So I was Approved for the Southwest Visa... Now What?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
So I was approved for the Southwest Visa via the promotion to receive 60,000 Rapid Rewards if I spend $2k in the first 3 months. I plan to do this without a problem, so at the end of my 3 months, should I just be able to log in to my Rapid Rewards Account, and I'll see my bonus points? Or do I have to do something else to "claim" them?

So I was approved for the Southwest Visa via the promotion to receive 60,000 Rapid Rewards if I spend $2k in the first 3 months. I plan to do this without a problem, so at the end of my 3 months, should I just be able to log in to my Rapid Rewards Account, and I'll see my bonus points? Or do I have to do something else to "claim" them?
Yes, once you have charged the $2k + $69 or $99 fee and your statement has closed those points will transfer to your RR account.

Depending on what you are looking to do, you may want to consider also applying for a 2nd one (either the Premier or Plus, whichever one you did not apply for) in order to get an additional 60k which would give you a companion pass (CP). I just applied for both and will be waiting until my statement closes in early Dec and then making my final spend of $2000 on each card in shortly thereafter so I can get CP for 2018 and 2019. If you needed the points sooner than Jan then your CP would only be good for the remainder of the year and 2018.

Depending on what you are looking to do, you may want to consider also applying for a 2nd one (either the Premier or Plus, whichever one you did not apply for) in order to get an additional 60k which would give you a companion pass (CP). I just applied for both and will be waiting until my statement closes in early Dec and then making my final spend of $2000 on each card in shortly thereafter so I can get CP for 2018 and 2019. If you needed the points sooner than Jan then your CP would only be good for the remainder of the year and 2018.

Alexie,
Now that you have been approved for your card, I would create a chase account if you haven't already. Then I would send chase a secure message regarding the points and request the end date for your spend to be sure you are accurate with these two pieces. Any mistake could be incredibly disappointing. I have found Chase to be incredibly helpful and easy to communicate with. I would also create your own Southwest account so the points go directly into the account that you have created. A friend failed to do this and it took many emails to get this straightened out.

I would second your suggestion to get the second card. My mother and I have each gotten our companion passes and have a total of around 30 flights arranged already with my daughter and granddaughter flying as companions. LOVE flying free!!!!

So I keep reading about the Companion Pass but keep getting confused. So if I applied for a second card right now, and reached the $2k requirement on both, I would get the Companion Pass for 2018 for sure, correct? And how is it that I should try to go about for both 2018 and 2019? Do BOTH cards have to have that 3rd month statement fall in January? Or just one?

I'm trying to debate how good of a value it is for our family. It's definitely a great value, I totally agree, but overall we don't fly much. I am primarily trying to get free flights for our 2018 Disney Cruise. But if I could nab that companion pass, my wheels are already turning for like a weekend trip just to attend MNSSHP and MVMCP. Ha!

from what I under stand if you want the CP for both 2018 and 2019 , it's too early to apply for the card, most people say to wait till middle of October so that the last of your spending falls in January thus the points will post in January , also yes both cards will need to post points in January.

You
So I keep reading about the Companion Pass but keep getting confused. So if I applied for a second card right now, and reached the $2k requirement on both, I would get the Companion Pass for 2018 for sure, correct? And how is it that I should try to go about for both 2018 and 2019? Do BOTH cards have to have that 3rd month statement fall in January? Or just one?

I'm trying to debate how good of a value it is for our family. It's definitely a great value, I totally agree, but overall we don't fly much. I am primarily trying to get free flights for our 2018 Disney Cruise. But if I could nab that companion pass, my wheels are already turning for like a weekend trip just to attend MNSSHP and MVMCP. Ha!
You need a 110k SW RR points in a calendar year so you would need the points from 2 cards to hit in the same year else you then need to come with 50k more. I plan to put some spend on the Premier and Plus in the next couple of months but not meet spend until after my Dec statement posts so that the spend in Dec will post in early Jan and then the 120k points will post to my SW RR account in early Jan and I'll be set for CP for 2018 and 2019. DH currently has the CP so it was my turn to apply for the 2 cards to get CP. It has been fantastic. We have taken 3 trips to Punta Cana, several to Orlando, several to AZ and we haven't had to pay for DS (he is the companion) except for taxes in 2 years plus all of our travel has been covered by points.

It may be too early to get companion pass status for both 2018 and 2019.

To earn companion pass status you must earn 110K rapid rewards points within the same calendar year. Once you've reached it, you "maintain Companion Pass status for the remainder of the calendar year in which the status was earned and for the entire calendar year immediately following."

You'll for sure get companion pass status for 2018 if you apply for a second card with a 60k bonus. However, depending on when you were approved for your first card, you might be able to time applying for the second card and spending requirements for both cards just right so that all points post in early 2018. Then you'd get the full 2018 and 2019 with companion pass status.

As brownhaired_girl recommended, secure message Chase to request your spend end date so that you don't miss out on earning points. You have 90 days (some report it's on occasion slightly flexible at 115 days max) from card approval to reach the spend requirement for bonus points. If all points post before 2018, then you'd get companion pass status for 2017 through the end of 2018. If 60k post in the 2017 calendar year and another 60k in the 2018 calendar year, you'd still have the points but you won't have companion pass status.

Alexie,
Now that you have been approved for your card, I would create a chase account if you haven't already. Then I would send chase a secure message regarding the points and request the end date for your spend to be sure you are accurate with these two pieces. Any mistake could be incredibly disappointing. I have found Chase to be incredibly helpful and easy to communicate with. I would also create your own Southwest account so the points go directly into the account that you have created. A friend failed to do this and it took many emails to get this straightened out.

I would second your suggestion to get the second card. My mother and I have each gotten our companion passes and have a total of around 30 flights arranged already with my daughter and granddaughter flying as companions. LOVE flying free!!!!
Thanks, DH currently has CP. It was my turn to apply. I've had a SW RR for many years so I just put my current RR number on the apps since I currently have points sitting in my account.

Alexie,

Sorry double post.

My new southwest card now shows up when I log into my online chase account. It states the next payment is due 11/3. Does that mean my payment cycles are 11/3, 12/3, and 1/3? If so, it sounds favorable that I could open the second account and potentially get the companion pass for 2018 and 2019?

My new southwest card now shows up when I log into my online chase account. It states the next payment is due 11/3. Does that mean my payment cycles are 11/3, 12/3, and 1/3? If so, it sounds favorable that I could open the second account and potentially get the companion pass for 2018 and 2019?
Absolutely! Your statement should then close on the 6th of the month. (3 days after your payment date.) I contacted Chase yesterday about mine that were approved on 9/4 and 9/6. I have until 12/28 and 12/30 to make the spend. So plenty of time for CP to start in Jan :)

I think it goes by statement close date and not payment date. I read on reddit that you could request to change your statement close date, so that it could work in your favor. Details are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/6va8sl/daily_discussion_thread_august_22_2017/dlz9a29/.

Absolutely! Your statement should then close on the 6th of the month. (3 days after your payment date.) I contacted Chase yesterday about mine that were approved on 9/4 and 9/6. I have until 12/28 and 12/30 to make the spend. So plenty of time for CP to start in Jan :)
I don't understand... If you have until 12/28 and 12/30 doesn't that mean you'll get a companion pass for a couple of days in 2017 and then all of 2018?? I thought you needed the spend date to end in the beginning of January?

I got our cards in the mail today (husband and I) and now I have a question. On his card it lists his RR number, but on mine it does not. Since we have the same card, same CC number, does it matter that the RR number is only on one?

I don't understand... If you have until 12/28 and 12/30 doesn't that mean you'll get a companion pass for a couple of days in 2017 and then all of 2018?? I thought you needed the spend date to end in the beginning of January?
No. The Dec statement will close in early Dec so the Dec purchases won't post until the Jan statement which will then meet the $2k in spend and the 60k RR point. So I'll have CP beginning in Jan for 2018 and 2019.

I got our cards in the mail today (husband and I) and now I have a question. On his card it lists his RR number, but on mine it does not. Since we have the same card, same CC number, does it matter that the RR number is only on one?
Are you an authorized user on his account? Or did you apply for your own CCs?

No. The Dec statement will close in early Dec so the Dec purchases won't post until the Jan statement which will then meet the $2k in spend and the 60k RR point. So I'll have CP beginning in Jan for 2018 and 2019.

Ok, so if I want to get the companion pass in January, it is ok to apply now? I won't have to wait for Oct 1st? I'm struggling with when to apply. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter