Snorkeling on Castaway Cay Questions

RobinVanellope

Mouseketeer
Howdy~

We would like to snorkel on CC. I know you are able to rent the equipment for the entire day, however:

- when snorkeling where the Mickey statue is, is there a specific time you are assigned?
- if so, is there a time limit?
- are you able to snorkel in other areas, like the adult beach?

Any other info I may need to know would be appreciated.
Thanks and cheers!

There is no time limit on when you can snorkel - areas are open to everyone all day (as long as it is safe to be in the water). You can also snorkel off the adult beach. We've seen some interesting fish there.

Howdy~

We would like to snorkel on CC. I know you are able to rent the equipment for the entire day, however:

- when snorkeling where the Mickey statue is, is there a specific time you are assigned?
- if so, is there a time limit?
- are you able to snorkel in other areas, like the adult beach?

Any other info I may need to know would be appreciated.
Thanks and cheers!

Regarding snorkeling in the family beaches; Snorkeling is only permitted in the roped-off snorkeling area. You are not allowed to just "snorkel" wherever you'd like on the family beaches, even if you bring your own gear. If you are wearing a mask and snorkel you must be in the roped-off area. There is a life guard and you must wear the complimentary yellow vest, which can be inflated. This info is for the family areas; i don't know anything about snorkeling in the adult section. You can bring your own gear and use it, but I would recommend renting fins if you do not bring them (I would not pack fins). There have been reports that you are able to rent only fins if you bring your own gear, but others have said that is not possible. I will report back next month if they let us rent fins only. :fish::fish::fish:

theres 2 snorkel trais in cc. one is a beginnere the other is adavanced. you can do either in any order youd like.there are floating balls that mark the interesting items on the bottom. theres miçkey and minnie statues and even a 20k sub from the ride.

I am not a great or frequent swimmer. I gladly take the free life jackets and inflate them up halfway. The sunken Mickey, Minnie, etc. are a long way off shore in fairly deep water...certainly over your head, maybe 15-20 feet. The jacket keeps you from diving, if you want to get close. Do take an underwater camera. I do and enlarge the photos since I am just below the surface. It is worth the trouble. We take our own gear with no fins...your call!!

You can snorkel anywhere at any time for however long and as many times as you like.

However, there are areas that are reserved for snorkelling only, this is where you'll find the statues and lifeguards dedicated to that area.

If you go into the snorkelling area you have to wear a yellow jacket (inflated or not, Olympic swimmer or not, everyone needs to wear one), they're free and if you rent gear they'll give you them then, or you can grab one from the lifeguard stand.

Snorkeling is fun at CC. You need to stay within the marked areas on the family beach. And you need to swim out to see anything-wear the fins! Vest, as others mentioned, is mandatory. You can be out there as long as you like. Save some strength for the swim back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 7.56.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 7.56.22 AM.png
    480.2 KB · Views: 17
You can snorkel anywhere at any time for however long and as many times as you like.

This.was most definitely not our experience! Whenever a life guard saw us with a snorkel and mask, we were told to get over to the snorkeling area. They said snorkeling was only permitted in the roped off areas.

Regarding snorkeling in the family beaches; Snorkeling is only permitted in the roped-off snorkeling area. You are not allowed to just "snorkel" wherever you'd like on the family beaches, even if you bring your own gear. If you are wearing a mask and snorkel you must be in the roped-off area. There is a life guard and you must wear the complimentary yellow vest, which can be inflated. This info is for the family areas; i don't know anything about snorkeling in the adult section. You can bring your own gear and use it, but I would recommend renting fins if you do not bring them (I would not pack fins). There have been reports that you are able to rent only fins if you bring your own gear, but others have said that is not possible. I will report back next month if they let us rent fins only. :fish::fish::fish:
Oh yes, please keep me posted on fins. Thanks

theres 2 snorkel trais in cc. one is a beginnere the other is adavanced. you can do either in any order youd like.there are floating balls that mark the interesting items on the bottom. theres miçkey and minnie statues and even a 20k sub from the ride.
Wow. Thanks

I am not a great or frequent swimmer. I gladly take the free life jackets and inflate them up halfway. The sunken Mickey, Minnie, etc. are a long way off shore in fairly deep water...certainly over your head, maybe 15-20 feet. The jacket keeps you from diving, if you want to get close. Do take an underwater camera. I do and enlarge the photos since I am just below the surface. It is worth the trouble. We take our own gear with no fins...your call!!
Good info. Thx

The lifejacket is great for catching your breath after a rather long, to me, swim to get amid the sunken mice, etc. Also, there are lifeguard stations going a ways out into the snorkeling area, but not to the rock reef. It might be a challenge for small kids to make the effort.

The lifejacket is great for catching your breath after a rather long, to me, swim to get amid the sunken mice, etc. Also, there are lifeguard stations going a ways out into the snorkeling area, but not to the rock reef. It might be a challenge for small kids to make the effort.
Good to know. Thanks

However, there are areas that are reserved for snorkelling only, this is where you'll find the statues and lifeguards dedicated to that area.

If you go into the snorkelling area you have to wear a yellow jacket (inflated or not, Olympic swimmer or not, everyone needs to wear one), they're free and if you rent gear they'll give you them then, or you can grab one from the lifeguard stand.

This.was most definitely not our experience! Whenever a life guard saw us with a snorkel and mask, we were told to get over to the snorkeling area. They said snorkeling was only permitted in the roped off areas.

I wonder if perhaps with some of the more recent drowning/near drowning experiences that have been reported if they have changed the rules since you were a crew member @bbel ? Just a thought there as things can change sometimes. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter