So What's Coming to the New Pleasure Island?

KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

DIS Veteran
Supposedly higher-up managers at Disney World saw a presentation a few weeks ago about what's coming to the new Pleasure Island. Supposedly they left the meeting very impressed. Supposedly they're sworn to secrecy. Yet other than the officially announced Hanes t-shirt store, there has been nothing leaked.

Come on! Disboard members have more sources than Woodward & Bernstein. Yet I've seen nothing. There has to be some information floating around out there. What's coming to PI that's going to make all the hoopla worthwhile? I'm hoping for hippo feedings and zip lines!

BobK/Orlando
but live from Chicago

Supposedly higher-up managers at Disney World saw a presentation a few weeks ago about what's coming to the new Pleasure Island. Supposedly they left the meeting very impressed. Supposedly they're sworn to secrecy. Yet other than the officially announced Hanes t-shirt store, there has been nothing leaked.

Come on! Disboard members have more sources than Woodward & Bernstein. Yet I've seen nothing. There has to be some information floating around out there. What's coming to PI that's going to make all the hoopla worthwhile? I'm hoping for hippo feedings and zip lines!

BobK/Orlando

Oooh...a zip line top/from SSR might boost bookings there...

My source says they will be offering a v-neck addition to the t-shirt line...
I wish I could back that up with multiple sources, but for now that's unverified...

MG

Supposedly higher-up managers at Disney World saw a presentation a few weeks ago about what's coming to the new Pleasure Island. Supposedly they left the meeting very impressed.

Considering they apparently are not impressed by the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering that is the AdClub, I think thier opinion is somewhat suspect.

One interesting tidbit I picked up on...the new frozen Kungaloosh machine in the Club (frozen Kungalooshes are back BTW) will be going to the outside bar when the Club closes. So apparently outside drink sales will continue at the new "family-friendly" DTD.

One interesting tidbit I picked up on...the new frozen Kungaloosh machine in the Club (frozen Kungalooshes are back BTW) will be going to the outside bar when the Club closes. So apparently outside drink sales will continue at the new "family-friendly" DTD.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that makes perfect sense..:rolleyes: Let's close down the best club around, but let's leave the bar open outside. Get real Disney! Do they really think that we will go buy a drink at the bar when there is nothing else there for us? Besides, with Disney closing down the bus drop off point and the rest of the clubs, who is going to go there just to have a drink right now?

Besides, with Disney closing down the bus drop off point and the rest of the clubs, who is going to go there just to have a drink right now?

So does that mean they are opening the west side stop back up if they are closing the PI Stop?

So does that mean they are opening the west side stop back up if they are closing the PI Stop?

Yes, this is confirmed on another thread.

So apparently outside drink sales will continue at the new "family-friendly" DTD.

Yes, I have confirmed this. The woman who currently is the manager of Mannequins will manage the outside bars on PI. I believe 3 will remain open; the one near the hub, the one adjacent Comedy Warehouse and the "hut" outside AC.

Oooh...a zip line top/from SSR might boost bookings there...

Hey, not a bad idea. Or maybe a cable car operation!

BobK/Orlando

Oh goody, now I can get drunk whilst wearing my sweet personalized V neck tee and blow chunks from the tethered balloon ride:rolleyes: I can hardly wait. Seriously what is the deal with the tethered balloon ride--totallly lame-o!

My husband and I went on Friday night and it was HORRIBLE!! The cigarette and cigar smoke was horrific. We went to Mannequins and it was just horrific as well the music sucked because they kept mixing it with awful techno beat circa 1990 Webster Hall NYC. The crowd was VERY cougar like. There were three woman groping each other and dancing way to close to one another. we also went to Motion was not good at all. The played AWFUL hip hop by many people with the title LIL in front of there names. It's wasn't the PI that I recalled from my youth that i was dying to go back to. I can see why they are closing it. I understand that it's part of Disney but once you start letting ANYONE into a club like scene it is eventually going to go downhill.

Seriously what is the deal with the tethered balloon ride--totallly lame-o!

The same company that built the London Eye is building a giant ferris wheel with observation decks just off I-Drive. Need to put that out of business!

While I'm glad it means a few of my bartenders will continue to work, I stil can't get over the absurdity of TWO bars across from one another, surrounded by a surf shop and a bunch of empty buildings. It will be worse than Festival Bay.

My husband and I went on Friday night and it was HORRIBLE!! The cigarette and cigar smoke was horrific. We went to Mannequins and it was just horrific as well the music sucked because they kept mixing it with awful techno beat circa 1990 Webster Hall NYC. The crowd was VERY cougar like. There were three woman groping each other and dancing way to close to one another. we also went to Motion was not good at all. The played AWFUL hip hop by many people with the title LIL in front of there names. It's wasn't the PI that I recalled from my youth that i was dying to go back to. I can see why they are closing it. I understand that it's part of Disney but once you start letting ANYONE into a club like scene it is eventually going to go downhill.

So you saw three women dancing too close together(be glad you don't get me on a soapbox here) in the club everyone regards as the gay club, then you went to the top 40s club when you obviously don't like top 40s music, and then come out of it saying PI should close? Did you try 8-trax? did you try the AC or CW? Thank god you didn't go into BET, you would have REALLY been complaining.

PI has something for everyone. If you don't like techno or top 40s, I'm assuming you would at least enjoy 70s and 80s.

I DO like top 40. My husband always comments that I have the music taste of a High School Freshman. I'm very diverse in my music choices, my IPOD goes from Jay- Z to Kerli. We did go to 8 track I guess overall the crowd was just way to old to me. It looked like old people trying to regain there youth and very classless people ALSO I wasn't offended by the fact that the three woman were dancing together they were just not attractive and older like in their 40's. Gay or not that to me is way too old to be doing that. Also I think because I'm originally from NYC and live in Boston my expectations of clubbing or going out are a bit higher.

I DO like top 40. My husband always comments that I have the music taste of a High School Freshman. I'm very diverse in my music choices, my IPOD goes from Jay- Z to Kerli. We did go to 8 track I guess overall the crowd was just way to old to me. It looked like old people trying to regain there youth and very classless people ALSO I wasn't offended by the fact that the three woman were dancing together they were just not attractive and older like in their 40's. Gay or not that to me is way too old to be doing that. Also I think because I'm originally from NYC and live in Boston my expectations of clubbing or going out are a bit higher.

You're more offended by their age and their looks than the groping?

I agree with you that PI was going downhill and needs a revamp, but I just thought that was sort of interesting.

The AC is/was unique and I hope they bring that back in some form, somewhere. My own opinion is that they should rebuild AC at one of the resorts and make a dinner package- buy dinner at one of the resort restaurants and get a discount admission to the AC. Senior citizens get in for free-- j/k.

The cigarette and cigar smoke was horrific.
You must have been OUTSIDE because smoking is not allowed inside. I can't imagine where smoke is thick outside unless you were in a smoking lounge or inside the cigar bar. I've been to NYC clubs and they are full of smoke.

We went to Mannequins and it was just horrific as well the music sucked because they kept mixing it with awful techno beat circa 1990 Webster Hall NYC.
I have no clue what you're talking about. I was there Friday night and the DJ was playing current house, trance, dance and dance remixes. It is, after all, a techno club.

we also went to Motion was not good at all. The played AWFUL hip hop by many people with the title LIL in front of there names.
I have to agree with Zulemara. Motion plays Top 40 and it just so happens Top 40 right now is mostly hip hop. You must not go clubbing much anymore back home because that is what is being played nearly everywhere. I don't like it either but it's a reality. This is what is so upsetting about the closing of all the clubs at PI; there was actually a variety of music to choose from at PI.

It's wasn't the PI that I recalled from my youth that i was dying to go back to. I can see why they are closing it.
I'm not here to change you're opinion; you're entitled to your opinion. They say you "can't go home again" and I'm not sure what you're remembering from your youth. PI has changed with the walk-through traffic, the lack of outdoor stages, the closed stores, the closed restaurants, the lack of fireworks and so on. Most of us agree those things led to its demise. But I don't think the music led to its demise.

BobK/Orlando

You're more offended by their age and their looks than the groping?

I agree with you that PI was going downhill and needs a revamp, but I just thought that was sort of interesting.

The AC is/was unique and I hope they bring that back in some form, somewhere. My own opinion is that they should rebuild AC at one of the resorts and make a dinner package- buy dinner at one of the resort restaurants and get a discount admission to the AC. Senior citizens get in for free-- j/k.

I live in a city with the world record for most consecutive bars on one street and the world's largest six pack. Yet, the clubs that PI offered are the only escape from the beer drinking, country playing, smoke filled bars with a dance floor measuring a whole 10x10. At one time Mannequins was rated one of the best techno clubs in the country and the only reason that changed is because Disney let it change. I don't doubt that your bigger cities offer a different environment, but for people like me, Disney is the only clubbing I can ever dream about. Throw in the free transportation and I know I can be safe and still have a good time.

also FYI I wouldn't be surprised if the older women were European.

You must have been OUTSIDE because smoking is not allowed inside. I can't imagine where smoke is thick outside unless you were in a smoking lounge or inside the cigar bar. I've been to NYC clubs and they are full of smoke.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I was there Friday night and the DJ was playing current house, trance, dance and dance remixes. It is, after all, a techno club.

I have to agree with Zulemara. Motion plays Top 40 and it just so happens Top 40 right now is mostly hip hop. You must not go clubbing much anymore back home because that is what is being played nearly everywhere. I don't like it either but it's a reality. This is what is so upsetting about the closing of all the clubs at PI; there was actually a variety of music to choose from at PI.

I'm not here to change you're opinion; you're entitled to your opinion. They say you "can't go home again" and I'm not sure what you're remembering from your youth. PI has changed with the walk-through traffic, the lack of outdoor stages, the closed stores, the closed restaurants, the lack of fireworks and so on. Most of us agree those things led to its demise. But I don't think the music led to its demise.

BobK/Orlando

I dis notice the lack of outside entertainment and I remember there being a beach club like bar with a live band. They played Dishwalla, I was sooo happy!! i was also 13 or 14. At 28 I go out not often but as much as I can and when I do GOOD Hip Hop is played and GOOD House. Trust me I love the house I have a t shirt that says so!! HAHAAH I was outside in a cloud of smoke BTW and In NYC you can not smoke inside nor in Boston. I personally think the crowd lead to the demise. Just my opinion. And yes their age bothered me. When you're young you don't want to see someone your moms age grinding all up on two of her friends.

I have to laugh at being offended at the "old" people as I am having my 44th birthday at PI on Saturday - don't worry, I'll stick to the Adventurers Club where I probably won't offend anyone by just sitting in a chair (I hope)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter