Soarin / FOP/ Harry Potter rides

ThumpersWorld

Mouseketeer
I have a question on the Disney vs. Universal rides. Specifically, I suffer from motion sickness. We go to Disney regularly but are going to Universal for the first time this month. I want to experience Harry Potter but I also don't want to get sick. Can someone compare them to rides like Soarin and FOP at Disney? I don't have a problem with them and I'm trying to get an idea what I'd be ok with riding in Universal. Thanks!

I get motion sickness from rides that are the virtual reality type, like Soarin. I don’t have a big problem with Soarin and FOP gets me a little queasy (but after a soda and a few mins I’m fine afterwards.)
I found Harry Potter rides about the same as FOP. They were both totally worth the little bit of queasiness afterwards because they were fun and awesome!
However, I found that there were soooo many rides at Universal that were this model, and after a while I just had to stop going on them because after a day full of those types of rides I was feeling gross, so I would recommend doing HP first if possible.
Good luck!

I get motion sickness from rides that are the virtual reality type, like Soarin. I don’t have a big problem with Soarin and FOP gets me a little queasy (but after a soda and a few mins I’m fine afterwards.)
I found Harry Potter rides about the same as FOP. They were both totally worth the little bit of queasiness afterwards because they were fun and awesome!
However, I found that there were soooo many rides at Universal that were this model, and after a while I just had to stop going on them because after a day full of those types of rides I was feeling gross, so I would recommend doing HP first if possible.
Good luck!
Thank you for your feedback. I don't like the feeling and I get it quite often so I will try the HP rides and call it a day. The rest of my family pretty much rides everything else.

I get motion sickness too. I’ve been on the Hogwarts ride like four times and have only seen 10% of the ride because I have to close my eyes haha.

FoP I can keep my eyes open for longer, maybe 70% of the ride. And Soarin I’m completely fine.

I think the Hogwarts ride is the worst, but I’d still try it if I were you :-)

I will classify Forbidden Journey more intense than FOP, closer to the jerkiness of Dinosaur/Indiana Jones more than any other ride at WDW. Gringotts IMO is not bad at all.

I would ride Forbidden Journey once and call it a day if that's too rough for you. Both are amazing rides and must dos if you are a potter fan.

How are you on Star Tours? That one, to me, is the worst of the bunch. If you can do that, you can do them all at Universal.

How are you on Star Tours? That one, to me, is the worst of the bunch. If you can do that, you can do them all at Universal.
Oh, I don't even attempt Star Tours. I have to close my eyes on parts of FOP. I'm assuming I will on the HP as well. I'm hoping that as long as I close my eyes when needed I'll be ok.

I get motion sickness too. I’ve been on the Hogwarts ride like four times and have only seen 10% of the ride because I have to close my eyes haha.

FoP I can keep my eyes open for longer, maybe 70% of the ride. And Soarin I’m completely fine.

I think the Hogwarts ride is the worst, but I’d still try it if I were you :-)
It sounds like my level of motion sickness is the same as yours so this is great advice. Thank you.

Oh, I don't even attempt Star Tours. I have to close my eyes on parts of FOP. I'm assuming I will on the HP as well. I'm hoping that as long as I close my eyes when needed I'll be ok.

I can't do Star Tours at all. FOP was perfectly fine. You'll probably be perfectly fine on Gringott's but FJ will give you some issues. Just close your eyes at the screen parts but keep them open on all the parts without screens.

It sounds like my level of motion sickness is the same as yours so this is great advice. Thank you.

One thing to know is that you can still walk through the different rooms in Hogwarts even if you choose not to go on the ride. There is a separate “line” and you don’t have to stand in the ride line. Just tell a worker when you enter the castle, where the lockers are.

That said, it’s worth a try! For me, closing my eyes works.

I have ridden all of them several times now. Soarin' is nothing anymore. FOP is barely above Soarin' to me now. Forbidden Journey will still make me nauseous sometimes, and I don't get motion sickness. It's a pretty intense ride, but my absolute favorite one anywhere. If it will ruin your day if it makes you feel ill, then do it last. Gringott's is about like Dinosaur, but there's a little drop and a little spinning. Absolutely just close your eyes on anything that starts to bother you. However, both Forbidden Journey and Gringott's have real physical motion; whereas, Soarin' and FOP are pretty much really only simulated motion.

I can only do Star Tours with my eyes closed. Soarin and FOP I am fine on. At Universal, I tried Forbidden Journey once and felt terrible afterwards. Gringotts I rode multiple times and loved!

Are you there for two days? If so, I would ride Forbidden journey at the end of one day and ride Gringotts at the end of the 2nd day so it you get sick, at least you are at the end of your day. Both Fj and Gringotts are more intense than FOP......Fj is more intense than Gringotts but also a much better overall ride experience in my opinion.

Is your motion sickness from screen rides or the general motion of rides. If it's the screens you will probably be ok. There is a mix of physical sets and screens on both. Gringotts is pretty mild too so if you do fine on Soarin' and FoP you should be fine with Gringotts. Forbidden Journey is much more intense but at least half the ride is physical sets and not screens. I can handle it about once at a time myself but some of the video portions will make me a little queasy, but if I close my eyes for a moment I'm ok and pretty quickly to a new set where I do fine.
If you're ok with coasters and other stuff in general I'd maybe hold off on Hogwarts if possible until the end of your day just in case. There are plenty of other rides, dark rides, roller coasters, and shows to do throughout the parks that would be disappointing to miss out on them if you feel too sick after riding it. The biggest tip I'd give for you too is to skip the Simpsons. that seems to universally be the ride that will really upset people with motion sickness, and even many that don't usually.

Has anyone ever tried taking Dramamine? I also get a little motion sickness and I am going to try this my next go around. I absolutely love the rides so I deal with it, but after 3 in a row it gets tough.

Has anyone ever tried taking Dramamine? I also get a little motion sickness and I am going to try this my next go around. I absolutely love the rides so I deal with it, but after 3 in a row it gets tough.

My wife has motion sickness, anything that remotely spins and she is out for the count also just looking at her phone while in the car will get her sick to the point she is pretty much not doing anything for a long time. The last time we went to Universal last year she tried "Bonine" because even the non drowsy Dramamine made her tired to the point that she could fall asleep at any moment. She tried the Bonine and she could go on any ride and not have a problem at all. We tested it out on the Storm Force Accelatron me and the kids got it spinning real good and she walked off the ride with no issues, not queasy nauseous or anything. If she wouldn't have taken it she would have been out for the count before the ride was over. So my wife swears by that now and she can go on any ride she wants with zero issues. ****After reading my own post I forgot to put in the Bonine did not make her drowsy at all was up all day partying in the parks didn't even get a bit tired from it.

Last edited:

Make sure you experiment first with it at home to determine the right dosage for you that won't make you super drowsy at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter