Social Distancing in the lazy river?

Noah_t

Mouseketeer
I am curioius who thinks that Aulani will open up with the same social distancing requirments as the other DVC resorts that are re-opening on June 22? I am supposed to go in November but if i had to wear a mask aroud the resort and socially distance while floating around the lazy river i think I want to reschedule. Not that i really think anyone knows i just love talking about Aulani.

I am curioius who thinks that Aulani will open up with the same social distancing requirments as the other DVC resorts that are re-opening on June 22? I am supposed to go in November but if i had to wear a mask aroud the resort and socially distance while floating around the lazy river i think I want to reschedule. Not that i really think anyone knows i just love talking about Aulani.
We are going in November too! It will be our first time re-scheduled from last week. I would be ok with masks (not in the pool).....but interested in well as what the social distancing will be around the pool area as I hear that is the best part about Aulani! Unfortunately, I think we are a ways off from hearing any news due to the quarantine in place right now......

Nope, no way for my family. We simply won't go if masks are required or they enforce any kind of social distancing rules.

But as to whether or not Disney will try, that's a tougher call. I could see them requiring masks everywhere except in the pools and lazy river, spreading out the tables at the restaurants and bars, eliminating character meet & greets, and slashing seating at the luau. I think if they try to do anything more than ask people to respect social distancing in the pools, or if they close Aunty's Beach House, they are going to see a lot of backlash.

Maybe I have missed it, but is it confirmed the pools will reopen when the hotels reopen?
If there is one place I can imagine it will stay closed for longer it's the pools. There is hardly any control possible in a pool, and I think it's easier to get contiminated.

Maybe I have missed it, but is it confirmed the pools will reopen when the hotels reopen?
If there is one place I can imagine it will stay closed for longer it's the pools. There is hardly any control possible in a pool, and I think it's easier to get contiminated.
Someone in another thread mentioned that the CDC said pool chemicals would be enough to kill the virus. Universal is re-opening their waterpark, so it seems feasible.

As far as Aulani, I would think they'd have to limit hotel capacity in order to have any effective social distancing at the pools. Otherwise, they'll have some angry and bored guests. If they do go that route and you're lucky enough to have a reservation, it would probably be an enjoyable experience because the pools and pool deck are often otherwise crowded. I'd also like to see them require floats in the lazy river. Part of the reason it crowds so easily is from people just walking/swimming through it.

We moved our may aulani reservation to September. But I’m waiting to see what it actually looks like in early August before getting airline reservations. If Hawaii is still restricting movement of tourists from the mainland or there are tough restrictions in pools etc we may cancel within the 30 dvc window and go to DW if the pools and restaurants are open and reasonably comfortable. I don’t mind wearing a mask around the resort when walking but obviously that’s not possible in the lazy river which is our favorite thing to do. I would not even care if we had to stay at the resort the whole time as long as restaurants are open or I can go to the store for some food. We don’t leave anyway When we go to aulani so that’s not a hardship. But not staying in our room. That would be crazy.

Maybe they’ll invest in a few electric eels to release in the lazy river to curb all the swimmers and walkers!!! I’d be for that!! Then you get three tubes tied together and sit in the middle one—instant distance!! If I could do all that AND have an adult beverage as I floated, I swear I’d never get out.........

Just for fun, has anyone ever seen a list/count of all the creatures in the rock around the river?? I’m sure we didn’t see them all but gosh, there were SO many!! It was awesome. Best lazy river ever.

Current science says that transmission requires closer then 6 foot contact for a sustained period of time, perhaps as long as 30 minutes, with a symptomatic person.

I really don't think you will encounter that in a lazy river.

Island H2O Live! Is new WaterParkand open today .
interesting to read their Covid Instructions on homepage.
They describe the double treated process they use with water chlorination and UV light filtration.
This is located in Sunset Walk within walking distance of the new Margaritaville Orlando Resort With many restaurants and newest Target Store, etc.
They have the lazy river and many water slides plus WaterPark Dive In Movies on Friday nights.
Very close to Animal Kingdom for location reference.

The pools are opened up where I live in Colorado and taking reservations for 90 minutes at a time. I think its likely that when Aulani opens, they will operate at a reduced capacity like the parks and may have restrictions on how long you can spend at the pool, but I do think it will be open. I don't think they will have Auntie's beach house for a while.

The pools are opened up where I live in Colorado and taking reservations for 90 minutes at a time. I think its likely that when Aulani opens, they will operate at a reduced capacity like the parks and may have restrictions on how long you can spend at the pool, but I do think it will be open. I don't think they will have Auntie's beach house for a while.

I just was at HHI for 4 nights. They did have capacity limits at the pool but they were never reached. No one ever said anything about a time limit. Masks were not required anywhere on the pool deck.

I know this may be crazy, as most folks are thinking about cancelling, but we are actually (strongly) considering booking Aulani for either the first or second week of December. We haven’t been, but love DCL and Disney World. We actually have a WDW reservation booked for this time, but are less and less sure about being in the theme parks this year. Anyway, we live in SW Ontario and normally flights to Hawaii are super expensive. Well we can currently book flights for a fraction of reg price from Toronto to Honolulu. Appx $1100 usd for my party of 3. The airline is allowing no fee cancellations or chances if we book by July. There is also a 35% room discount deal going on for Aulani. I’m trying to decide by reading all your posts :)
sorry for highjacking ;)
What I do want to say on this thread topic though, I think that it will be “easiest” to potentially social distance at a resort. While I hope by end of 2020 restrictions will be relaxed... but nothing will surprise me anymore.

We are booked the first week in october, and i am not confident at all we will actually get there. We had return flights booked, but were waiting for the other leg because we were originally going to stay in disneyland for a few days prior. My flight time changed for that flight and i had a pocket of opportunity to get a refund, so i took it.
Im booked through davids, so we will see what happens, but esp with cruising being extended, i am just not banking on getting there.

We are booked the first week in october, and i am not confident at all we will actually get there. We had return flights booked, but were waiting for the other leg because we were originally going to stay in disneyland for a few days prior. My flight time changed for that flight and i had a pocket of opportunity to get a refund, so i took it.
Im booked through davids, so we will see what happens, but esp with cruising being extended, i am just not banking on getting there.
I’m not counting on it either, but really tempted to book because of the price on airfare right now.... we may never be able to fly there at these prices again. However I know chances of actually going are probably 50/50 even for December

Chlorine to the degree used in pools is a safe factor and kills the virus.

The close quarters in the slide lines is an issue but I suppose it can be addressed w markings.

As conservative as I am about being careful, I actually feel comfortable with pools if in-your-face close quarters can be reduced.

Current science says that transmission requires closer then 6 foot contact for a sustained period of time, perhaps as long as 30 minutes, with a symptomatic person.

This is interesting. Do you have a source by chance? Different from SARS and H1N1, this one has been postulated as most transmissible from just before symptom onset to1-2 days after and with a long 5-12 avg latency.

(I am a physician and treat and see a lot of Covid-19. )

Chlorine to the degree used in pools is a safe factor and kills the virus.

The close quarters in the slide lines is an issue but I suppose it can be addressed w markings.

As conservative as I am about being careful, I actually feel comfortable with pools if in-your-face close quarters can be reduced.

This is interesting. Do you have a source by chance? Different from SARS and H1N1, this one has been postulated as most transmissible from just before symptom onset to1-2 days after and with a long 5-12 avg latency.

(I am a physician and treat and see a lot of Covid-19. )

https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1279750/retrieve
The section starting on page 1 titled Transmission of Covid-19

Yes we are supposed to go in November. I can deal with the restrictions even if they wanted people to wear masks while moving around the resort. What will be a deal killer is if Canada still has the mandatory two week quarantine in place.

https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1279750/retrieve
The section starting on page 1 titled Transmission of Covid-19

Actually, that link (same section) includes the information that transmission is also possible from asymptomatic people (see quotes below). While transmissions appears to be mainly from symptomatic people, it doesn't appear that it is only from them.

"There is also the possibility of transmission from people who are infected and shedding virus but have not yet developed symptoms; this is called pre-symptomatic transmission."

Some people infected with the COVID-19 virus do not ever develop any symptoms, although they can shed virus which may then be transmitted to others.

I
Yes we are supposed to go in November. I can deal with the restrictions even if they wanted people to wear masks while moving around the resort. What will be a deal killer is if Canada still has the mandatory two week quarantine in place.
It would if either Hawaii or Canada does.
I can’t see that be the case in Canada once borders reopen. It is right now as the border is closed to non essential travel.
If you asked me in March if November would be safe to travel I would have said absolutely. Right now it’s 50/50 for me, but certainly better chance than this summer.
We are strongly considering end of November, early December. If we book flights by the end of June we can supposedly change or cancel with no fees...and the deal is amazing. Probably the lowest we will ever see for Hawaii.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter