So Our First DL Trip Went Like This...

jhaig, I’m a fellow WDW vet about to do DL in 2 weeks- any tips you can share from a WDW vets perspective?

jhaig, I’m a fellow WDW vet about to do DL in 2 weeks- any tips you can share from a WDW vets perspective?

First of all, I’ve only been there once and I got a lot of my advice from the nice people on these boards. I used a lot of there advice to have a great day at Disneyland.

Here’s what I found:

1) Use Max Pass - It is well worth the extra 10 bucks a day and in my opinion it blows Disney World’s version of fast pass out of the water.

2) Get to Radiator Springs Racers first or make it the first MP you get - Absolutely worth the wait.

3) Skip these if you don’t have time because they’re essentially the same at WDW: Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Pooh, Little Mermaid, Soarin’, Toy Story Mania. If you have time then by all means, do them.

4) Ride Peter Pan, Alice and Mr Toad first since they have no Max Pass.

5) Be prepared for the smaller scale - not so much at DCA, but for WDW vets like us DL is downright uncomfortable size-wise. It is definitely still magical and has that Disney charm but tiny in comparison.

6) Don’t miss: RSR, Incredicoaster, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, or Small World.

7) Think of DL and DCA as one big park (at least if you use Park Hoppers, also well worth it). Acreage-wise both parks combined are about half the size of Epcot.

I’m sure I’ll think of more later

Last edited:
First of all, I’ve only been there once and I got a lot of my place from the nice people on these boards. I used a lot of there advice to have a great day at Disneyland.

Here’s what I found:

1) Use Max Pass - It is well worth the extra 10 bucks a day and in my opinion it blows Disney World’s version of fast pass out of the water.

2) Get to Radiator Springs Racers first or make it the first MP you get - Absolutely worth the wait.

3) Skip these if you don’t have time because they’re essentially the same at WDW: Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Pooh, Little Mermaid, Soarin’, Toy Story Mania. If you have time then by all means, do them.

4) Ride Peter Pan, Alice and Mr Toad first since they have no Max Pass.

5) Be prepared for the smaller scale - not so much at DCA, but for WDW vets like us DL is downright uncomfortable size-wise. It is definitely still magical and has that Disney charm but tiny in comparison.

6) Don’t miss: RSR, Incredicoaster, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, or Small World.

7) Think of DL and DCA as one big park (at least if you use Park Hoppers, also well worth it). Acreage-wise both parks combined are about half the size of Epcot.

I’m sure I’ll think of more later

You've given some great advice here, but I personally like Haunted Mansion much better at Disneyland.

First of all, I’ve only been there once and I got a lot of my advice from the nice people on these boards. I used a lot of there advice to have a great day at Disneyland...

3) Skip these if you don’t have time because they’re essentially the same at WDW: Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Pooh, Little Mermaid, Soarin’, Toy Story Mania. If you have time then by all means, do them...

FWIW, we just spent a day at DLR with two WDW vets who found HM and BTMRR to be two of the highlights of their day. If you are a fan of the Hatbox Ghost, then don't miss HM. For BTMRR, they said they loved the storyline more. YMMV, but you might want to give those two rides a try.

Thank you for sharing!

As a DL vet who just returned from WDW for the first time in 6 years, I love the different viewpoints. To me, AK is the second best park (of the 6) right after Disneyland. Its incredible!

Thank you for sharing!

As a DL vet who just returned from WDW for the first time in 6 years, I love the different viewpoints. To me, AK is the second best park (of the 6) right after Disneyland. Its incredible!

AK has lots of highlights, but watch out for heat stroke. All of that greenery traps the Florida heat and makes it the hottest of the 4 parks by far.

AK has lots of highlights, but watch out for heat stroke. All of that greenery traps the Florida heat and makes it the hottest of the 4 parks by far.

We thought it was just the day we visited, but you have opened my eyes!

Really? Epcot felt by far the hottest with all that concrete and zero shade. We were the most comfortable and were able to tour the longest at AK. We stayed hydrated though.

Oh my goodness...this makes so much sense. We've only been twice, but both times we felt like we had somehow goofed by going to AK on the hottest day of the trip. :faint:

Really? Epcot felt by far the hottest with all that concrete and zero shade. We were the most comfortable and were able to tour the longest at AK. We stayed hydrated though.

We felt the same way. EPCOT, while it's our favorite place at WDW to have dinner and walk around afterward, always seems like there's no relief from the heat. AK was always cooler with it's lush greenery and abundant shade.

We felt the same way. EPCOT, while it's our favorite place at WDW to have dinner and walk around afterward, always seems like there's no relief from the heat. AK was always cooler with it's lush greenery and abundant shade.

That is why we have only done WDW in December.

I'd have to disagree. Unless you simply aren't a Haunted Mansion fan, I think this is a must do regardless of time. If you even somewhat enjoy HM in FL, there are enough differences to make it a necessary stop at Disneyland.

Another one here who ageees the heat at Epcot is worse than AK. I was really looking forward to Epcot but got overheated and was miserable for much of our time there. So sad. I guess I have to go back now!

I'd have to disagree. Unless you simply aren't a Haunted Mansion fan, I think this is a must do regardless of time. If you even somewhat enjoy HM in FL, there are enough differences to make it a necessary stop at Disneyland.

I agree that it was nice to see the little differences, like the hatbox ghost and the way Madame Leota’s head floats around a little bit more. Guess it’s just personal preference. You can’t go wrong either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!