So, This Just Happened To A Friend Of Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastahomie

Registered
In case you can't tell from his profile pic, "Des" is African American. This happened today.

11rycth.png

Not sure whether to laugh or to cry.

Tupperware had you thinking oh goodness, this little old lady just didn't realize. Then she backhanded your friend after enjoying a piece. :eek: WTH!

Well damn, grandma. He should've clutched her pearls after that statement!

I have to tell you my mom, who's in her late 80's and one of the kindest people you'll ever meet, says stuff that just amazes me sometimes. She honestly doesn't have a racist bone in her body. We have a very ethnically diverse family and everyone is treated with the same love and respect. I don't really understand it. I have quietly corrected her and she feels horrible but it just doesn't stick.

I think because she is "old" that she didn't know any better. My dad used to occasionally say things that were racist, but he had no idea. I would cringe when he said those things. But like the oww, he didn't know any better.

In this situation, I'd say laugh. Better than crying.

Our first home purchase was from an old lady. Closing day she was there giving us some gossip about the neighborhood. Then out of the blue she says "I have a nice black fella if you need any work done to house."

Oh Lord...do I know about this politically correct/racist thing! My mom is bedridden and has nurses round the clock, 7 days a week. All of them (4) have been with her for over 6 years. They are well educated in the nursing field, are kind, have impeccable manners and are all black. (They asked us to refer to them as "black".) When friends visit my mom, she introduces these ladies as her "maid". After it happened the 2nd time, I interrupted mom in front of everyone and stated the lady was her NURSE, not her maid. Bless her soul, it's still happening after 6 1/2 years now. Mom also refers to the nurses as "colored girls". It nearly breaks my heart because I really love them and am constantly worried their feelings get hurt.

Our first home purchase was from an old lady. Closing day she was there giving us some gossip about the neighborhood. Then out of the blue she says "I have a nice black fella if you need any work done to house."

You're better than me. This deb does NOT hear that...stuff.

Oh Lord...do I know about this politically correct/racist thing! My mom is bedridden and has nurses round the clock, 7 days a week. All of them (4) have been with her for over 6 years. They are well educated in the nursing field, are kind, have impeccable manners and are all black. (They asked us to refer to them as "black".) When friends visit my mom, she introduces these ladies as her "maid". After it happened the 2nd time, I interrupted mom in front of everyone and stated the lady was her NURSE, not her maid. Bless her soul, it's still happening after 6 1/2 years now. Mom also refers to the nurses as "colored girls". It nearly breaks my heart because I really love them and am constantly worried their feelings get hurt.

Interesting. As a child my dad wouldn't let us around my granddad for a period of years until he changed his language. I'm not young. My folks didn't stand for such 30 years ago and god, definitely don't now.

Maybe I try to look for the good in people. Maybe she's not a fan of watermelon why does our mind always have to think the worst about people.

Maybe I try to look for the good in people. Maybe she's not a fan of watermelon why does our mind always have to think the worst about people.

I think because the remark is so darn stereotypical.

OP- I have no idea whether to laugh or cry either.

That generation is just different. I had a great aunt who would say racist things, but it was just how she was brought up and how they did/said things back then. She was not racist, she just didn't know any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter