So What Won't I Kill

Annie&Hallie'sMom

<font color=deeppink>Things turn out best for peop
Any thoughts on small house plants that I would have a difficult time killing off?

I wish I had a green thumb! :(

I'm having good luck with my umbrella plant in my previous post :) (the one about what is it)

Other than that, I'm interested, too!

Cactus does well for me. Otherwise, plactic plants for me.

I need to get some house plants too. I want something big. I'm thinking about getting a ficus tree.

There is a plant with heart shaped leaves, and it vines. I have not killed it in years, no matter how badly I treat it.

It comes in plain green, green and white and mostly white. Seriously, it won't die. lol Thank goodness.

Three of the most fatal things that will kill house plants.

Not enough light
Too much water
Too little water.

If you avoid these no-no you can grow anything.

plants need a little TLC.

For indoor plants, I have a few things that I like:

Diffenbachia (I think I'm misspelling that). They are very good in indoor light, but they are toxic to animals and small children. For that reason alone, I won't keep one in the house (Figaro enjoys snacking on some of my plants...until he see's me go for the garden hose...I won't squirt him, but he's petrified of it).

Cactus - These are VERY hard to kill, require little water, and do very well indoors. Home Depot has some good grafted cactus that are very ornamental. They make excellent dish gardens.

Orchids - While Orchids do need light, Phaleonopsis (again, I'm sure I'm misspelling that) are very hardy indoors, with blooms that will last anywhere from a month to 6 months (I've got two inside right now in VERY low light that have been blooming solid for 3 months). They get watered once to twice a week. The trick with these is to make sure you don't let the roots sit in water. Root rot will kill them. They are also perennials and if you take care of them, they will bloom year after year.

Bromiliads - I've had awesome luck with bromiliad arrangements indoors. They just need their leaves misted once or twice a day. I rotate mine between inside and out (they are very happy in full to partial sun), but I can keep them inside for a few weeks at a time. I know they are readily available here in Florida (as they are considered a tropical plant), but I'm not sure about the rest of the country.

Peace Lillies - Again, they require very little light but they do need attention. Be careful not to overwater them, and make sure you have a good, quick draining soil to keep them in (I almost always repot anything I buy from a nursery, as I never like the quality of the potting medium they use).

Hope that helps.

Pete

Cactus do well and I enjoy spider plants...

Originally posted by Mamu
Three of the most fatal things that will kill house plants.

Not enough light
Too much water
Too little water.

If you avoid these no-no you can grow anything.

plants need a little TLC.

So in general...how much water should I use and how often?

When Jim and I moved into our new house, his sister gave us 2 huge plants that have big elephant leaves. Before Jim went back ot Balitmore the 1st time, he made me promise to water them. He didn't tell me how much. I gave them 1 pitcher of water every other day. When Jim got back, he said that was a little too much. He also put them on the back deck so they wil get light (plus they had these little bitty flying gnat things)

These plants re pretty sturdy thus far.

I'll sign on as your resident indoor houseplant person. My father owned a wholesale plant and flower business in Florida when he was alive, and he was always trying to get me to head to Chicago to sell plants on a street corner. One year, I finally did.

Here's some basic information about how much, how often:

1) Water plants thoroughly--until you can see water exiting the drains on each side of the plant pot, ensuring you've reached each side of the plant. Do not water again until you can place your index finger down 1-2" in the pot and feel it is dry.

2) Don't put houseplants in the direct line of heat or a/c.

3) Most plants like at least some light, with a few thriving in lower light rooms. A peace lilly is one that is particularly easy to grow and is relatively inexpensive for a lower light room.

If you're new at indoor plants, try and stay away from ficus trees and boston ferns. They are way too tempermental. A corn plant, a sweedish ivy, peace lilly, scheffelera (umbrella plant), diffenbachia (dumb cane), rubber tree, or mother-in-law tongue would be a good place to start. Home Depot carries a wide variety of 10" pots for under $8.00.

Fertilize once in the early fall as it starts to get cooler and once before spring. Keep dead leaves plucked off to keep your plant healthy and looking fresh.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter