So, what rides/shows would you say NO to 5 year olds even if they make the height requirements

My 4 year old was *just* tall enough for Space Mountain last trip. It was our first ride of the day. He seemed fine on it, but afterwards said it was scary and he wouldn't want to go on it again. Then he refused most rides for the rest of the day. It was weird though because he had gone on Thunder Mountain at our previous MK day, and Soarin at Epcot, and lots of other rides and absolutely loved all of them. So I wouldn't have expected him to not like Space Mountain.

That was also our last day of Disney so it could have been more that he was tired and overstimulated by that point in the trip.

All that being said, he was tall enough so I had no problem with him going on the ride and don't keep my kids from any rides unless they say they don't want to go on them.

None. My kid likes the thrill rides although he rode ToT at 4 and asked not to ride again. Two years later, he's still not interested.

I didn't let my oldest daughter ride dinosaur or Tower of Terror till she was about 9. My second daughter rode both at about 6-7. My youngest 7-son is a big scaredy cat. My husband was pushing to get him on Dinosaur last month. I know he would be scared same as my oldest was. So I fought hard against it.

My 2nd daughter has never been scared of any rides ever. My oldest was much more timid. And flat out would've hated Dinosaur and I knew it. My son- I pushed him onto 7D, Big Thunder and Everest when he was 5. I thought he would love them. Death grips on my arm. And real anger from him for not telling him Big Thunder was scary! By 6 he loves all of those. But last month he chose not to ride Everest and I had to push to get him on Splash. Husband hates that his son is a baby when it comes to rides. But what are you gonna do?

You know your kid.

No restrictions. My kids rode whatever they wanted to at that age and was tall enough for pretty much all of it.

If they meet the height requirements, they are perfectly safe. Most spinning rides like Dumbo have no restrictions and are even appropriate for babies.... no concern at all. We never said no to any ride. Our youngest was 44 inches by 4. The only ride I was not totally comfortable with was Space Mountain just because you can not touch them and it’s dark. I was afraid he would get really scared. Our trip when he was that age I simply did not include it in our conversation or plans. Older DS roads while we were doing something else. He did not remember the ride so no issue. Had he asked I would have allowed it. I have always strongly encouraged my boys to try rides.
Only backfired once with each boy....Haunted Mansion and TOT. Both survived and no therapy was needed. Relax! They will be fine!

None.

DD is five. When we go next week she can ride anything she can fit on that she wants to ride.

She has expressed excitement at being able to go on the Tower of Terror.

None. If they’re tall enough and want to ride, they ride. If they don’t like it, they just choose not to ride it again.

We took a different approach. At five, we stayed with younger kid stuff. At eight, there were new things to try. Then at 9, 12, and 14. I think this has kept Disney fresh for us each trip. There is so much to do- we never felt like we missed out on anything at all.

Maybe Dinosaur. My younger niece was around that age when she went on it. She was white when we got off. And that is a girl who went on Tower of Terror and loved it.

Debating a 6 year old on Everest. If he's not scared when he gets there it's fine by me

We also take a different approach than many others. Not only would I say we'd let a 5 year old do any ride they're tall enough for, we have pushed our kids to try pretty much every ride once they were tall enough. If they wind up not liking it, fine, but at least they can say they tried it.

We also take a different approach than many others. Not only would I say we'd let a 5 year old do any ride they're tall enough for, we have pushed our kids to try pretty much every ride once they were tall enough. If they wind up not liking it, fine, but at least they can say they tried it.

None - if my kids want to go and they’re tall enough, they can go. Last trip my older son was two and he went on Tower of Terror, Tough to be a Bug, and Dinosaur. My daughter was five and she went on everything she could, including Everest and Space Mountain. We are going again this summer and my older two will be 6 and 8, and I know they’ll go on everything. They can’t wait for Rockin Rollercoaster!

I do theatre and my kids have learned from an early age what is real and what is pretend. They are fully aware that everything at WDW is pretend. I think many kids are capable of this distinction if they are taught.

Tough to be a Bug and Dinosaur had both my kids in tears. Wasn’t planning on doing Tough to be a Bug based on reviews, but was talked into it against my better judgment. Dinosaur was terrifying. I don’t know how I missed that detail in ALL of my research.

We skipped Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror based on those first two responses. My kids love fast rides, but do not like to be scared or startled. They also love to spin (teacups!)

Tough to be a Bug and Dinosaur had both my kids in tears.

I'm an adult who loves thrill rides and these two get to me. I'm terrified of spiders and stinging insects so Tough to be a bug is out (and may want to think about that with kiddos too) and Dinosaur for some reason has always got to me.

As a child I was traumatized by Great Movie Ride because of the kidnapping/bad guys comandeering the ride situation. At 5, it took the rest of the day for my parents to get me on anything else and now over 20 years later I refused to ride it. I knew the difference in real and make believe but it was still too close for my five year old sensibilities.

My kids were very different at five years old, it totally depends on the kid. My son loved It's Tough to Be a Bug and my daughter was terrified. We always went with whatever the kids want to do, if they're tall enough, they could do it. If there was a ride they were hesitant about but we knew they'd like it, we'd push a little. Soarin' for example- my daughter was so scared and really didn't want to go, but once she rode it once, we rode it five more times throughout our trip and it ended up being her favorite.

My DS at 5 was afraid of HM and Dinosaur. I agree with a previous poster that I would also avoid Stitch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter