Soarin over Cali

JasonMak2000

Mouseketeer
Has Soarin switched to the original 'over California' yet? If so, is it as good as you remembered? How is the film quality? I know at the end of its run at WDW, the film looked all scratched and had little artifacts visible at various points. I'd still ride it even if it was bad but just curious if it looks fresh now.

I'm so jealous. I wish I could experience it again. It was my favourite. I still like the new one, but my heart LOVES the Cali version.

Unpopular opinion: I like World more. I was really excited to see California come back as I have fond memories and was looking forward to watching it anywhere in the theater without the terrible bending. And the latter was true, I rode it in the center and the sides and the experience was good both ways.

That said, the picture looks noticeably grainy, the transitions between scenes are jarring (especially after the smoothness of World), and I felt a little motion sick after each ride when that's never affected me on World. World still suffers from the terrible angles and the bad CGI (looking at you, Taj), but overall I find it superior to California. It was nice to relieve the old experience, but it made me realize that my love for Soarin' over California was mostly nostalgia based.

That said, the picture looks noticeably grainy, the transitions between scenes are jarring (especially after the smoothness of World), and I felt a little motion sick after each ride
Soarin over California is one of my preferred rides, but I agree with this quote. It did look a little grainy to me. I loved the smells and the feel of flying (which I haven't had on World) and it was very sweet to have some nostalgia. I did feel a very slight bit of motion sickness which quickly passed, but my husband had a bout of motion sickness that lasted probably 20 minutes after the ride. We had grabbed FPs and got in the stand by line planning to ride it twice, but since it seemed to make my husband sick, I told him we wouldn't go again.

I'll be there Sunday with one or two of my daughters and will ride it again. It's very nostalgic and I still prefer it to World by a landslide (I don't even bother with riding World unless I am with someone who really wants to go on it), but it did seem like it was grainy or the technology was too old. You could tell it was a dated picture.

It looked great to me, I like the transitions better on World, but everything else on California.
Rode it twice.
I wish they would keep it.

I thought I just saw on FB a post that said it will be sticking around all summer now, but I can't remember what page posted it.

In the article above it takes you to a twitter feed that says the source is from a cast member newsletter/document.

I hope it is true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter