SoCal Trip Report - July 15 trip

This sounds like an amazing trip! Since I live in SoCal I was never very interested in this one but you make it sound awesome!

Thank you, thank you, thank you atlmgm for your review and thoughts. I just booked this trip for June 16-22, 2019 with my bride and two boys, our first ABD. We added on an extra night through ABD, so glad I did this after reading your review. I was so excited but after reading your post, I'M NOW SUPER EXCITED!

You will love this trip.

As a final note - the pics that guides took just became available - we had 755 pic for 8 families - we had over 60 just for myself and my son. At the end of the trip, the guides give you a code for the pics. But it takes about 10-14 days before they are available for download. We only had 23 on our adventure - so there will be more pics with more folks on the Adventure.

I really want to thank our guides - Andy and Natalia - for taking the pics and making this trip memorable.

Take care everyone!!! THIS IS A GREAT TRIP FOR EVERY DISNEY FAN. Any questions - let me know - thanks.

am looking forward to this trip next november. darn i was hoping to see the dream suite but sounds like that has been taken off the tour as well as the lounge at the carthay circle.

Closing - after the ABD, we staying 2 additional days using our DVC points. We stayed in a one bedroom and it was really nice. On Friday, after the farewell breakfast, we check out of our room, stored our bags with the bell man, and went into the parks to use our FP, do a few rides we didn't do, and snack around. On Saturday, we did not have park tickets so we explored the other hotels. We had a small lunch at Trader Sam's (was awesome - the menu options are great - really wish our Trader Sam's had these menu items). We had dinner at Napa Rose - was really good. After this, we felt we had done it all and are ready to go home. On Sunday, the driver met us at 7am and took us to the John Wayne Airport.

Conclusion - in my opinion, this is a must do trip. The guides and the fellow ABDers were great. This gave us a unique insight into Walt's footsteps. The ability to go to Henson Studio's, Disney Studio's, and Imagineering was inspiring. Being able to go to the front of the line with the guides in the park was special - we did get some interesting looks when we passed up the lines. I was really impressed with he guides and the ABD process - already thinking about the next trip.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
I am thinking about doing the shorter version but adding on a day's stay at the end of the trip. I am asuming the add on date has to be thru ABD in order for them to include the transfer to the airport? To rephrase, the trip is Thursday - Sunday if I wanted to extend my stay to a monday departure, would they still take me to the airport (since that is included in the package)? You mentioned that you used your DVC points, I assumed you booked those 2 extra days on your own via member services?

I did book the DVC room for the extra two days myself and my travel agent (Kevin at Dreams Unlimited) worked with ABD to get the transfer to the departure airport. One extra day is well worth it (if possible) to maximize the benefits of the park ticket. There is so much to do in each park (rides, shows, food) that the extra day was nice to just wonder around, especially since we are from FL and don't go to DL as often as we would like.

Best of luck - its a great trip.

I am thinking about doing the shorter version but adding on a day's stay at the end of the trip. I am asuming the add on date has to be thru ABD in order for them to include the transfer to the airport? To rephrase, the trip is Thursday - Sunday if I wanted to extend my stay to a monday departure, would they still take me to the airport (since that is included in the package)? You mentioned that you used your DVC points, I assumed you booked those 2 extra days on your own via member services?
We are booked on an October 2019 DL short escape. We were told by Kevin at Dreams Unlimited that ABD does not offer pre or post nights with the short escape. I guess you could check with ABD on whether they would include the airport transfer if you booked the post night yourself.

We are booked on an October 2019 DL short escape. We were told by Kevin at Dreams Unlimited that ABD does not offer pre or post nights with the short escape. I guess you could check with ABD on whether they would include the airport transfer if you booked the post night yourself.

Good advice. I need to call them with my questions on the single rate as well. I would definitely like to stay the extra day to make the trip over there worth while (I live in Central FL) and while I have been to Disneyland several times, it would still be worth it.

@atlmgm Thank you for your trip report! We're doing the same trip in October & we're catching the Halloween season! We're foodies like your son, so we hope we'll get to try the special treats being offered during our OOO time. We also worked with Kevin from DUT. He's wonderful! It seems they changed the first dinner at Disneyland & I was wondering what they substituted for the World of Color show on the last night. I booked dinner at Steakhouse 55 for the OOO on day 4 & Blue Bayou for lunch on day 5. I hope that will somehow fit into the schedule. I was really on the fence between Steakhouse 55 & Napa Rose (I've seen the DisUnplugged reviews on YouTube), but since I'm a steak person, I decided to go with S55. I did like your idea of saving the lunch voucher for a later date, but when do they expire?

I would LOVE to hear about your experience at Imagineering, but I'll wait to compare notes with you after my trip. I'm trying to keep some of the surprises a secret! Thanks again!! You did a great report!!

We had reserved seating for the CA parade in place of World of Color. It was an awesome parade and we had a great location near the Little Mermaid attraction.

The food voucher was good for the whole week.

I would agree with you and go to Steakhouse 55 - I miss it already.

One thought for you - one of the other trip reports indicated that ABD provided Halloween Party tickets when they were there in October. That may or may not impact your meal plans. And as Kevin likes to say, everything is subject to change. May want to ask the guides when you check in and check the party dates in advance of your trip.

I wish I could go again - have a great time and look forward to reading your trip report.

We had reserved seating for the CA parade in place of World of Color. It was an awesome parade and we had a great location near the Little Mermaid attraction.

The food voucher was good for the whole week.

I would agree with you and go to Steakhouse 55 - I miss it already.

One thought for you - one of the other trip reports indicated that ABD provided Halloween Party tickets when they were there in October. That may or may not impact your meal plans. And as Kevin likes to say, everything is subject to change. May want to ask the guides when you check in and check the party dates in advance of your trip.

I wish I could go again - have a great time and look forward to reading your trip report.

We do have Halloween Party tickets from ABD for Day 3 which doesn't conflict with any reservations I've made. I think we're going to really enjoy Steakhouse 55! Was the full menu offered to you at your breakfast on Day 6? My mom doesn't eat eggs, so I'm hoping the eggless offerings will be available for her. For all the other ABD breakfasts, they're all buffet style so the egg issue wasn't a concern until I saw the S55 breakfast.

fyi, i'm not good at trip reports, so I might just summarize my experience in a post. :rotfl:

We do have Halloween Party tickets from ABD for Day 3 which doesn't conflict with any reservations I've made. I think we're going to really enjoy Steakhouse 55! Was the full menu offered to you at your breakfast on Day 6? My mom doesn't eat eggs, so I'm hoping the eggless offerings will be available for her. For all the other ABD breakfasts, they're all buffet style so the egg issue wasn't a concern until I saw the S55 breakfast.

fyi, i'm not good at trip reports, so I might just summarize my experience in a post. :rotfl:

We were on the Aug 12 BSM, and the menu for the last morning breakfast at Steakhouse 55 was limited. I recall a choice of 3 entrees. So you might want to speak to the guides ahead of time if your mom will need an option that isn’t on the limited menu.

We were on the Aug 12 BSM, and the menu for the last morning breakfast at Steakhouse 55 was limited. I recall a choice of 3 entrees. So you might want to speak to the guides ahead of time if your mom will need an option that isn’t on the limited menu.

THANK YOU for the heads up!!! If worse comes to worse, maybe she can get a breakfast dish with the eggs on a separate plate. she won't eat anything if the eggs have touched it.

There were 4 options for breakfast at Steakhouse 55. We got to keep the menus too - the options were (1) an american breakfast, (2) eggs benedict, (3) classic french toast, and (4) sweet steel-cut oat porridge. The server also said they could make something other then the menu items if anyone had an allergy - but none in our group did so I do not know what the other options were.

We went back to Steakhouse 55 for breakfast on one of our extra days - the full menu has so many great items. If you are staying longer this is a great option and its really not that expensive. They also take the DVC discount if you are a DVC member as long as you have your card.

I would tell the ABD guides of any food issue when you meet them.

Hope this helps -

There were 4 options for breakfast at Steakhouse 55. We got to keep the menus too - the options were (1) an american breakfast, (2) eggs benedict, (3) classic french toast, and (4) sweet steel-cut oat porridge. The server also said they could make something other then the menu items if anyone had an allergy - but none in our group did so I do not know what the other options were.

We went back to Steakhouse 55 for breakfast on one of our extra days - the full menu has so many great items. If you are staying longer this is a great option and its really not that expensive. They also take the DVC discount if you are a DVC member as long as you have your card.

Hope this helps -
Bummer that they don't offer the chicken and waffles. That's my favorite item on the Steakhouse 55 breakfast menu!

Why speak to the guides ?? GO Direct to your Server or The Manager as you arrive for breakfast.

All they can do is say Yes or No .

JUST ASK

ABD asks in advance if any traveler has food allergies (or any other issues). The guides ask again when you first meet them in person. They need to know since they organize and coordinate all activities - especially the surprise activities. The guides serve as the official Disney representatives and are well trained in coordinating the needs of the guest. I agree - asking the server and/ manager when at a restaurant is a good idea too.

Hope this helps -

Thank you thank you! This is a huge help! I know that every ABD trip can be different so there's no guarantee our October trip will mirror yours, but having this info helps a lot on being prepared. This will be our second trip with ABD so I do understand about talking to the guides about food allergies/aversions. I did discuss a food allergy for another person in our group with a Vacationista which I will also cover with our guides when we first meet them on Day 1. I appreciate your input & replies to my questions.

You will love this trip.

As a final note - the pics that guides took just became available - we had 755 pic for 8 families - we had over 60 just for myself and my son. At the end of the trip, the guides give you a code for the pics. But it takes about 10-14 days before they are available for download. We only had 23 on our adventure - so there will be more pics with more folks on the Adventure.

I really want to thank our guides - Andy and Natalia - for taking the pics and making this trip memorable.

Take care everyone!!! THIS IS A GREAT TRIP FOR EVERY DISNEY FAN. Any questions - let me know - thanks.

My mom and I were on the same tour the week before yours so we had Andy as well (he mentioned he was staying for the next tour) and he was amazing!! Our other tour guide was Alyssa and together they made such a great team. The greatness of Disney's ABD tour guides can NOT be overstated, they really made everything so wonderful.

Backing up on pretty much everything you said in your trip report, I can completely agree that this is a great option for people thinking about their first ABD tour, it was definitely a trip I'll never forget!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter