So how specific can you be with dietary preferences?

Laura22

in
I'm kind of joking, but also kind of not.

I have a 5 year old on the spectrum and she is an extreme picky eater. For breakfast, there is literally only one food that she will eat and she's eaten it pretty much every morning of her life. Eggo chocolate chip pancake bites. She will not eat any other type of pancake, or any other breakfast food at all, despite years of our futile efforts! She doesn't eat bread, fruit, cereal...nothing. Just the pancakes. And it is something that needs to be frozen and can only be cooked in a microwave. Usually when we travel we pack a cooler of ice to transport her pancake pouches around and we book hotel rooms that have microwaves. What are the chances we could bring these pouches on the ship, get some ice from somewhere, and that we could get one of the kitchens to throw one in the microwave each morning for 30 seconds?

Worst case she will have to skip breakfast for the duration of the trip, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

prod_img-1630038_eggo_pancakes_new_biteschocolatechip.png

I'm kind of joking, but also kind of not.

I have a 5 year old on the spectrum and she is an extreme picky eater. For breakfast, there is literally only one food that she will eat and she's eaten it pretty much every morning of her life. Eggo chocolate chip pancake bites. She will not eat any other type of pancake, or any other breakfast food at all, despite years of our futile efforts! She doesn't eat bread, fruit, cereal...nothing. Just the pancakes. And it is something that needs to be frozen and can only be cooked in a microwave. Usually when we travel we pack a cooler of ice to transport her pancake pouches around and we book hotel rooms that have microwaves. What are the chances we could bring these pouches on the ship, get some ice from somewhere, and that we could get one of the kitchens to throw one in the microwave each morning for 30 seconds?

Worst case she will have to skip breakfast for the duration of the trip, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

prod_img-1630038_eggo_pancakes_new_biteschocolatechip.png
You certainly can bring them along (can't put ice on them until onboard). Ice is available at both the drink stations and from your room host.

Sadly, putting them in the microwave - I doubt it. They won't "cook" personal foods for individuals in the kitchens.

Thank you both! Maybe I can come up with a way to heat them up without a microwave. Hairdryer? LOL

They have Mickey shaped waffles at Cabanas. Maybe with all the excitement of being on Mickey's ship she'll surprise you and be willing to try them??? They have different toppings for them.

Thank you both! Maybe I can come up with a way to heat them up without a microwave. Hairdryer? LOL
That might work.

There's also those chemical packs you could put them in to heat them.
Have you tried just serving them to her at home just thawed (room temperature)?

Or, maybe you could mix them in with some of the pancakes served at breakfast?

They have Mickey shaped waffles at Cabanas. Maybe with all the excitement of being on Mickey's ship she'll surprise you and be willing to try them??? They have different toppings for them.

Yeah she's picky to the extreme. She won't eat any toppings on anything and we go to Disney World all the time and she is not the least bit interested in the Mickey waffles, even plain lol.

That might work.

There's also those chemical packs you could put them in to heat them.
View attachment 445700
Have you tried just serving them to her at home just thawed (room temperature)?

Or, maybe you could mix them in with some of the pancakes served at breakfast?

Good ideas! We could try just thawing some at room temp at home and see what she thinks of it. Hand warmers are another great idea. I could set them on a paper towel on a hand warmer and that should get them warm enough to eat. Thanks for helping me think outside the box!

I feel for you. For many years my dd would only eat 3 different things for lunch. She'd eat more things for dinner, but not for lunch. She's 11 yrs old now and will now eat 5 things for lunch, lol!

I feel for you. For many years my dd would only eat 3 different things for lunch. She'd eat more things for dinner, but not for lunch. She's 11 yrs old now and will now eat 5 things for lunch, lol!

Yeah she only eats a handful of things for lunch and dinner too, but thankfully chicken tenders and pizza are among them. Breakfast is always our biggest challenge when traveling!

I wonder if they'd toast her little pancakes for her if she asked politely.
...but if she brings them on board it wouldn't hurt to ask them.
No. I have to disagree with this. Health codes are strict - and for good reason. CMs are not allowed to put guest-provided foods into any appliance (toaster, microwave, oven, blender, refrigerator, freezer, etc.). They cannot confirm the safety of said food product, nor the lack of any contaminents which could be introduced to the kitchen/food prep/serving area. It’s a major health code violation and would be a real issue for DCL if reported. Please don’t put a CM in that position by even asking.

I have a special needs child and can sympathize with OP - travel can be a real challenge at times. But we find a way to make things work or re-consider our plans. It sounds like OP has some outside-the-box options to try and is willing to work with it.

OP - Good luck with the food issues and enjoy your cruise!

No. I have to disagree with this. Health codes are strict - and for good reason. CMs are not allowed to put guest-provided foods into any appliance (toaster, microwave, oven, blender, refrigerator, freezer, etc.). They cannot confirm the safety of said food product, nor the lack of any contaminents which could be introduced to the kitchen/food prep/serving area. It’s a major health code violation and would be a real issue for DCL if reported. Please don’t put a CM in that position by even asking.

I have a special needs child and can sympathize with OP - travel can be a real challenge at times. But we find a way to make things work or re-consider our plans. It sounds like OP has some outside-the-box options to try and is willing to work with it.

OP - Good luck with the food issues and enjoy your cruise!
Thank you for reminding me that I'm not the smartest person in the room. I'm traveling with "OP" and was just trying to help her get some answers. Even with my shortcomings, I assure you I'm not stupid enough to get anyone into trouble. We'll manage to make it through somehow, I'm sure.

The only heating devices available for passengers are the hairdryer in your room and the iron in the laundry room. Bringing a heating device on the ship is not allowed, not that I think you would try.

I can just imagine ironing a bag of pancakes in the morning.

How about if you put the pancakes in a ziplock and then immerse them in boiling water for a few minutes? Sort of a travelling person's sous vide?
I like this idea. Order some hot water for two or three cups of tea from room service each morning.
Bring a container big enough to hold the serving of thawed pancakes in a ziplock bag. Place it in your container and pour the hot tea water on top. Perhaps the hair dryer would work on the zip locked pancakes too. Experiment at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!