So How Do We Feel About the Changes to Be Our Guest?

Little off subject but I agree. We no longer use the DDP because we found it cheeper to pay out of pocket.
100% agree. We purchased the regular dining plan this past September. I did the math and not even counting all the snacks I had to grab on our last day that ended up going in the trash when they spoiled, You can come out way cheaper just paying outright for your food. #1, on hot days we always eat less so breakfast and dinner with a snack are the norm. In fact, there were a few days we ate one meal and snacked all day. When we buy our food, for the most part we do exactly what the dining plan offers .... 1 QS and 1 TS but when we purchased the dining plan we "had" to eat up the meals. It took the "choice" to eat off the table. The only reason we are doing the dining plan this coming September is because it was offered free on our Bounce Back offer. I won't have a problem using 2 TS credits to eat at California Grill or CRT but I don't see the value on using 2 at BOG so we will just pay for that one. It's a given that we go at least once. My kids loved it so much, they still talk about it when they see anything closely related to it.

But lets face it, a poor meal in WDW is better than a great meal anywhere else.
I agree to a point. I see a lot of people complaining about the food, including me. Honestly, the only 2 places I really did not like the food was BOG and Chef Mickey's. I will still take my kids to both because they are both "Magical". There are only a few items I refuse to eat at WDW. QS hamburgers, any chicken nuggets and the rubbery french fries. Everything else I have ate at WDW was pretty darn good!

This is another attempt at Disney pawing at my wallet and I am 1/2 tempted to cancel my entire vacation there because of it. Had I not told the kids we were going it would be a def. As is I may still say to hell with Disney and go to Universal instead.

I have come to grips with having to spend a lot of $ going to Disney, but when they do things like this it is like taking the hood ornament off a Porsche and putting it on a VW bug and charging 75k for the car. If they wanted to be more honest about it they should worn a ski mask and used a gun when they announced the change.
Wow. You probably SHOULD cancel if thats really how you feel. Seems a little over dramatic about a restaurant changing menus.

Don’t know how I feel about the update yet. We love BOG for the environment and the foods decent. Typically we wouldn’t pay $55 per meal as we wouldn’t order appetizers. However, I think if the food quality goes up and depending on the menu we might give it a shot. We always do a TS dinner in MK and most of the other restaurants are either too expensive, bad quality food, or we just don’t like the menu. I’m glad that we’re not going until next year though so I can see how it works out before making ADRs

There's not a place in Disney World, save a couple bars in Disney Springs, that have a minimum/cover. I think there would be real issues trying to impose minimums per seat in a restaurant. Even Trader Sam's hasn't done a minimum.

They either charge per head, or don't. Prix fixe is, essentially, a way of requiring a minimum that is enforceable.

I'm fine with it going prix fixe. I wouldn't go there and only order a cupcake anyway. I'm not fine with it becoming 2 table service credits. I also find the old menu much more appealing than the new one. 2 table service credits for a menu I don't love is a deal breaker for me.

I agree to a point. I see a lot of people complaining about the food, including me. Honestly, the only 2 places I really did not like the food was BOG and Chef Mickey's. I will still take my kids to both because they are both "Magical". There are only a few items I refuse to eat at WDW. QS hamburgers, any chicken nuggets and the rubbery french fries. Everything else I have ate at WDW was pretty darn good!

It makes me sad that our WDW is slipping in food. So to lighten to mood here are several restaurants and meals that I have personally enjoyed. Let me know if you have any experiences that are similar.

1. Cookes of Dublin amazing Fish and Chips
2. Earl of Sandwich I have never had a bad meal.
3. Flame Tree Barbecue Ribs and Chicken I was really surprised by this one.
4. The Grand Cafe The Grand Sandwich or the Lobster Burger. One of the best meals on property.

It makes me sad that our WDW is slipping in food. So to lighten to mood here are several restaurants and meals that I have personally enjoyed. Let me know if you have any experiences that are similar.

4. The Grand Cafe The Grand Sandwich or the Lobster Burger. One of the best meals on property.

I think it's way too easy to get sucked in to the dining aspect at Disney. I go for a lots of things but food quality in relation to price, isn't one of them. There are fewer and fewer places we go eat simply because I won't pay that for that. We have also found great ways to enjoy Disney Dining without walking out feeling ripped off.

I like all of your suggestions ........ although I LOVE LOVE the Grand Cafe Sandwich.

I think it's way too easy to get sucked in to the dining aspect at Disney. I go for a lots of things but food quality in relation to price, isn't one of them. There are fewer and fewer places we go eat simply because I won't pay that for that. We have also found great ways to enjoy Disney Dining without walking out feeling ripped off.

Agree. Maybe it's that the food isn't as good as it used to be...maybe it's that I don't get covered in pixie dust like others...or maybe it's a combination of the two. But, like I've said many times before, there are better restaurants within an hour of my small town than any within the confines of Disney property (except maybe V&A...I've never eaten there so I can't say). What amazes me is the number of people from NYC (and other cities supposedly known for their food) who claim to have more "sophisticated" palates than the common folks, and they rave about the quality of food at WDW. I just don't see it.

Don't get me wrong....many places are *good* at Disney. I just don't have those "that meal blew me away" experiences that many seem to have.

I wonder if there would be less push-back if BOG had split the difference: 1TS credit, $45 OOP, prixe fix and you can choose appetizer and entree OR entree and dessert. It's a little complex, and people would still complain, but I'm a little concerned that it will be too much food per person for us. Hopefully the appetizers are fine dining sized and not American-sized.

And the top comment seems to be that it's not currently worth 2TS compared to the other 2TS restaurants, which could also be fixed with some added magic from BOG (add Belle, add Lumiere and Cogsworth anims to M&G room, make the servers into castle servants, maybe live music.)

(add Belle, add Lumiere and Cogsworth anims to M&G room, make the servers into castle servants, maybe live music.)
They cannot add Belle. She's next door at Enchanted Tales as well as Cogsworth, Lumiere and the others. Only the Beast is not at Enchanted Tales

I have not eaten at any of the 4 you just listed. Must add them to my "To Do" list :)

They cannot add Belle. She's next door at Enchanted Tales as well as Cogsworth, Lumiere and the others. Only the Beast is not at Enchanted Tales

I know the policy used to be that they couldn't have two of the same character present in a park at the same time, but haven't they gotten away from that a little? Doesn't Ariel meet at both her grotto and in CRT? Jasmine in Adventureland and CRT? Pooh and Tigger near the Pooh ride or in Crystal Palace? Belle, Snow White, Jasmine, and sometimes Mulan in Akershus as well as World Showcase countries? Donald, Mickey, and Goofy in Tusker House as well as elsewhere in AK? Disney Jr friends at Hollywood & Vine or Animation Courtyard? Last time we were in Epcot, we met Pluto just in the WS loop, then saw him again 15 mins later at Garden Grill-- pretty sure he was in both places at the same time. I'm sure I'm missing several characters too that meet in more than one place in a park at the same time.

Point being, it shouldn't really matter if the other BatB characters are right next door. As long as people cannot physically see two of the same character at the same time, it's no different than how so many other character meets are set up throughout the park. That's why I also never bought the argument that Elsa and Anna couldn't be at Akershus and meet in Norway too. Heck, with something like that or this (close proximity of Enchanted Tales and BOG), it could at least be argued to a questioning kid that the characters go back and forth between the two locations. It's a lot harder to explain to a kid how Belle can be meeting in France and on the other side of the WS at Akershus at the same time.

Agree. Maybe it's that the food isn't as good as it used to be...maybe it's that I don't get covered in pixie dust like others...or maybe it's a combination of the two. But, like I've said many times before, there are better restaurants within an hour of my small town than any within the confines of Disney property (except maybe V&A...I've never eaten there so I can't say). What amazes me is the number of people from NYC (and other cities supposedly known for their food) who claim to have more "sophisticated" palates than the common folks, and they rave about the quality of food at WDW. I just don't see it.

Don't get me wrong....many places are *good* at Disney. I just don't have those "that meal blew me away" experiences that many seem to have.
The only place I have ever had a meal that blew me away was in Italy. I go to the different restaurants to experience the restaurant. If I like it I will return, if I didn't, there is another one around the corner to try

I didn’t really like our dinner either but my kids like to go and are fine with lunch ( we all like the lunch)there as long as they get to go in. Confession: I love the chicken nuggets and sometimes get the kids nuggets when not on the adult menu at QS. I think I have a problem.:teeth:

Earl of sandwich, sunshine seasons, captain cooks, and Columbia harbor house are great QS. Il Mulino, yachtsman, and yak and yeti are great TS. I need to try Cookes of Dublin!

At other prix fixe meals, do they let you swap desserts for appetizers, or vice versa? We're going to eat at BOG and then do the Fireworks dessert party, so wondering if we could do two appetizers rather than dessert, for at least one of us. But I don't know if that's a thing they let you do at other prix fixe meals. Any insight?

Well, I'm from Chicago and we have some of the best restaurants in the world, so I've had my fair share of good dinners.

That said, that doesn't mean that I can't have a good dinner somewhere else!

Morimoto- fantastic. Great food, great atmosphere, great cocktails.
The Wave - great. Great crab-cakes, great service. And a great burger at lunch.
Kona breakfast - amazing. Their version of eggs benedict was one of my favorite breakfasts, ever!

So, it can happen! :)

Well, I'm from Chicago and we have some of the best restaurants in the world, so I've had my fair share of good dinners.

That said, that doesn't mean that I can't have a good dinner somewhere else!

Morimoto- fantastic. Great food, great atmosphere, great cocktails.
The Wave - great. Great crab-cakes, great service. And a great burger at lunch.
Kona breakfast - amazing. Their version of eggs benedict was one of my favorite breakfasts, ever!

So, it can happen! :)
I agree with The Wave. We have had breakfast and dinner and its always really good.

I know the policy used to be that they couldn't have two of the same character present in a park at the same time, but haven't they gotten away from that a little? Doesn't Ariel meet at both her grotto and in CRT? Jasmine in Adventureland and CRT? Pooh and Tigger near the Pooh ride or in Crystal Palace? Belle, Snow White, Jasmine, and sometimes Mulan in Akershus as well as World Showcase countries? Donald, Mickey, and Goofy in Tusker House as well as elsewhere in AK? Disney Jr friends at Hollywood & Vine or Animation Courtyard? Last time we were in Epcot, we met Pluto just in the WS loop, then saw him again 15 mins later at Garden Grill-- pretty sure he was in both places at the same time. I'm sure I'm missing several characters too that meet in more than one place in a park at the same time.

Point being, it shouldn't really matter if the other BatB characters are right next door. As long as people cannot physically see two of the same character at the same time, it's no different than how so many other character meets are set up throughout the park. That's why I also never bought the argument that Elsa and Anna couldn't be at Akershus and meet in Norway too. Heck, with something like that or this (close proximity of Enchanted Tales and BOG), it could at least be argued to a questioning kid that the characters go back and forth between the two locations. It's a lot harder to explain to a kid how Belle can be meeting in France and on the other side of the WS at Akershus at the same time.

CRT and Princess Fairytale Hall are literally spitting distance. You walk right by the PFH sign with the Cinderella's picture, then through a door and she is there meeting. Enchanted Tales isn't a deal breaker.

Yes, it happens in every park, it's up to parents to adjust their plans to avoid the questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter