• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So... What do you think???

dvcdudes

Mouseketeer
<FONT face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size=2> 
<P><FONT color=steelblue size=3><STRONG>I have all my plans laid out for our upcoming trip (our second as DVC members to our home resort) and I just wanted to run them by y'all to see what you think...</STRONG></FONT></P><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><BR>
<P><FONT color=#8a2be2><STRONG>We plan this to be a somewhat relaxing trip.  We will not be going to any of the 4 major parks.  Our days will be very flexible as we will do different things as the weather allows.  </STRONG></FONT></P><BR>
<P><FONT color=#8a2be2><STRONG>A little background:  We are a family of 4 ME, DW, DS(11), DS(8).  We have been to WDW 6 times in the past 8 years (most of the times going through the parks commando style). We purchased DVC Feb of 2000 (one of the best decisions we've made.  I love the fact that we know we will be going back and do not have to try and <EM>see everything</EM>).  We're staying at BWV. Arriving Aug 12 and staying 5 nights.  </STRONG></FONT></P><BR>
<OL><BR>
<LI><FONT color=firebrick><STRONG>When we arrive, we will relax by the pool until our room is ready, then head to the room and settle in.  We will probably have dinner at one of the BW restaurants and then do the BW at night.  We'll go over to the bridge to watch EPCOT fireworks and take in some of the entertainment and let the kids play some of the games at the booths.  Being our first night we will get to bed early so we can start our first full day early.</STRONG></FONT> <BR>
<LI><FONT color=#b22222><STRONG>We will have to do breakfast at Chef Mickeys as this is a family favorite and gets us right into the Disney mood.  We might spend the rest of this day resort hopping, exploring resorts we have not seen and we might take a dip in a pool or two at some of them.  Lunch and dinner will wind up being at whatever resort we happen to be at when the feeling strikes us.</STRONG></FONT> <BR>
<LI><FONT color=#b22222><STRONG>We will do Disney Quest on our 3rd 4th or 5th day, depending on the weather forecast.  Lunch will be at the Cheesecake Factory and dinner will be at one of the Downtown Disney restaurants.</STRONG></FONT> <BR>
<LI><FONT color=#b22222><STRONG>The best day forecasted will bring us to one of the water parks.  BB seems to be the favorite with the kids so far but we'll see.  This will be our first time to any of the water parks.  We will get there early and most likely leave early too.  Dinner will be a character dinner at one of the resorts.  I'm leaning toward 1900 Park Fare at GF.  We'll probably hang around the GF or MK area and try to get a spot to watch the fireworks and then the Electric Water Pageant (any suggestions on a good spot for this would be greatly appreciated).</STRONG></FONT> <BR>
<LI><FONT color=#b22222><STRONG>One day will have to be set aside for my DW's day of beauty.  We will drop her off at the GF spa and I will take the kids either to the GF pool or the beach or both (any other suggestions on what we might do during this time would also be very welcome).  Later that day we will head over to DD to do a little shopping and maybe even take in a movie (I know, why waste your time going to WDW to see a movie, but this is supposed to be a relaxing vacation).</STRONG></FONT> <BR>
<LI><FONT color=#b22222><STRONG>Our final day will definetly include the Spoodles breakfest buffet and maybe some pool time before shipping out.</STRONG></FONT></LI></OL><BR>
<P><FONT color=#8a2be2><STRONG>Any suggestions, comments, or reccomendations are more than welcome.  I appologize if this is a bit long and hope it don't get moved to another forum because I'm really interested in what other DVC members do on days they don't do the major parks and would like to hear their comments.</STRONG></FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in the early stages of DVC ownership...our first trip since buying is this November...and I've "only" been there 3 times in the last four years, so I'm still in the "gotta do the parks" mode. Actually, I think I always will be, although I expect I'll spend much less, and slower, time in the parks. Do the kids mind not doing the parks at all? I do like all the things you mentioned...I personally would just mix them up with park time. So, I'd like to see suggestions from other DVCers about non-park activities as well. :D

I think your plans sound wonderful!! However, with two boys 8 & 11, I would leave an open space for some possible park time - At that age our boys would never have gone to WDW and not done Space Mt or Splash Mt or Thunder Mt! If you can get away with it, great, but have some flex time just in case. Actually, we've been in DVC since '95, been going to WDW since '74 (honeymoon) and I still must get my Splash/Thunder ride in or it's just not vacation (and I'm 58, not 8/11!!). ;) Have a fabulous time and many Disney Days!

Well, I do understand the need to relax. I think it's good to hit the parks, (maybe people watch a little) go to the pool in the afternoon (or do a siesta) and then dinner and maybe the parks again. In all honesty, I couldn't imagine going to the World and not riding Space Mountain, Thunder Mtn., Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror...you get the picture, especially if I was 11 and 8. Plus, you're staying at BWV. The real relax time is at OKW which I can also add the disclaimer that it is my home resort. That boat ride from OKW to DD is the ultimate in relaxation.

The kids were'nt exactly thrilled that we aren't going to the major parks but they are very excited about the water park and Disney Quest. They also know we are going back around Easter of 2002 and again next summer and then for New Years 2002-2003, and so on and so on...
We'll probably mix in some parks and some down time on all of our future trips too.

dvcdudes

This sounds awesome!! We just came back from a "spur of the moment" trip the first weekend in June. It was gay weekend which is probably what detered us from going to the parks but we just lounged at the pool, shopped at DTD, went to DQ, hung around the BW and totally enjoyed ourselves!!!!!!!!

That was our first official trip as DVC members and maybe it was because we had another trip planned (we leave next Sat.) and because we have 41 more years and didn't feel compelled to "do it all" that trip.

For the first time since going to WDW (1985) I felt relaxed when I came home!!!!!

Enjoy

As far as the Electrical Water pageant, my favorite place to watch it is from the beach at the Polynesian. Also, on the day your wife is at the spa, you and your boys might enjoy renting water mice from one of the MK hotels. One thing my now grown sons always seem to go back to is the game room at Contemporary. Even though there are many good game rooms at the WDW hotels (there weren't that many long ago at WDW), the Contemporary is still their favorite. We were there two weeks ago, and on our first night, after dinner at Chef Mickey's, while I got on the monorail to go to Poly for EWP, they instead went to the Contemporary game room!

I like the idea to rent the water mice. are these the small power boats? We saw people riding them at the lake by the BW. How much are they. I checked the WDW web site but they had no info on them.

The water mice are great (yes they are the small power boats or glorified jet skis), my kids love them. I'm not sure about ages to ride alone. They are about $17 for each 1/2 hour (I think). We also like to rent pontoon boats. This would be a good option if your 11 isn't old enough to drive the water mice alone, while you're with the 8 yo. We love to do the boat rentals.

Try horseback riding at WL! It will also be very relaxing and exciting for you and your boys!!!

Last week at the Contemporary Marina, the water mice rented for $18.37/ half hour. Both your boys are too young to drive alone, minimum age is 12, I think. You and your wife could each take a son; it slows the little boat down considerably when there are two passengers, but they are still fun! The price is probably the same at the Yacht Club marina across from BWV. I think that is where you would rent them if you are staying at BW. Be sure to check out the new villas over at Wilderness Lodge too.

When are you planning on going back next summer? If before 8/12, consider an annual pass. You will get three trips out of them and the BW area becomes much bigger when you incorporate World Showcase!:rolleyes:

We went to DQ for the first time in June. We got there early when it opened (10AM, I think) and we were able to do a lot of things there. By the time we left at 12:30, it was getting crowded. If you can go early, you will be able to do more. We really enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean virtual ride (we did it twice and I would have liked to do it again). I get seasick, so I didn't like the Jungle Cruise virtual ride as much. I just closed by eyes when it got too busy for me. My husband liked the virtual roller coaster as well. The Aladdin ride/game really got me dizzy. I had to close my eyes for most of the game.

The one area is like Chuckie Cheese where you need to feed the machines quarters/tokens to get tickets to cash in for prizes.

Take your kids over to PO-FQ to try that pool; it's fun. And you can get great takeout pizza from the food court. They have boat rides over to DD from PO on a little bit bigger boat than the one from OKW. Also, Stormalong Bay at the YC/BC is great. You should be able to get into both of them.

We like Typhoon Lagoon better than BB because the wave pool is so much bigger. Plus you have the shark reef and not so much white to reflect the sun onto your poor defenseless body.

Play mini-golf also since you don't need a ticket to get in, only need to pay for the game. Plus, I think DVC members get a discount.

1900 Park Faire has a great buffet, only they have Pooh instead of the Villains now. I really enjoyed the Villains. I'm not crazy about Pooh. Spoodles for breakfast is wonderful. Yacht Club Galley has a nice dinner also. We also liked Boatwright's at PO-RS.

Your vacation plans sound wonderful to me! We were there in June for one week and designated one day for the parks. For us, DD (5) and my hubby we were happy to just relax and enjoy being together. One thing we did do however, was take a day trip to Vero Beach. We called the VB resort to make sure it was ok to "pool hop" and use the facilities. It was great fun and a change of pace. One thing we wanted to do but did not because our DD was too young to swim with the dolphins is Discovery Cove.

I'm sure that whatever you decide you will have a great trip!

Mary

We made a last minute trip over Memorial Day weekend and we planned to just relax, swim, and skip the parks since we would only be there 3 days. Well, we couldn't do it! We ended up buying annual passes since we are going back for 9 nights at the end of Dec./beg. of Jan.

maryisme, what a great idea!! A day trip to Vero Beach! What a great way to check it out...while we're already down there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter