So I’m gonna be a dad...

Congratulations!!

I hope to be a good dad I’ve been reading a TON of books!

Definitely read and learn a lot! (But don't be scared when some of the books say opposite things. - Pick and choose, and go with what matches your gut.)

You are a good dad if you are able to listen without anger...guide when needed, show interest in what they are doing be it studies or chorus or plays or sports...

Excellent advice!

You don't get parenting from a book. You are a good dad if you are able to listen without anger, punish when necessary, guide when needed, show interest in what they are doing be it studies or chorus or plays or sports and always let them know that they are the spark in your eyes, the pride in your heart and the person that will always be there for them. If they know they can depend on you if needed, you will be a trusted and good dad.

I guess a book is a good basis, but, life isn't scripted. Many things happen that no one thought of and if you can be their strength when they feel weak and just be there for them... no book can tell you how to act, you just need to really care. And congratulation, the birth and growth of my two girls (now grown up with their own children) is the one thing I look back on as being the highlight of an otherwise less then spectacular life, but, I am proud to have had the opportunity to experience all of it with them, so far!

Thanks for the fantastic advice.

Sadly I don’t have too many women family members left in my life so I mean basic essentials like how to feed when to feed pretty much essential things just so I have a familiar idea.

It seems like this thread has been going on so long he must be college age now. :p, just teasing, you will be a great dad

Congratulations!! Getting close now, right? If you work, do you have paternity leave? Did someone throw a baby shower? Are you ready, or still getting stuff together? This is a very exciting time!! :cool1: Tell us some details :hyper:

Thanks for the fantastic advice.

Sadly I don’t have too many women family members left in my life so I mean basic essentials like how to feed when to feed pretty much essential things just so I have a familiar idea.

If you haven't been around little ones, it can be a scary thought. You could call and see if your local hospital or health department offer any classes for new parents, some of the places around here do. After your baby comes, when you take him to the pediatrician, ask any and all questions you have, and write the answers down if you need to. Don't be embarrassed to ask, they are there to help.

My father left us when we were 8 and I will never ever for a second ever make my child feel unloved, even for a second that I walk this earth.

:hug: I'm so sorry about your dad. And I'm sorry about the rotten people in your life who have negative things to say. How the heck do they know what God wants? They've got some kind of a direct line?? :confused3 :rotfl::rotfl:

There are so many fertility treatments today... I know many, many children who wouldn't be here without fertility intervention, and I bet they do too, and don't even know it. Not everyone shares that type of information.

You'll be an amazing dad, just because you want to be. I know too many kids with absent parents... it's heartbreaking. Your baby is one lucky little soul :love:

:hug: I'm so sorry about your dad. And I'm sorry about the rotten people in your life who have negative things to say. How the heck do they know what God wants? They've got some kind of a direct line?? :confused3 :rotfl::rotfl:

There are so many fertility treatments today... I know many, many children who wouldn't be here without fertility intervention, and I bet they do too, and don't even know it. Not everyone shares that type of information.

You'll be an amazing dad, just because you want to be. I know too many kids with absent parents... it's heartbreaking. Your baby is one lucky little soul :love:

Thank you so much your words and thoughts mean so much. I need, good positive energy and people with good hearts!

He’s coming so I can’t turn back now!

Exciting times! Good luck with everything, what a lucky kid to have a dad who loves Disney.:earsboy:

I just saw that this thread was right above "Meghan Markle Pregnant"...those two together are kind of trippy.

Be sure to take LOTS of pictures of you and your child together. I know people that take hundreds of child pictures and don’t include themselves. Trust me, he will want to show those pictures to his own kids one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!