition table? I have spent weeks looking online and have even contacted Nestle offices around the world, who were unhelpful.

I'd really appreciate this!!!!

thanks

Lewis

If my memory serves e right the Mickey bars are about 25 carbs but I would just look at it when you get it.

another thing to remember is that they do not give carb counts for food ( and I find if you tell them you are diabetic then they think you can not have sugar and will give you none sugar added things. I will just WAG or SWAG my carb count when there. and remember that the walking you do all day sometimes lower BG for up to 24 hours.

Thank you so much guys, this is a huge help. Whilst I'm pretty laissez-faire about all things T1, some of the parents i know are not and I'm hoping the information I can gather for them will help put their minds at rest.

Thank you!

Lewis

Great information!

Also, be sure to remind them that they can bring in their own snacks if they feel more comfortable doing that.

I know this is more then you asked about but, here are a few things about traveling with Diabetes

I never trust the hotel fridge, insulin can be at room tep. for about 30 days and hotel, fridge are not that accurate some have frozen my insulin and frozen insulin does not work. if you are worried about your insulin you can buy a Frio and use this or if you feel you need to use the hotel fridge I wrap my insulin in a washcloth so that it can not freeze

bring extra of anything you think you need ( test strips, insulin, syringes, if on a pump, extra pump supplies, treatment for lows,

few things about Disney.

the walking can cause some pretty bad low, you might want to talk to your endo and see if you should lower your dose of insulin,

make sure you test a lot, some places sell very cheap meter and strip if your insurance does not cover enough, I know some that will test once every 60-90 minutes.

also, have you heard of Friend for life if not google it the most amazing conference in Orlando around the 4 of July weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter