So How Do We Feel About the Changes to Be Our Guest?

Earl of sandwich, sunshine seasons, captain cooks, and Columbia harbor house are great QS. Il Mulino, yachtsman, and yak and yeti are great TS. I need to try Cookes of Dublin!

Cookes of Dub is a quick option if you want to sit and eat try Raglan Road for a wonderful experience.

At other prix fixe meals, do they let you swap desserts for appetizers, or vice versa? We're going to eat at BOG and then do the Fireworks dessert party, so wondering if we could do two appetizers rather than dessert, for at least one of us. But I don't know if that's a thing they let you do at other prix fixe meals. Any insight?

I'm fairly certain that the "fine print" on most of the prix fixe meals says "no substitutions allowed." However, we still don't know how this one is going to play out. At other prix fixe, you can also order a la carte, so not every one has to get the entire meal. It sounds like that won't be the case at BoG, and all they will offer is the prix fixe. So the biggest question now is whether everyone will have to order or can one meal be shared between two people.

At other prix fixe meals, do they let you swap desserts for appetizers, or vice versa? We're going to eat at BOG and then do the Fireworks dessert party, so wondering if we could do two appetizers rather than dessert, for at least one of us. But I don't know if that's a thing they let you do at other prix fixe meals. Any insight?

Typically, desserts can't be swapped for appetizers because appetizers are generally more expensive.

Little off subject but I agree. We no longer use the DDP because we found it cheeper to pay out of pocket.
This BoG discussion underlies one of the biggest the dining plan - in order for It to be a “value”, you are forced to change your behavior.
I'm fairly certain that the "fine print" on most of the prix fixe meals says "no substitutions allowed." However, we still don't know how this one is going to play out. At other prix fixe, you can also order a la carte, so not every one has to get the entire meal. It sounds like that won't be the case at BoG, and all they will offer is the prix fixe. So the biggest question now is whether everyone will have to order or can one meal be shared between two people.
Can’t wait for the “how may people can share one BOG prix fixe?” post in 6 months.

The prix fixe meals at WDW seem/tend to include three courses. Nothing to swap.

I am disappointed by the change. $55 is not bad for 3 courses if you eat that much. 12 year old dd and I both love the French onion soup, but that kind of fills us up, so we usually each get the soup and then split an entree and dessert. Not that our bill is ever cheap as DH and I usually enjoy a glass of wine or two, but now we will be paying for food that we probably won’t have room to finish.

Other locations with French onion soup, courtesy of the DIS http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm:
Chefs de France

• Entree/Main Course (Lunch / Dinner)
    Prix-fixe Menu - Appetizers (Choice of one): Soupe à Poignon Gratinée (French Onion Soup), Salade aux lardons et croutons, Bisque de Homard (Lobster Bisque) Entrées (Choice of one): Boeuf Bourguignon, linguine (Braised Beef), Poulet fermier à la Layonnaise, pomme purée, Filet de saumon mariné auvin blanc et citron, Gratin de macaroni Dessert (Choice of one): Dessert au choix - $0.00
Grand Floridian Cafe

• Soups/Salads (Brunch)
    Carmelized Onion Soup Gratinée - Traditional French Onion Soup - $9.00
    Soups/Salads (Dinner)
    Carmelized Onion Soup Gratinée - Traditional French Onion Soup - $9.00
Shula's Steak House

• Soups/Salads (Dinner)
    French Onion Soup - French Onion Soup - $11.00
The Turf Club Bar

• Soups/Salads (Snack)
    French Onion Soup - Classic French Onion Soup topped with Melted Cheese and a nest of Crispy-fried Onions - $7.49
The Turf Club Grill

• Soups/Salads (Dinner)
    French Onion Soup - Classic

This BoG discussion underlies one of the biggest the dining plan - in order for It to be a “value”, you are forced to change your behavior.

Can’t wait for the “how may people can share one BOG prix fixe?” post in 6 months.
You don't have to wait 6 months.

We already have those questions.

From reading this thread, it seems we have no one but ourselves to blame for this change. I can't believe, apparently, so many people have been making dinner reservations and then not ordering dinner but just like a cupcake and an app. Like, of course, Disney wasn't going to put up with that for long - do you know how much money has gone into this eatery for them? They are not going to have people circumvent the process of what Disney expects from a business model.

I know I have seen threads on here before where people ask stuff like "Is it ok if I make dining reservations at " insert signature restaurant - here" but only order apps or dessert? The thing is, if you have to ask that sort of question, I think you know that it is probably wrong and the kind of thing that restaurants don't like.

That's why they have bars and lounges at many restaurants. Dining tables are for dinners where you order a main course.

Call me naive but I think Disney also became fed up with what I bet were constant customer complaints from people who were unhappy about not being able to have dinner there.

Watching tables order next to nothing while guests who actually want to eat dinner are left unhappy is not good business practice.

And I'm wondering....since I have never done the dining plan....but if someone was on the dining plan and chooses to eat a dessert at a restaurant rather than use a dining credit, can they use a snack credit for the dessert/cupcake? I guess even if they paid OOP it still saves a dining credit. ??? I can see how the practice became popular, not that I think it's right.
When you purchase the DDP you get an allotment of credits depending on the plan you get. Most commonly is 1 TS, 1 QS, and 2 Snacks per person per day. You decide how and when you use them. I'm not sure if the TS restaurants offer Snack Credit options while dining, but you do not have to use your DDP to pay if you don't want to. You could just order a Cupcake and Pay out of Pocket. If they do offer Snack Credit options, then yes you could do that as well.

From reading this thread, it seems we have no one but ourselves to blame for this change. I can't believe, apparently, so many people have been making dinner reservations and then not ordering dinner but just like a cupcake and an app. Like, of course, Disney wasn't going to put up with that for long - do you know how much money has gone into this eatery for them? They are not going to have people circumvent the process of what Disney expects from a business model.

I know I have seen threads on here before where people ask stuff like "Is it ok if I make dining reservations at " insert signature restaurant - here" but only order apps or dessert? The thing is, if you have to ask that sort of question, I think you know that it is probably wrong and the kind of thing that restaurants don't like.

That's why they have bars and lounges at many restaurants. Dining tables are for dinners where you order a main course.
Agreed, I had no idea the practice was so popular. I will say though Disney could very easily have avoided it by making the Beast MnG available to everyone all day like the majority of the other characters throughout the parks. That really is the only reason for the tactic IMHO. If you just wanted to say you ate in the Grand Ballroom or West Wing, you could do that for Breakfast or Lunch and for a lot less. Have a Stand By line for guests that are not dining, and separate line for those that are. Call it the Fast Pass line or something, but the only way to get into it is by dinning in the restaurant. Seems easier than drastically changing the menu, prices, and requirements...

I'm not sure if the TS restaurants offer Snack Credit options while dining, but you do not have to use your DDP to pay if you don't want to. You could just order a Cupcake and Pay out of Pocket. If they do offer Snack Credit options, then yes you could do that as well.
You can't use a snack credit at a TS.

I
Little off subject but I agree. We no longer use the DDP because we found it cheeper to pay out of pocket.
I absolutely agree you can save money by paying out of pocket, but I have always maintained it is not cheaper. Of course it is subjective, but the Adult DDP cost $75.49 per day. So that's 1TS (entree, desert, and drink), 1QS (entree and drink), 2 Snacks, and Refillable Mug. Just using BoG for Dinner and Lunch, the average Entree for Dinner is $30 and the Dessert is $5. Lunch average is $15. You get a Drink with both, lets just say you go with Bottled Water which is $3 so a total of $6. Now throw in your 2 Snacks, again lets just call it $5 for average snack price. That puts you at $66 which is less than the cost of DDP at first. Now factor in the taxes you will pay on that $66 and also whatever value you put on the refillable mug that can be used at the resort(s). I always figure on 3-4 refills which would be approx. $3-$4 dollars if ordered separately each time. So basically it's roughly around $100 per day after including taxes if you pay out of pocket for what you get with the DDP. Of course that is only based on the averages. There are some menu options that are closer to $50 for an entree alone, depending on the location. Most buffets are $50+ for adults. Like I said, it is all subjective and if you just limit yourself to one QS meal a day or even just 1 TS a day you can definitely save money, but if you pay out of pocket for everything that comes with DDP, or you don't intentionally try to choose the cheapest option at each location, it is not cheaper.
You can't use a snack credit at a TS.
Yeah, I didn't think so I just wasn't sure.

I would say to pick one or the other and not try to do both in one night. When we do a dessert party we eat a late lunch so we can enjoy the desserts.

...... So the biggest question now is whether everyone will have to order or can one meal be shared between two people.
I'm hoping it will be like Ohana or a dessert party where everyone who shows up will be charged regardless of how much they eat. If they allow sharing then it will still be unbalanced.

Call me naive but I think Disney also became fed up with what I bet were constant customer complaints from people who were unhappy about not being able to have dinner there.

Watching tables order next to nothing while guests who actually want to eat dinner are left unhappy is not good business practice.
I would imagine the employees were complaining too.

This whole cupcake crowd thing reminds me of a situation that I had when I was running a nonprofit organization that had a (very small) yearly membership fee. As a benefit to our members we would reserve several hotel rooms for members to share at a local conference. We had two women who would renew their membership every year in the month before the conference so they could get their room for free. The membership fee was much, much cheaper than the hotel room and they saw nothing wrong with the practice and even promoted it to other people. They were not breaking any membership rules by doing it, but they were breaking all sorts of social etiquette rules. Needless to say, the other members who put a great deal of time and effort into the group were very upset with how unbalanced it became, so we had to change the rules to make it more balanced. They never joined the group again after we added rules/requirements to the yearly hotel conference trip. If you asked these women today if they thought what they did was wrong they would say no. They operated within the rules and got what they wanted.

I'm glad Disney changed the rules. Disney vacations are not cheap and most of us have to pick and choose what we spend money on while we're there. Prix fixe levels the playing field for those who choose to spend their money on a dinner experience.

but if you pay out of pocket for everything that comes with DDP

And that is where those of us who no longer use DDP say it is cheaper. We don't want everything that comes with the DDP, so we're paying for things we won't eat/drink. Then there's those snack credits or QS credits that don't get used, and you have a suitcase full of packaged snacks to take home. Some people really like this part of having the DDP, but to me, it's money I don't want to spend.

The biggest savings with the plan is made by those who still have Disney children and they can still easily save that 10-20%.

And by the way, when you add tax to your $66 + $4 refill, you're only at $74.55, so $1 cheaper than you paid for the plan.

I don't agree with this at all, what was happening at BOG with an entire group going for just a cupcake in order to meet the beast is a far cry from someone going to a restaurant and having an appetizer and dessert for dinner because they enjoy the restaurant and food, but may not prefer, or be hungry enough for, an entree. There should not be a universal requirement that someone purchase an entree in order to be allowed a table at dinner. I have no issue with BOG going with a true Prix fix model, and requiring everyone to order it, but I disagree with saying that you need to have an entree at each meal. Many of my favorite meals at WDW are appetizers and they more than fill me up. At Jiko I ordered a bottle of wine, got the wild boar appetizer, and a side of macaroni and cheese, I can assure you that the restaurant was more than fine with it, and I spent more than someone who sat down and only ate an entree to fulfill your 'must have an entree' requirement.

I doubt I'll be going anymore unless I'm with someone who wants to, but I won't miss it. Possibly using TIW might make it worthwhile if the food is ok. I don't use DDP. BTW, octopus and snails are delicious if cooked correctly.

By the way, I go to signature restaurants all the time and order apps and alcoholic beverages. These things ain't cheap. I couldn't care less whether the restaurant doesn't like it, they didn't lose any $$ off me. I don't get out paying much less, if any, than I would have if I ordered an entrée. The difference is that with BOG, the restaurant itself was the draw, not the food or drinks. they had whole parties of people going in there and ordering a mini cupcake and a glass of water just so they could see the restaurant or get a photo with the Beast.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter