So, explain these "security checks" to me, please?

As far as I'm concerned, only if I request a cast member come to my room am I required to let them in. If someone wants in unexpectedly, and everyone in the room is decent for company, then the bar can be removed from the door and that person can unlock the door for themselves. I have seen cast costume pieces and name badges for sale, so just having those does not mean that an individual is a cast member allowed to enter my room whether I want that person there or not. Being able to use a key or MagicBand makes it much more likely that Disney wants that person in my room. And if someone attempts to force their way in when I am not dressed properly? I am not afraid to be very loud at that time, go to the front desk in person and complain loudly, and also complain on the internet. Disney may have the right to visit the room, but that should not require me to made uncomfortable when a short delay would solve my objection. They can even wait just outside the door until I'm ready if they want.
2 things some of the Disney resorts not WDW have removed the latch and second check internet for videos on how easy the latch can be flipped from locked to unlocked from outside. the latches don't make me secure anymore esp where someone not CM could reach your door

2 things some of the Disney resorts not WDW have removed the latch and second check internet for videos on how easy the latch can be flipped from locked to unlocked from outside. the latches don't make me secure anymore esp where someone not CM could reach your door

That's why she said she'd ask the CM to open the door with their own key card.

I know the latch could be opened from the outside, but that also requires a key or MagicBand to get the door back open after moving the latch. So the person still needs a key or MagicBand to unlock the door, and I hope those keys are not as easy to buy as a cast name badge. If I was doing nothing wrong other than requiring some time to be decent before allowing someone in the room, I hope they wouldn't pop the latch open immediately. That's a point in time to complain loudly and everywhere.
Disney provides beds, so they think people might want to sleep in the room. Disney provides toilets and showers in the room, so they must think people will want to use those fixtures while in the room. Disney provides opaque walls, and curtains or blinds on the windows, so why do they suddenly seem to think people won't want privacy in the room?

When we were @ WDW this past December the security room checks had already started at the Poly.
It was odd at first but I understand that it's for the greater good and accept it as where and how we live now.
Don't recall what the personnel wore but as H/K was in the hallways and not alarmed to see them neither were we.

Good to know about DCL and the value. We've never been- maybe it's time!
I just read that DCL is replacing their Do Not Disturb signs with Room Occupied signs, and they will be checking daily also. I guess there’s no way left to get our Disney fix without it. :guilty: I was really hoping with the security used whenever you board the ship that they would escape the circus, but I guess not.

I just read that DCL is replacing their Do Not Disturb signs with Room Occupied signs, and they will be checking daily also. I guess there’s no way left to get our Disney fix without it. :guilty: I was really hoping with the security used whenever you board the ship that they would escape the circus, but I guess not.

I saw that too. I don't get it. They screen every piece of luggage that is taken onboard. There is about zero chance of a weapon getting onboard. Do they think human trafficking is happening on the ships?!

I saw that too. I don't get it. They screen every piece of luggage that is taken onboard. There is about zero chance of a weapon getting onboard. Do they think human trafficking is happening on the ships?!
That's crazy. I hope someone can explain to me the need for room checks on board if all the bags have been scanned.

I just read that DCL is replacing their Do Not Disturb signs with Room Occupied signs, and they will be checking daily also.

I think people are jumping to that conclusion. I’ve only seen that the door tags are changing to match those st WDW, but nothing specific that DCL is specifically instituting room-checks. The vast majority of DCL guests receive housekeeping a couple times each day anyway.

This strikes me as a case of poorly-executed CYA theatre. This stuff REALLY drives me nuts.

It's one thing to be inconvenienced within reasonable limits for something truly effective. This all sounds like a joke.

Strikes me that it is just a matter of time before someone impersonates a CM and someone truly gets hurt. Then they'll rethink (or rather think at all about) this policy.

My kids are 10 and 13, and I was considering letting them stay in the room for VERY short stretches -- like me running to the resort store to grab something. INSANE that they've instituted a useless policy that rules this out now for many families.

I think this captures it really well, from what I've read:
The sad fact of the matter is that Disney is choosing to disturb and violate the privacy expectations of resort guests rather than find more effective ways to balance the need for security versus the experience of the guest.

Possible unintended consequence not likely to improve this situation: I'd bet mousekeeping tips go down if an increased fraction of guests are just unhappy with their in-room experience. Fair or not, I suspect it'll happen.

This strikes me as a case of poorly-executed CYA theatre. This stuff REALLY drives me nuts.

It's one thing to be inconvenienced within reasonable limits for something truly effective. This all sounds like a joke.

Strikes me that it is just a matter of time before someone impersonates a CM and someone truly gets hurt. Then they'll rethink (or rather think at all about) this policy.

My kids are 10 and 13, and I was considering letting them stay in the room for VERY short stretches -- like me running to the resort store to grab something. INSANE that they've instituted a useless policy that rules this out now for many families.

I think this captures it really well, from what I've read:

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading theses comments. Wouldn’t this create an opportunity for someone to impersonate a cm. Even though this is Disney, thefts and attacks have occurred at DW hotels. Its one thing to open the door and let a stranger in your room when you have requested service but to do that when an unexpected stranger is at the door seems unwise.

I also sometimes would leave my teen son in the locked room with latch while I ran down to QS or the lobby for something. If someone was to show up from security or housekeeping and be persistent in a aggressive manner he wouldn’t know what to do. In addition, how would he know if they were an actual Cm. My son has high functioning autism and if he were alone or even with me in the room and we experienced what some others have experienced it would cause great anxiety and lead to a panic attack.

I completely understand the need for some sort of security check and that DW is not the only hotel chain doing this but I hope they find a better way of dealing with this. Maybe only use security staff and train them how to do these checks in a unified manner that can help to avoid possible incidents. It seems to me that adding one more duty for housekeeping is not the answer to a security protocol.

I completely understand the need for some sort of security check and that DW is not the only hotel chain doing this but I hope they find a better way of dealing with this. Maybe only use security staff and train them how to do these checks in a unified manner that can help to avoid possible incidents. It seems to me that adding one more duty for housekeeping is not the answer to a security protocol.

If they add a security team to do it adds the possibility of 2 interruptions per day instead of 1. Now, it should only be housekeeping who may knock when you are in your room. Who would want a knock by housekeeping and a knock by security?

Currently at a Fairfield Inn in North Carolina. I have a Do Not Disturb sign:thumbsup2 and they have a sign on every floor that you can opt out of housekeeping and get Marriott points. Marriott is respecting the guests privacy!

We are a family of 4 adults. Both of my adult children have disabilities and I need to help them with their personal care. Therefore we need to go back to the hotel room about twice a day to do this. I and my sons would be absolutely mortified if somebody insisted that they had to inspect the room during one of these times. We want our hotel room to be private. Guess we will be staying someplace else unless I can be assured that nobody is going to walk in on us whenever they feel like it. What if I'm in the shower? Both my sons have been taught not to open the door to any strangers. If somebody uses a key and barges in, they will get scared. I also don't like to think of somebody other than housekeeping coming into the room when we are gone. Will things disappear?

We are a family of 4 adults. Both of my adult children have disabilities and I need to help them with their personal care. Therefore we need to go back to the hotel room about twice a day to do this. I and my sons would be absolutely mortified if somebody insisted that they had to inspect the room during one of these times. We want our hotel room to be private. Guess we will be staying someplace else unless I can be assured that nobody is going to walk in on us whenever they feel like it. What if I'm in the shower? Both my sons have been taught not to open the door to any strangers. If somebody uses a key and barges in, they will get scared. I also don't like to think of somebody other than housekeeping coming into the room when we are gone. Will things disappear?

Again, flip the latch. There have been no reports of Disney bypassing the door latch when it is engaged. As far as someone coming into the room while you are gone, housekeeping servicing your room counts as the check.

I also don't like to think of somebody other than housekeeping coming into the room when we are gone. Will things disappear?

Things are no more likely to disappear at the hands of security, than they are to be stolen by housekeeping. Never leave anything of value out and easily accessible. Always keep personal electronics, passports, cash and irreplaceable items locked in the room safe whenever you are out.

This should be standard practice at all hotels and resorts, regardless of how "nice" they are.

Things are no more likely to disappear at the hands of security, than they are to be stolen by housekeeping. Never leave anything of value out and easily accessible. Always keep personal electronics, passports, cash and irreplaceable items locked in the room safe whenever you are out.

This should be standard practice at all hotels and resorts, regardless of how "nice" they are.

People seem to forget that occasionally a new guest will be assigned an already occupied room by mistake. So even if housekeeping and other hotel staff weren't coming in, there is always the chance that another guest could. It happened to me at CR once (I was assigned a room, went to the room, and there was a family already in the room). I always assume someone will be in the room while I'm out, and secure items accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!