SO overwhelmed by the number of ships to choose from

momof2n2

DIS Veteran
Hello -
Contemplating RCI cruise next winter and am overwhelmed with the number of ships and/or what features are on each one.

Have cruised DCL, NCL, Princess and Carnival and have found comparison tools on their websites. I can't seem to find a similar tool on RCI. I have started my own spread sheet but I am afraid I am missing something??

We like a LOT of activities....

Does anyone know of a comparison sheet or tool?

THANK YOU!

Thank you so much.
This is what always brings me back to DISboards. I could not find that myself via searches. :flower3:

My pleasure. I had the same problem, coming for a Disney Cruise background. "Holy cow, Disney has 4 ships to choose from, this is easy!" to "Holy crap, Royal Caribbean has 26 ships, how on gods green earth will I decide?!?!?!"

I'm currently on Independence, which is a Freedom class. It's been very pleasant thus far. Quite a few activities, some at a cost, doesn't feel packed. I think I like Oasis class better, but this isn't a bad ship at all.

Yes, I'm working on my write up.

I would recommend freedom class or oasis class for you first. Lots of activities, pools, etc. we prefer freedom class when we want to see the ocean more and oasis class for all the activities. Have fun! We love royal.

We are taking our first cruise with Royal and the only deciding factor was the itinerary. We are doing a 12-day Mediterranean out of Barcelona. We are only one of their smaller ships (Vision) - so I am setting my expectations low for the activities on the ship.

With the Mediterranean I've always thought that the boat was secondary to the ports, whereas it's reversed for the Caribbean. So Vision class will probably work out just fine for you.

With the Mediterranean I've always thought that the boat was secondary to the ports, whereas it's reversed for the Caribbean. So Vision class will probably work out just fine for you.
That’s great to hear! If you have done the Mediterranean before I will take any advice or tips you have about excursions or the ship. Our ports are: Cannes, LaSpezia, Civitavecchia, Piraeus, Mykonos, Kusadasi, and Santorini.

A good travel agent would help you through this without your spending time researching.

I cant seem to find a good TA. Booked my last cruise through one, after researching 5 other TA's, and she mentioned a comped dinner and $50 OBC. Didn't see either. I dont care about the money aspect, I just wanted to have a feeling that they were looking out for my best interest. Asked her about a summer vacation to Hawaii or Europe next summer, and never heard back about 7 days later. Good TA's seem to be like unicorns.

On another note, sometimes researching is 1/2 the fun... Looking at the new Carnival ships makes me want to try them out. I think my kids would love the Mardi Gras. I wouldn't have learned about them without researching...

That’s great to hear! If you have done the Mediterranean before I will take any advice or tips you have about excursions or the ship. Our ports are: Cannes, LaSpezia, Civitavecchia, Piraeus, Mykonos, Kusadasi, and Santorini.

I did a very similar itinerary on the Rhapsody a few years ago and it is still my most favorite cruise. I reviewed each port except Mykonos, see my signature for link. My very favorite was Kusadasi! @starvenger is totally correct that the ship will be secondary to the ports. You will have a blast!

We are taking our first cruise with Royal and the only deciding factor was the itinerary. We are doing a 12-day Mediterranean out of Barcelona. We are only one of their smaller ships (Vision) - so I am setting my expectations low for the activities on the ship.

When are you going? I have a friend who will be on a 12 day on that ship in June.

I'm currently on Independence, which is a Freedom class

I have begun searches on cruises with these ships in the past. They seem like a good size (slightly smaller than Oasis) with a fair number of activities. They also have a lower price point.

A good travel agent would help you through this without your spending time researching.

As a family of 8 with a tight budget, I am usually doing a lot of comparing and contrasting and like to go to her with my exact specs. I will search and search for connecting rooms on different ships on different itineraries in different companies, etc.

I would recommend freedom class or oasis class for you first

I think you are right based on what I've seen. Does the Oasis class feel significantly bigger? Like too big at times?

I do like finding out information that perhaps goes beyond what a TA might provide. Forums such as the DIS and cc help provide me with that insight.

Yes. I like to know what I am getting in to (nickel and dime wise - upcharges, add-ons, etc, etc., etc.) before I take the plunge to book and involve our TA.

Usually we choose the cruise based on the itinerary. Are these ports you have visited before?

I admit that we almost don't care where the ship takes us. The fun is the ocean and the activities and the dining. As long as I can be on a beach (oh Belize - you poor rocky country) most of the port days I am good. I've been to Coz three times now...oy. (I only just found an excursion we liked this last time! - the sand is so coarse!)

researching is 1/2 the fun
I do agree.

We have cruised DCL x 2 (3-N an 4-N separated by 13 years), NCL Getaway, and Carnival Valor as a family. I have also done two Princess cruises with mom-friends. I haven't had a bad cruise yet. I do look and look because I have a tight budget. We are currently considering the third week of August vs the first full week of Jan 21 (like this week next year). Royal Caribbean and Carnival are both contenders, though I would do NCL again. I prefer set dining and NCL is a little tricky with that. Royal seems to have better entertainment. Carnival Vista looks like fun. We prefer Saturday-Saturday over Sunday-Sunday if we do January b/c DS19 has to go back to college on the second Monday of January. Carnival seems to have more Saturday departures and Royal has more Sunday...

I think you are right based on what I've seen. Does the Oasis class feel significantly bigger? Like too big at times?

nope! They actually do a great job of disbursing people. It takes a day to figure out best way to get end to end but easy to navigate.

I'd suggest looking for a ship that goes to Labadee or Coco Cay, since you like beaches :) Or perhaps both?

I've been on Freedom twice, my son was 7 & turned 8, we really enjoyed the ship but it didn't have water slides at the time and I think he would have enjoyed it more with those. We have yet to be on an Oasis class, but they do look like a lot of fun! I'd say it depends on how long of a cruise you are looking to do, and what your price point is. If you want a shorter trip, I've heard Mariner is nice (and it's out of Port Canaveral if you wanted to tack on some Disney). They actually have a couple that go to Coco Cay twice. Independence is supposed to be nice and does 4 and 5 night cruises. With the Oasis class I think having more sea days would be nice to get more time to explore the ship, but we are port people and like to get off and explore new places. There are many options there. Oasis just got updated and Allure is up soon I believe. Harmony and Symphony are newer (and the price shows that). I think Symphony does Sat to Sat cruises. Allure, Oasis and Harmony are Sun to Sun.

Or go with Carnival :) Magic, Breeze and Horizon are all nice ships that have plenty to do.

nope! They actually do a great job of disbursing people. It takes a day to figure out best way to get end to end but easy to navigate.
I would probably say that Oasis class feels big but it doesn't feel crowded, if that makes any sense.

When are you going? I have a friend who will be on a 12 day on that ship in June.
We are on the July 31 cruise.

I did a very similar itinerary on the Rhapsody a few years ago and it is still my most favorite cruise. I reviewed each port except Mykonos, see my signature for link. My very favorite was Kusadasi! @starvenger is totally correct that the ship will be secondary to the ports. You will have a blast!
I will look at your review - thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!