So what do you eat the night before Thanksgiving?

Yes, I think it is just as much about what to do when one is already focusing on the big meal for the next day!
A pot of soup, pizza, sandwiches, something VERY easy!

I have done some hot home-made soups with hot yeast rolls or fresh hot cornbread for Christmas Eve.
We have, until recently, had our big Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day.

We don't really have a tradition. Our Wednesday tradition is after dinner -- making pies and cranberry sauce (and prepping other stuff) and listening to Christmas music

This Wednesday we are going to go see Justice League in the afternoon. Might go out to eat after, actually.

DD's coming home from college. Back in August, she asked for meatloaf, but I'm waiting to see if there's something else she might want. Hoping for potato soup!

It varies from year to year depending on who we're celebrating with. This year we are having people over for apps/snack dinner and wine. It'll be charcuterie trays, queso and chips, and whatever else I throw together. All coming are close friends/family so it really isn't about the food.

We may go out to see Wonder after we snack and visit for a while.

It’s not really a “thing” but for most people, myself included, if you’re going to have a big/huge meal and will be cooking most of the next day you want something simple, preferably something that doesn’t leave leftovers or mess up the kitchen.

We usually get a pizza.

I'm hosting 20 people for Christmas Eve dinner. Never thought about not having a regular dinner the night before. Sure there is some prep (turkey) for the next day but I for sure don't cook all day on a Turkey day. Tell everyone to bring sides! No one should be stuck doing it all.

I'm hosting 20 people for Christmas Eve dinner. Never thought about not having a regular dinner the night before. Sure there is some prep (turkey) for the next day but I for sure don't cook all day on a Turkey day. Tell everyone to bring sides! No one should be stuck doing it all.
We no longer host (another story for another thread) it’s just us. We have pared down the menu quite a bit over the years and DH and DD help but there’s still a lot of prep work and timing to be done. So technically not all day but enough work that I don’t want to be preparing a meal and cleaning the kitchen the day before.

We go a little Italian restaurant. Family flies in from all over on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and they all like to visit their favorite restaurants when in town!

Thanksgiving Eve is the biggest bar night of the year. So apps at the bar for happy hour.
Thanksgiving Eve is the biggest bar night of the year. So apps at the bar for happy hour.

Yes! I remember in my 20s that was THE night to be out!! It was definitely a night when college kids were home or friends who had moved away after college were back in town and we all went out. One year my cousin was too hung over to even eat Thanksgiving dinner the next day - that was really bad!
These years I'm home with DH and the kids. It will be just a regular night except the kids and I will probably bake some things for Thanksgiving.

It varies every year but is always something easy and quick like pizza or fast food.

I'm usually in the kitchen all day so the last thing I want to worry about is making another meal.

Whatever my dh feels like picking up. I’m usually to busy to deal with cooking an additional meal.

I do the vast majority of the cooking with prep help from the man but that's by choice and tradition.
One day the next generation will do all the cooking and I'll sit back like a proper guest.
Maybe the younguns will decide to change how it's done and that will be their right...uh as long as they don't expect me to lift a finger;).

Add us to the pizza crowd. We try to just order enough for the one meal so there aren’t any leftovers. I’m up to my elbows cooking today and when all the pre-turkey day cooking is done the last thing I want to do is cook dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter