so...many....reviews...

twinmom319

Mouseketeer
Hi all -
I have been doing much research and am ready to dive into the DSLR world. I have searched this forum but haven't found a great answer to this specific question. I'm comparing the Nikon D3400 to the Canon T6i. I've tried both out in the store, like the way both handle, and could deal with both cameras/interfaces. I really like the Canon but it is stretching my budget. I would just be able to get the camera with kit lens and the basic accessories (bag, extra battery, etc). If I went with the Nikon, I could upgrade the lens/add a different lens sooner. And so I look to your wisdom... Is it worth stretching my budget for the Canon, and just learn that lens, or would it be better to buy the Nikon and upgrade the lens sooner?

I am primarily interested in landscape photography, travel photography, and kids.

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I trust my disboards experts!! Thanks :)

Hi all -
I have been doing much research and am ready to dive into the DSLR world. I have searched this forum but haven't found a great answer to this specific question. I'm comparing the Nikon D3400 to the Canon T6i. I've tried both out in the store, like the way both handle, and could deal with both cameras/interfaces. I really like the Canon but it is stretching my budget. I would just be able to get the camera with kit lens and the basic accessories (bag, extra battery, etc). If I went with the Nikon, I could upgrade the lens/add a different lens sooner. And so I look to your wisdom... Is it worth stretching my budget for the Canon, and just learn that lens, or would it be better to buy the Nikon and upgrade the lens sooner?
I am primarily interested in landscape photography, travel photography, and kids.
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I trust my disboards experts!! Thanks :)

both would work fine but have you thought about non-DSLR alternatives such as mirrorless cameras or the smaller zoom cameras (sony rx100, Canon G7X).
Mirrorless models like the Canon M50, M6 and Sony A6500 are smaller and lighter and can use DSLR lenses. they will cost more than the entry level Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras but might be worth it for your situation
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

They are pretty equivalent cameras. Image quality is nearly identical — Nikon potentially has an edge but you’re unlikely to notice it shooting jpegs.
The Canon has better video AF and a few extra features like touch tiltingscreen.
So decide whether you get value from things like the more advanced LCD.

I have the D3400 and love it! In the past 6 months I've used it for travel (Disney!) photography, nature photography and kids, both random moments and getting pics of my 6 year old playing soccer.

If you get this one, be sure to get the sale offer that is going on right now at all the major retailers, $500 for the camera, 18-55 mm lens, 70-300 mm lens, case and sometimes other miscellaneous extras. the kit (18-55 mm) lens is good for day to day but the 70-300 mm has been invaluable for nature and sports already.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter