So Our First DL Trip Went Like This...

One thing I noticed, not being super used to DLR, is that if a FastPass line gets backed up, like yours did for RSR, it definitely seems a lot worse than it is when you get in it. I think it's because the rides aren't designed to have very much waiting space for FP returns. That line is never meant to be very long! This happened to us when we returned to GGR, the line was out the dock, past the store and up the road. I thought for sure we'd miss our opportunity for a dinner break before our next FP but once that line got moving (within minutes of getting in it), we were on the ride in 10. I had simply forgotten that there's really only about 5 minutes worth of line space for FP returns there. It's a pleasant surprise when it happens!

Also, just chiming in with more love for MP. My friend and I decided to go to Disneyland a few weeks before we did. If it had been the WDW system, we likely wouldn't have had FP for the rides we love most, at least nowhere near all of them, which thanks to the MP, we didn't miss a single one and got to go on a few multiple times. With a destination that can easily be enjoyed in one single day, it's great they have a plan in place that doesn't dock last minute guests.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! We’ve had multiple reports now of CM lack of enthusiasm this summer. Personally I think the relentless heat and humidity are to blame. Us Californians can totally handle a 90-100 degree day- with no humidity. Seriously! It’s just we do NOT do humid (unless it’s a foggy morning at a beach). This year had week after week of 100 degree days with humidity which was basically unheard of before, as a result I think CA CMs are at the end of their ropes and I’m beginning to suspect every last CM wants summer to end and never return!

I completely get the cramped thing. Having grown up with DL everything at WDW is giant! SO. MUCH. SPACE.

I’m one of the only ones but I far prefer WDW’s SM to ours. Which is super unfortunate because I have many more opportunities to ride CA’s SM, lol!

Too true-we were there that Friday as well-not super hot, but 93-95 with 60% humidity is terrible. The following Monday was just yuck, 4 hour break at room. Glad OP had a good trip.

The problem with DCA is that there's really only 1 "Tier 2" FP attraction (Goofy). Maybe GRR. So everyone would get to choose one of either GotG, RSR, IC, TSMM, or Soarin', and then be saddled with Goofy and GRR as their other two.
I should have mentioned, to make it work WDW had to add FP to the dumbest of rides. Like those little Boardwalk/Pier rides? Yeah, they’d have FP... I’m so very happy we don’t have that system out here!

Funny but the very things about DLR that you didn't like are the things I prefer about it. I like that I don't have to walk nearly as far or worse, take a bus to more attractions.
We sued to consider WDW the Mecca of Disney parks. It took us three trips to realize how good we have it at DLR.
Gosh, people sue Disney left & right for every little thing these days...:rotfl2:

I'm glad you enjoyed your DL experience. I'm a WDW vet, too, although nowadays it might be more accurate to say I'm a DL vet because I've been five times now in six years and LOVE IT. I haven't been to WDW since 2010 and the other day I went to their forum because my younger daughter is begging to go to WDW because she doesn't remember all our trips there. I'm being told that their FP+ system is far superior and you can get FPs alllll day long AND that good ones are still available the day of. They also say it's not fair for me to judge since I've not used it and they are right.

I would love it if you and other WDW vets who have recently tried DL would comment on the WDW forum and give your opinions on the comparison between the two FP programs, even without MaxPass (which I guess legitimately can't be compared to their FP+ program because you have to pay for it, but even DL's legacy FP is far superior to what WDW has in my untried opinion)! It would be very interesting and helpful to me and others, I'm sure, and be taken more seriously since you will have truly been able to compare both whereas I can't.

Wherever your next Disney trip is I hope it's great!

(by the way my thread isn't really about their systems or titled that way, it's about whether or not Slinky Dog Dash and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train are kid coasters or not, but it morphed...)

Just the music alone put a smile one my face. I now listen to it on the way to work to get pumped up for the day!

I purchased the DLR soundtrack a couple of years ago primarily to get the SM music!

I'm glad you enjoyed your DL experience. I'm a WDW vet, too, although nowadays it might be more accurate to say I'm a DL vet because I've been five times now in six years and LOVE IT. I haven't been to WDW since 2010 and the other day I went to their forum because my younger daughter is begging to go to WDW because she doesn't remember all our trips there. I'm being told that their FP+ system is far superior and you can get FPs alllll day long AND that good ones are still available the day of. They also say it's not fair for me to judge since I've not used it and they are right.

I would love it if you and other WDW vets who have recently tried DL would comment on the WDW forum and give your opinions on the comparison between the two FP programs, even without MaxPass (which I guess legitimately can't be compared to their FP+ program because you have to pay for it, but even DL's legacy FP is far superior to what WDW has in my untried opinion)! It would be very interesting and helpful to me and others, I'm sure, and be taken more seriously since you will have truly been able to compare both whereas I can't.

Wherever your next Disney trip is I hope it's great!

(by the way my thread isn't really about their systems or titled that way, it's about whether or not Slinky Dog Dash and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train are kid coasters or not, but it morphed...)

I loved the MB and FP+ at WDW, but I haven't tried MaxPass as of yet. I think I will like it, too, however. We didn't use FP much at DLR in the past, but if I don't have to run all over to collect them? Yeah, I'm in!

I loved the MB and FP+ at WDW, but I haven't tried MaxPass as of yet. I think I will like it, too, however. We didn't use FP much at DLR in the past, but if I don't have to run all over to collect them? Yeah, I'm in!

Max Pass is 100x better than Fast Pass. That conclusion is reached after using MP only once and using FP dozens of times. So much more flexibility and, for the most part, much more availability as well.

And you know the one thing I didn’t experience at DL that I thought I would - the smell of ‘pirate water’. All of the water rides didn’t have that signature musty chlorine smell.

And you know the one thing I didn’t experience at DL that I thought I would - the smell of ‘pirate water’. All of the water rides didn’t have that signature musty chlorine smell.

I didn't really notice this while on the rides but man, my clothes sure did smell by the end of the day after having been wet, then dry, then re-wet, then dried, etc.

I didn't really notice this while on the rides but man, my clothes sure did smell by the end of the day after having been wet, then dry, then re-wet, then dried, etc.
And this is one reason why I dislike water rides..you just smell so bad by the end of the day lol

DL seemed very cramped in new Orleans Square to me. Tomorrowland to an extent as well. Main Street just seemed cramped because of how small the walkways are. I actually prefer WDW's Space Mountain. More exciting. DL has better Pirates (obviously) and better Thunder. I think WDW's Buzz Lightyear is actually better. The guns don't work well at Disneyland. Where Disneyland buries the Magic Kingdom is Main Street and Fantasyland. No contest.

I'm with you on the CMs. What I remember about WDW CMs is that they often did magical things to make the day better and make your stay more magical. In DL, you can tell it's just a bunch of LA kids needing a job. Yes, they're happier than a Six Flags employee, but I thought the LEGOLAND employees were just as happy as DL CMs.....or maybe even better.

I'll agree on the MP vs FP+ discussion. As soon as WDW went to FP+, we never returned. I'm already anxious about having to plan what park I'm going to be in 6 months in advance so that I can get the ADRs I want. But now I have to pick a ride months in advance???? Doesn't seem all that magical. I like the DL version in that you can pay to use the app to make life easier or you can do it like you've always done it. Either way, you show up to the park and then decide where to go. Seems so much more laid back.

And like the OP, I miss the wide open spaces of WDW. At DL, you feel cramped all day long in every part of the park. And when Star Wars Land hits....I don't want to be near DL for at least a year. It'll be madness.

I want to see Galaxy's Edge SO bad, but I'll also give it close to a year or so to cool down a little after it opens before I'll return. Of course, I've seen several people say that, so we'll probably all go at the same time. :tongue:

This is the second post I've seen this summer from a WDW vet that is not impressed with DL CMs. I wonder if it has to do with the heat. I haven't been since May and that was a whole other mess with a disorganized event, but in general, there have always been a few great CMs. I'm curious to see if there's truly a quality issue or if it's just a difference between Florida and California mentality. California natives tend to be less talkative. It's part of the car culture we live in. Anyway, I'm just musing on my thoughts for a moment. It's the sociologist in me

Strange because I had always heard that DL cast members were much more congenial and generally happier than those at WDW. Is it still true that most DL employees are locals while WDW has a large part of their employment pool filled by the college program? It’s been said that DL cast members take much more pride in their work since it’s “their park” and the college kids that WDW are just temporary employees who aren’t as invested. I have had great cast member experiences at WDW many times. Granted, I’ve only been to DL once, but maybe I expected more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter