Soarin backwards

What do you think?

• Total voters

Disney Dad 626

Earning My Ears
I really think Disney missed the mark with the most recent update of Soarin’. With the US having so many visually stimulating sites, I feel that “Soarin over America” would have been a much better choice. The current version is rather lackluster and makes me wish they had not updated the attraction at all.

I was torn between B and C but picked B.
I thought the original was just ok and it was not a must do for me.
The new one is an absolute must do at least 2 times per trip.
I love that you go to the "home park" at the end.
I do wish it was around America though. I feel like that would have been the next step from Cali to America vs the entire world.

But would "Soarin over America" go over in Shanghai, where they installed the most recent version of the ride? Or in Tokyo, which should open next year? Or would Disney have to create separate films, like "Soarin over China" or "Soarin over Japan" for those countries? It's not a coincidence that the last days of Soarin over California at Epcot and DL were right before the new Soarin opened at Shanghai and debuted at the other two parks simultaneously. It was an international version for a ride that went global.

Of course, Disney could have tailored the ride and film to the local culture and park (after all, it does change the final scene and the theming of the ride itself is not identical across all versions). But I've assumed that they decided to standardize the film (and corresponding ride motion sequence) across all the versions to make it easier - while using scenes easily recognizable around the world no matter where the ride is located.

Don't really care to see a Soarin' over America. New one is bad. The transitions are awful. California has so much variance in one place, that's what I found interesting. I'm not from there but have spent more than enough time there that none of it was a surprise, but I still liked it. The world one, which most things are just cgi and obviously fake, is horrible.

What I find funny about the anti CGI folks is that soooooo many movies are loaded with it and it seems like many of those people tend to like those movies lol.

The new one has made me motion sick, which never happened with the old one. I suspect it was the distortion on the screen that did it, but it certainly happened nonetheless. In my opinion, it is an embarrassment that Disney "upgraded" to this new movie and didn't even bother to fix the distortion once it became a known issue.

This version would be great if you could always sit center. Of course, we like to make fun of the film when sitting to the side. Very poor quality on the remake and not up to what I expect from Disney. Same with Mission Space green - updated version stinks.

I loved the update. I was in the centre. I'm really glad it's the whole world! Had some amazing take my breath away moments. I wouldn't be interested in a Soarin' over America

Try fly over America at mall of America in msp
I was going to say the same thing! After going on that at MoA I honestly can't look at Soarin' the same. It's basically the exact same thing, but I can do it a lot cheaper at MoA. We did both the Canada and America one at the mall and they were both decent. We went for Halloween so there was a witch added that flew with us lol.

I would have preferred a digital remaster of Soarin’ over California. Not sure if that would have worked. The new world version doesn’t thrill me.

And I don’t see why Soarin’ over America wouldn’t work inChina or other parts of the world. It’s like flying over the US without having to pay to fly to the US.

I would have preferred a digital remaster of Soarin’ over California. Not sure if that would have worked.
They DID that.
It ran (just fine) in the current Soarin' theaters for several weeks (months?) before the current version of the show premiered.

It (of course) still exists as a digital file and could be shown (along with the appropriate changes in the "programming" of the physical guest seating and "scents" to match that version of the show) at any time.

They DID that.
It ran (just fine) in the current Soarin' theaters for several weeks (months?) before the current version of the show premiered.

It (of course) still exists as a digital file and could be shown (along with the appropriate changes in the "programming" of the physical guest seating and "scents" to match that version of the show) at any time.

Thanks Robo! I wish they would offer sides like they do at Mission Space. Or random which one you get like The Great Movie Ride. That would be so cool!

Soarin’ of California was my favorite attraction at Disney. I rode it dozens of times and loved it every time. When I first heard about the update, my feeling was: with all the attractions needing work, updates or replacements all over the resort, why the heck are they change one of the most popular attractions that pretty much everyone loved as is? But I do like change and the “world” concept fits better in EPCOT.

But to me, Soarin’ was downgraded from its old version. And unfortunately, each time I ride it, I liked it less and less. There are several reasons why:

1) I know the old one had CGI as do just about every movie, but in this case, the CGI really stands out and just looks bad in alot places.

2) The bending is awful. I am not a film/tech guy, but the “leaning tower of Eiffel” is ridiculous. The old one did not do this or if it did, I never noticed it.

3) I am not sure why, but I do not get the sense of flying on this version. It feels a lot more like I am sitting in a theater and watching scenes in an iMax movie and the fact that it looks so CGI, not even a good iMax movie.

4) I do not like the transitions between scenes. It just doesn't flow from scene to scene like the old one did. Again it seems like we are just watching changing scenes in a movie. The “startling” transition gimmicks got old quick.

5) I do not relate to most of the scenes. I have been to many of the places in California and could almost picture myself flying over some of them on a hang glider. I did not get that feeling going over most of the world scenes.

6) The music was always one of my favorite parts of the old show. While they incorporated the old music nicely, in my opinion it does not have the same crescendo effect the old ride had.

7) After years and years of seeing the old Soarin’ many times, there was always applause as the ride ended and you backed up to your launch spot. That seems to rarely happen now and that alone tells you something.

I wish they would offer sides like they do at Mission Space. Or random which one you get like The Great Movie Ride. That would be so cool!
This is my hope. California becomes a "destination" choice like flying from a different gate at an airport.

But would "Soarin over America" go over in Shanghai, where they installed the most recent version of the ride? Or in Tokyo, which should open next year? Or would Disney have to create separate films, like "Soarin over China" or "Soarin over Japan" for those countries? It's not a coincidence that the last days of Soarin over California at Epcot and DL were right before the new Soarin opened at Shanghai and debuted at the other two parks simultaneously. It was an international version for a ride that went global.

Of course, Disney could have tailored the ride and film to the local culture and park (after all, it does change the final scene and the theming of the ride itself is not identical across all versions). But I've assumed that they decided to standardize the film (and corresponding ride motion sequence) across all the versions to make it easier - while using scenes easily recognizable around the world no matter where the ride is located.
Just have it be Soarin’ Over the country each park is in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter