So much info - along with it a new trip plan... come on in...thoughts & suggestions..

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Let me please say "Thank you" to everyone... for all the great tips, trip reports, and suggestions... Please Please keep them coming...:worship::worship::worship::thanks:

So I have been spending a crazy amount of time.... hours and hours researching what we would like to do... dealing with estimating a budget, and the air travel dilemma, as well as using the trains, and making the most of our time... while we are there...

So right now we haven't picked a time of year 2020... Mid to Late March - Cherry blossoms - Mid May after Golden Week - or November for fall colors....We are making sure to miss Golden Week, as well as the Olympics in July and August of next year...

Looking hopefully for some great deals on airfare - and hotels --- looking at you Hilton for a good holiday sales like last year....

So nothing is written in stone... I think that this might be a core map and plan for our trip... as things stand right now... 9 or 10 nights total... not including travel days... right now... this is of course a plan... and depending on DH work scheduling for the time of year... we really want 11 to 12 days but in all honesty I don't think that will happen...not that he doesn't have the time.. he has over 5 weeks, not including floating holidays... with his position taking 2 weeks off is very hard... If he can and will... it will be the first time he has ever taken this much time off in his life...

Air Fare - living in Fl adds some challenges with the time zones and long travel days -1) Looking at booking round trip from Orlando to LAX or Seattle and back with hotel for one night... from somewhere like Expedia... we have like $200.00 in points to use by the end of the year... leaving when DH gets off work for a evening flight to get a jump on the air travel and time change.. 2) Booking one way upgraded seats from LAX or Seattle to Osaka, Kansai airport 3) Booking One way upgraded seats from Tokyo Narita airport to either LAX or Seattle.... We have some points on some credit cards for air travel, as well with Delta quite a few points... so later on we will have to decide.... we are trying to add up as many points as possible right now....

Osaka - we will book a car to take us to hotel - we are looking for a early arrival so that we can do some touring on arrival day...

Staying at the Hilton Osaka looking for club level possibly... 4 or 5 nights - We plan to visit Osaka... looking at a 2 day hop on hop off bus, which includes 1 river cruise as well as local subway... which from what I read and think is good for 48 hours consecutive hours from time of first use?...

then

Our JR rail pass will kick on the 3rd day - for Day trips, to Kyoto (2 day trips), Hiroshima full day trip, and whatever else we decided to do... Does the JR pass cover a local trains in Kyoto? or is there a hop on hop off bus? or will we need a different local train pass?

DH thinks that the green line is the way he wants to travel... I guess that will depend on once we can tell what the major items are going to cost... Airfare and Hotel... are always the budget busters...

After our stay in Osaka -

We will ship our luggage to the Hilton Tokyo Bay - ....... looking at cost for 2 standard and 2 roll on's.. around 125.00? is this about right... and to use the company that the hotel suggest for a easy transaction? Our friend said that 125.00 is to much... more like 65.00 for 4 bags that seems like really low ball number?

On a side note we would love to stay on site at TDR... and we have not ruled this out yet. It would depend on cost of the big ticket item airfare... and if we could get a package and stay club level...

A friend suggested that we ship the luggage - the day before we check out of the Hilton Tokyo Bay, like early afternoon... and it would be easier and no problem for them to store, as we are going from Hilton to Hilton, and would make sure that the luggage was there when we arrived to check in at the Hilton Tokyo Bay.. so DH and I could easily leave out our clothes for the next day, keeping out our med's and personal care items... another friend said that's not necessary and we would be okay with shipping them early morning, and we should have no problem getting them the same day... If you have shipped length of time receiving your luggage and was it in the time frame that they told you...? and did it arrive as promised?

Take the Shinkansen early morning to Toyko -

Tokyo - one day - spend most of the day into the dinner early evening hour- in Tokyo, then grab the train to the Hilton Tokyo Bay.... ( A friend that was there last year - told DH to go to airport and use the train that goes straight to Disney... the monorail is what he called it...and it would be less hassle then dealing with the local trains...and keep us from switching trains a bunch of times? he said once we are through touring grab and Uber to the airport monorail/train area - that goes to Disney and we can buy a pass for the time we are staying in the station? I really haven't come across anything about a train or monorail that runs from the airport directly to Disney? Any insight into what he was talking about?

5 nights at Hilton Tokyo Bay -really leaning on club level here..

Buying tickets the Hotel for the Parks - 4 day park hopper? So if I understand this correctly the first 2 days we can only go into one park each day, then day 3 and 4 we can Park Hop.... right?

Monorail - this will be a separate train pass that we will need to purchase? Can we buy it at the hotel or will we need to buy it at the station? As well am I right in that the station is not at the hotel and we will need to walk to it? how far is it?

Ikspiari - I am not really sure about what this is? is it a shopping and restaurant area basically downtown Disney area? and is it on the Monorail loop? and for those of you that have been there, a friend said that there are some really good restaurant options here?

Say goodbye to Tokyo Disney - booking a car service to get back to the airport - Narita... and away we go...

If we are able to hit the 11 or 12 night mark... we would just add on time in Osaka... and plan another day trip, or maybe add a over night stay in Tokyo, before heading to Disney.... or adding a stay in Toyko after Disney for 1 night...

My neighbor said that one of the couples that is going on the group trip with them... is going to stay at an airport hotel ( which she said is really cheap to stay at) they will tour with them until check in at 3:00 and they will nap order room service for dinner and sleep some more...before making the trip home... At first I thought that was kinda crazy... with really thinking about it, its not a bad idea really...I honestly never thought about doing this... at least this way your not exhausted physically and mentally tired.. during your travel time home... and they will be traveling straight through from Haneda airport to Miami Fl.. so a long day for them... anyone else ever do this stay one night at airport hotel and just sleep like crazy before heading home?

Please any insights, thoughts, suggestions, tips... will be and are always appreciated... :thanks:

Last edited:
Your info is all over the place so I'll try to provide a plan starting from the shinkansen arriving in Tokyo and ending with the flight out from Narita.

You'll arrive in Tokyo station from the shinkansen and then explore Tokyo area. There is no reason to go to the airport. Just take the keiyo line from Tokyo station to Maihama after your day. When you exit Maihama station, you'll see Ikspiari and Resort Gateway Station on your left. You can buy tickets for the monorail at Resort Gateway Station. From there, take the monorail to Bayside station. The Hilton is across the street to the right when you exit (like 5 minutes walk). There are also shuttles from right outside the station if you don't want to walk. The monorail loop will connect you to all the main parts of TDR. There is also a limousine bus from Haneda directly to the Hilton if you end up closer to Haneda than Tokyo station but the last bus is around 7PM.

Ikspiari is more of a mall with clothing shops, restaurants and a grocery store. They have some performances and a Disney store like Downtown Disney. If you end up adding days in Tokyo, I suggest booking a hotel near Tokyo station for when you get off the shinkansen and then just carrying your luggage rather than shipping it. That would be more convenient and cost effective than going back to Tokyo after Disney. If you decide to ship luggage, just ask the hotel at check in what they recommend. They have the most experience with it.

If you stay at the club floor, I believe breakfast starts at 6:30. If you plan to grab a Toy Story Mania FP or rope drop any E-tickets, you need to be one of the first guests into breakfast if the park opens at 8AM.

When I leave from Narita, I prefer to just take the limousine bus to the airport which would be cheaper than booking a car. Since flights from Narita to the US depart in the afternoon, I don't see what the purpose of booking an airport hotel would be. If you need to rest, you could just sleep in at the Hilton and on the bus/car ride to the airport.

Ikspiari has what I think is the best ramen chain in Japan: Ippudo. If you're bored with theme park food, I suggest you try it out

We thought Ikspiari wasn't worth it really, it is on the monorail loop and you'll probably pass through it if you transfer via rail. It's basically a mall and isn't really Disney-themed like Disney Springs or Downtown Disney. That being said we quite liked the Old Owl English Pub for the cultural difference between an actual pub and the Japanese take on one.

Your info is all over the place so I'll try to provide a plan starting from the shinkansen arriving in Tokyo and ending with the flight out from Narita.

You'll arrive in Tokyo station from the shinkansen and then explore Tokyo area. There is no reason to go to the airport. Just take the keiyo line from Tokyo station to Maihama after your day. When you exit Maihama station, you'll see Ikspiari and Resort Gateway Station on your left. You can buy tickets for the monorail at Resort Gateway Station. From there, take the monorail to Bayside station. The Hilton is across the street to the right when you exit (like 5 minutes walk). There are also shuttles from right outside the station if you don't want to walk. The monorail loop will connect you to all the main parts of TDR. There is also a limousine bus from Haneda directly to the Hilton if you end up closer to Haneda than Tokyo station but the last bus is around 7PM.

Ikspiari is more of a mall with clothing shops, restaurants and a grocery store. They have some performances and a Disney store like Downtown Disney. If you end up adding days in Tokyo, I suggest booking a hotel near Tokyo station for when you get off the shinkansen and then just carrying your luggage rather than shipping it. That would be more convenient and cost effective than going back to Tokyo after Disney. If you decide to ship luggage, just ask the hotel at check in what they recommend. They have the most experience with it.

If you stay at the club floor, I believe breakfast starts at 6:30. If you plan to grab a Toy Story Mania FP or rope drop any E-tickets, you need to be one of the first guests into breakfast if the park opens at 8AM.

When I leave from Narita, I prefer to just take the limousine bus to the airport which would be cheaper than booking a car. Since flights from Narita to the US depart in the afternoon, I don't see what the purpose of booking an airport hotel would be. If you need to rest, you could just sleep in at the Hilton and on the bus/car ride to the airport.

Thanks for helping me get a plan for Tokyo to Disneyland - this is the section of the trip, that I'm really not sure about, and the trains are sorta making me nervous....this is not something that we use to get around living in Florida...

If you will bare with me... So once we arrive at the Tokyo station, to get to the destinations that we are interested in, how should we go about getting there, uber? or train? So here are the things that we would like to see... Skytree, Tokyo National Museum, Imperial Palace, and Nakamise Shopping street... From what I could tell on the map they are fairly close to each other. So should be able to do them all in one day.. If we go the train route, will the JR pass cover that? or will we need a different pass for this?

DH and I both really like the idea of hitting the ground in Tokyo and not having to deal with luggage, even if it works out where we can possible stay a night we would probably just bring the bigger travel back pack( like a standard size) and I have a small soft sling that we use for when we are traveling and out shopping, and bring our things for one night, and a outfit for the next day and kinda go that route... we have done this before and it worked out pretty good. Thankfully hotel rooms have a iron, to get out the wrinkles...

We aren't rope drop people so, we will have to look at this...I haven't even thought of a plan of attack yet for the parks...

We thought Ikspiari wasn't worth it really, it is on the monorail loop and you'll probably pass through it if you transfer via rail. It's basically a mall and isn't really Disney-themed like Disney Springs or Downtown Disney. That being said we quite liked the Old Owl English Pub for the cultural difference between an actual pub and the Japanese take on one.

We will have to check out the Old Owl English Pub, my friend said they had brunch at some kind Hawaiian restaurant, and it was pretty good and worth a stop, as well she said that they have a Rainforest Cafe... which was really nice done, and the menu was very different.

If you will bare with me... So once we arrive at the Tokyo station, to get to the destinations that we are interested in, how should we go about getting there, uber? or train? So here are the things that we would like to see... Skytree, Tokyo National Museum, Imperial Palace, and Nakamise Shopping street... From what I could tell on the map they are fairly close to each other. So should be able to do them all in one day.. If we go the train route, will the JR pass cover that? or will we need a different pass for this?

The Museum and Imperial Palace are JR accessible. Skytree and Nakamise Shopping Street are not. Their stations (Oshiage and Asakusa) are served by Tokyo Metro. You can buy individual tickets for each leg of your journey or get a metro card (Passmo or Suica). I've never taken an Uber in Tokyo but a taxi from Tokyo station to each of those locations would probably be 20ish USD each way vs about 2USD per person each way on the Metro.

I think trying to see Skytree in addition to the other three can be a bit rushed after getting off the Shinkansen. Lines can get crazy and they sometimes sell out of tickets by the afternoon on busy days. I've never bought the international tourist tickets before but you may have to spend the extra money for these to cut down on waits. Or you could just walk around Solamachi (the mall under the tower) and take a picture from the bottom without going up.

The Museum and Imperial Palace are JR accessible. Skytree and Nakamise Shopping Street are not. Their stations (Oshiage and Asakusa) are served by Tokyo Metro. You can buy individual tickets for each leg of your journey or get a metro card (Passmo or Suica). I've never taken an Uber in Tokyo but a taxi from Tokyo station to each of those locations would probably be 20ish USD each way vs about 2USD per person each way on the Metro.

I think trying to see Skytree in addition to the other three can be a bit rushed after getting off the Shinkansen. Lines can get crazy and they sometimes sell out of tickets by the afternoon on busy days. I've never bought the international tourist tickets before but you may have to spend the extra money for these to cut down on waits. Or you could just walk around Solamachi (the mall under the tower) and take a picture from the bottom without going up.

I did read something about the Suica card, we can load it then just swipe... If I read about this I am understanding it correctly the local metro/ trains/subways are all run by different companies, by getting the card we can use it on all the lines... So again Please... bare with me... I'm really trying understand how things work, so we don't look like idiots, and offend anyone.... I have 3 questions - 1) If we bought a Suica card in Osaka or Kyoto to use on the local trains to get around there, it is still good to use in Tokyo... I guess what I am asking one card does it all... for the local trains through out Japan? 2) So once we arrive on the Shinkansen at the Tokyo station, we can catch another train on JR line in the same station to the Museum or Imperial Palace stations, once we get to the destination, tour and decide to head over to the Skytree and Nakamise shopping street, how do we find the local train stations...are they like in NYC pretty much everywhere... Here's why I am nervous about all this train travel... One of the couples that went last year... just has gone on and on about how awful it is trying to get around, to find the local subway or metro stations or stops, and figure out if your going in the right directions... she told me... that apparently they got lost and boarded the wrong train and then got off and got back on another train which was going in the wrong direction... so 2 hours later they threw in the towel and got a uber that cost them 50.00 US to get back to the hotel...they used Uber or taxis for the rest of the trip for local travel, she said that using the JR lines were easier, and finding someone to help you was easier...3) the other couple that went last year said there is a app or website that you can use to get around... Do you have a suggestion for this?

DH and I have sorta started a collage of our travels with tall buildings/landmarks... Empire State building, Sky Bridge Grand Canyon, Eiffel Tower, and a few others... so we are hoping to add, Umeda Sky Building in Osaka and Skytree in Tokyo to the collage... We would really like to hit both of them if possible... As far as paying a bit more to be able to cut down on the wait time we would be okay with it... I haven't started even looking into the cost of entrance into the sights yet...

I can't tell you how much we appreciate your help and tips... Thank you :thanks:

I believe that Osaka uses a different IC card. Suica is issued by JR in Tokyo while Pasmo is issued by Tokyo Metro. They all work everywhere but you cannot return your card from Osaka for your deposit back in Tokyo. So make sure not to put too much extra money on the card because you would have to return to Osaka to get it back.

I use an app called "japan travel" on android. The GPS feature is a bit iffy so I just put the names of my locations in English and it returns the best public transit. I've never taken public transit in New York but for the places you are visiting in Tokyo, there will always be a subway station close by. That said, having two companies operating subway lines and express trains can make things more confusing. If you think the savings in stress and anxiety are worth the extra cost of Uber/taxis, by all means, take them. But if you plan to visit Tokyo again in the future, I think it's worth investing the effort to learn how public transit works.

When using Google maps for directions it will often tell you which platform to go to so you get on the right train. I use it often as well as hyperdia. When I first started riding trains in Japan I would open Google maps and watch my location to ensure I was going the right way. It gave me some peace of mind. Lol. Just make sure you have your mobile data squared away before you leave the airport, it's a must have to help navigate Japan!

When using Google maps for directions it will often tell you which platform to go to so you get on the right train. I use it often as well as hyperdia. When I first started riding trains in Japan I would open Google maps and watch my location to ensure I was going the right way. It gave me some peace of mind. Lol. Just make sure you have your mobile data squared away before you leave the airport, it's a must have to help navigate Japan!
We plan to use mostly google maps on our trip too.

I believe that Osaka uses a different IC card. Suica is issued by JR in Tokyo while Pasmo is issued by Tokyo Metro. They all work everywhere but you cannot return your card from Osaka for your deposit back in Tokyo. So make sure not to put too much extra money on the card because you would have to return to Osaka to get it back.

I use an app called "japan travel" on android. The GPS feature is a bit iffy so I just put the names of my locations in English and it returns the best public transit. I've never taken public transit in New York but for the places you are visiting in Tokyo, there will always be a subway station close by. That said, having two companies operating subway lines and express trains can make things more confusing. If you think the savings in stress and anxiety are worth the extra cost of Uber/taxis, by all means, take them. But if you plan to visit Tokyo again in the future, I think it's worth investing the effort to learn how public transit works.

Hi again... :flower1: :D

What is the deposit for the card? if it not much we would be okay with not getting it back.. I would like to use the trains, as you really get more of a feel of what it like living there, and the cost factor is nice as well....

Does anyone know what pass is used or called in Osaka? I looked quickly yesterday, and did not find anything...

I have an I-phone... anyone know of an app like "japan travel" that we can use for I-phone?

As well do we need to get a portable Wi-Fi for while we are visiting... another thing that one of the guys told DH we will need? he said that we can get one at the airport, with us going into one airport and out of another airport how will this work? My neighbor who is going in November of this year, said they have a hot spot with there phone carrier that they use, he just got back from the Philippines and it worked fine...and that's their plan for Japan in November?

We will probably return one day to Japan... but not for a while, we are on the mission to do all 6 of the park destinations... we have 3 down right now, WDW, DL and DLP - so after next year, our next big trip for the parks quest will be in 2022 and we will knock out one of the parks more than likely Shanghai and possibly Hong Kong...

As always :worship::worship::worship::thanks::thanks::thanks:

I think the card is called ICOCA and the deposit will be something like 500 yen. You'll also have to keep a minimum balance so expect 5 to 10 USD to be unrecoverable.

You'll want internet when traveling so either a SIM card or portable wi-fi. Wi-Fi is an extra thing to keep charged and carry but is good if you have multiple people who are sticking together all the time because it's easy to share. If you plan to split up, SIM cards will be better assuming your phones aren't locked in to carriers. I'm a bigger fan of SIM cards. I do not recommend relying on T-mobile roaming because the Tokyo Disney Resort app is super slow at the throttled speeds.

I think the card is called ICOCA and the deposit will be something like 500 yen. You'll also have to keep a minimum balance so expect 5 to 10 USD to be unrecoverable.

You'll want internet when traveling so either a SIM card or portable wi-fi. Wi-Fi is an extra thing to keep charged and carry but is good if you have multiple people who are sticking together all the time because it's easy to share. If you plan to split up, SIM cards will be better assuming your phones aren't locked in to carriers. I'm a bigger fan of SIM cards. I do not recommend relying on T-mobile roaming because the Tokyo Disney Resort app is super slow at the throttled speeds.

We will have the 2 phones, and the i-pad, and Dh's lap top, just in cases he needs its which we only use in the hotel room and on the plane ... - I am going to call our phone carrier and see about what it would cost for a portable Wi-Fi, and if we can add-on and cancel when ever we want to... We have Verizon, so we already have the international, daily plan on our phones, 10 bucks for 24 hours for the same plan we have here in the states... so that should work out fine... Just want to be able to connect... when we need to...

At DLP it was a nightmare to connect... we had stand in the window of our room to get a signal... or wait till we went down to the lobby or club room....

So about 5.00 buck for each card... What amount do you recommend putting on the card... say like for 1 day in Tokyo?

We plan to use mostly google maps on our trip too.

I contacted our friend and asked her for the site she used it was given to her by a co-worker - she had deleted it off of her phone... and will try to get it for me....she used whatever the site was called, and her DH would have Google maps up.. and they used a combo to get where they need to go... If she can find it, I will share with everyone...

She said that you can enter in the station your at, and where you want to go, and it will give you the train color which is important, number and platform, and times... one thing she said it that they are on time... and you need to be on time, or you will wait for the next one, she also told me that different colors mean different routes, and how many stops on each train... she said the most important is that you look at where the train ends, so that you know that you are going in the right direction...

Another tip is don't be on the local trains during rush hours or you will get smashed in a train... they had it happened to them once... she said it was crazy, thankful it was only 2 stops till they had to get off...then you have to do what she called "the penguin slide" without pushing and do it quickly... before the next stop tries to get on...

As well she told me that there is train etiquette that we should look up so that we don't look like idiots and offend anyone...

On a different note... I was wondering if you guys were moving here?

Last edited:
I contacted our friend and asked her for the site she used it was given to her by a co-worker - she had deleted it off of her phone... and will try to get it for me....she used whatever the site was called, and her DH would have Google maps up.. and they used a combo to get where they need to go... If she can find it, I will share with everyone...

She said that you can enter in the station your at, and where you want to go, and it will give you the train color which is important, number and platform, and times... one thing she said it that they are on time... and you need to be on time, or you will wait for the next one, she also told me that different colors mean different routes, and how many stops on each train... she said the most important is that you look at where the train ends, so that you know that you are going in the right direction...

Another tip is don't be on the local trains during rush hours or you will get smashed in a train... they had it happened to them once... she said it was crazy, thankful it was only 2 stops till they had to get off...then you have to do what she called "the penguin slide" without pushing and do it quickly... before the next stop tries to get on...

As well she told me that there is train etiquette that we should look up so that we don't look like idiots and offend anyone...

On a different note... I was wondering if you guys were moving here?
Moving to Florida? I think that’s what you’re asking. Dh didn’t get that job but he’s had tons of interviews in different places lately: Colorado, Virginia, Alabama, another in Florida but not Orlando.

Don't talk loudly on the trains and definitely try to avoid talking on the phones. During some times of the day, there are "women only" train cars so look out for signs. Also be aware of "first class" premium cars on some lines. If someone falls asleep on you on the train, try to avoid waking them up. Eating and drinking is allowed but hold a bag under your food so crumbs don't get everywhere and put the bag with trash away in your bag when you're done to throw away later.

In Tokyo, people stand on the left side of the escalator and walk on the right but it may be the opposite for other places you're going.

As for how much money you want to put. You'll probably need 200 yen per time you take the subway. Then add more if you plan to pay using your IC card in convenience stores or smaller restaurants. I personally think Japan has too many coins so I like to put more on my SUICA and pay for everything I can using it.

Don't talk loudly on the trains and definitely try to avoid talking on the phones. During some times of the day, there are "women only" train cars so look out for signs. Also be aware of "first class" premium cars on some lines. If someone falls asleep on you on the train, try to avoid waking them up. Eating and drinking is allowed but hold a bag under your food so crumbs don't get everywhere and put the bag with trash away in your bag when you're done to throw away later.

In Tokyo, people stand on the left side of the escalator and walk on the right but it may be the opposite for other places you're going.

As for how much money you want to put. You'll probably need 200 yen per time you take the subway. Then add more if you plan to pay using your IC card in convenience stores or smaller restaurants. I personally think Japan has too many coins so I like to put more on my SUICA and pay for everything I can using it.
Are you talking about if a random person falls asleep on you? Lol

Yeah. People in Japan are often overworked so it's possible you'd see people fall asleep in public. The first time a stranger's head hit my shoulder on the train, I didn't know if I should laugh or freak out. It can be awkward if it's an older guy falling asleep on a younger woman but most of the time, people just ignore it and ride the train like normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter