Snorkeling with a Fear of Sharks

DisneyMimiUSMC

Mouseketeer
Ok, so I want to snorkel but I'm very afraid of sharks. I made the big mistake of reading Hawaii's shark incident report which did not help anything. Has anyone had this same fear and conquered it? We go to Aulani in 2024 and I'd really like to get a handle on this irrational fear.

I totally understand your fear and I love to snorkel.

One thing I do to put my self at ease is make sure that I am in a shallow enough space that a large shark would not be able to get around in. Hanauma Bay has very shallow snorkelling and is really worth the visit. I have been able to walk out in the sand to where the reef begins, bend into the water with my mask on while standing up to my hips and see many fish.

Aulani does have its own self contained snorkelling tank if you really want to try without any risk

Last edited:
I totally understand your fear and I love to snorkel.

One thing I do to put my self at ease is make sure that I am in a shallow enough space that a large shark would not be able to get around in. Hanauma Bay has very shallow snorkelling and is really worth the visit. I have been able to walk out in the sand to where the reef begins, bend into the water with my mask on while standing up to my hips and see many fish.

Aulani does have its own self contained snorkelling tank if you really want to try without any risk
Hanauma Bay is exactly where I want to go. So if you felt safe there, that makes me feel better!

I always feel very safe there.
The water is usually very clear too so you can easily see all around you.
Plus, if your fear overcomes you the beach is also very beautiful! You could just hang out there.

I always feel very safe there.
The water is usually very clear too so you can easily see all around you.
Plus, if your fear overcomes you the beach is also very beautiful! You could just hang out there.
Thank you so much. You've been super helpful!

I love Hanauma Bay and will be visiting there next month. I've always felt safe there and have seen some cool marine life. Last time I was there I saw an octopus and a sea cucumber. My SO is not a strong swimmer so Hanauma Bay is perfect for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter