Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it today and really liked it - just an enjoyable movie and enough nods to the “Star Wars universe” to be fun

Not sure if I totally bought in to him as Han Solo - or I guess, as Harrison Ford - but I thought he was really good just not *my* Han Solo

My theater was packed and tons of applause at various parts. The guy next to me was practically hyperventilating during that one reveal towards the end

Overall definitely recommend

so one clarification question (in the spoilers tag)

So based on the timeline of this movie, if you only saw the movies and haven't read any books you wouldn't know that Darth Maul wasn't still cut in half, right?

Or watched the clone wars

Right, this was mostly covered in the clone wars TV show. A summary of events for anyone who wants to know.

Count Dooku wants a new assassin to replace Asaj Ventress and is told to approach Nightsisters on the planet Dathomir. This is the planet both Ventress and Maul were from. The Night Sisters are witches led by Mother Talzin. They force the Zabrak (race of Darth Maul) population to compete to become a great warrior. They end up choosing Maul's brother, who became Savage Oppress. Eventually he becomes too difficult for Dooku to control and leaves. He goes on a quest to find this connection he feels. He finds that his brother Maul had been taken to a junk planet and somehow his torso had been given a spider-like droid body. Maul had lost his mind and become like an animal. Talzin is able to restore his mind and gives him new bi-pedal legs that weren't quite human-like (a little larger, with claw feet), He and Savage hatch a plan to start a crime syndicate of their own, however Maul is obsessed with getting revenge on Obi-wan Kenobi. Anyway, they eventually end up on Mandalore leading the Death Watch splinter group, with Maul weilding the Dark Saber (the one Sabine has during part of Rebels - it is the light saber of the first Mandalorian Jedi and has a black blade). Maul had upgraded his legs by this point to more human-like ones. Anyway, Maul becomes the ruler of Mandalor after fighting Pre Vizsla (leader of Death Watch) for command. This empire was short lived as the Chancellor hears of the events. He shows up on Mandalore in his full Sith gear. Uh-oh! Darth Sidious lays down the law, kills Savage, and trashes Maul too. He lets Maul live and cryptically hints at plans for him. That's all we see in the Clone Wars, though an unproduced set of episodes had him returning to Dathomir (which Dooku had General Grevious scourge and destroy the Night Sisters as revenge). Dathomir is the planet Maul tells Qi'ra to meet him on in Solo.

So, Maul must have continued his criminal enterprise as Crimson Dawn. We don't really know what else happens around this era. Eventually Maul would show up in Rebels, trying to convert Ezra into his apprentice. He eventually finally tracks down Kenobi on Tatooine, goes to kill him, and the fight is over quickly as Obi-Wan takes him out, for real this time!

One thing I really liked about Solo is that it felt like a series of extra-long episodes of Clone Wars or Rebels. All the hints and references really made me smile. I loved it!

Last edited:
Solo broke the record for Thursday night previews for Memorial Day weekend by taking in $14.1 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4401&p=.htm

The previous record holder was Pirates of the Caribbean: The World’s End which took a cumulative total of $963.4 million at the box office.

So it could still break a billion. I guess we’ll have to see what it does.

I wonder what they’re going to do after Episode 9. I wonder if they’ll take an MCU approach or continue with the anthologies.

I thought it was really good! ...and my wife is convinced that we have now met Rey's mother in one of the main characters in 'Solo' - and her theory is plausible...

Last edited:
I thought it was really good! ...and my wife is convinced that we have now met Rey's mother in one of the main characters in 'Solo' - and her theory is plausible...

I’ve seen others putting out that theory as well. And they also added “and no one has ever been disappointed by reality after coming up with their own theories for Star Wars” ;)

Just got back from seeing this. I loved the movie! I thought it felt like a "real" Star Wars movie, even without any of the Force in it. The tone was there, and enough little nods to past movies and shows. I am surprised that the theater was not even half full. I didn't care for Rogue One honestly, and this movie restored my hope that the spin-offs could be enjoyable.

I'm sure I can guess the character you have in mind, and that isn't possible. She would be far too old to be Rey's mother. Anyways, we already have the answer that Rey's parents were just some seriously awful people on Jakku. It boggles my mind that people cannot accept what was already stated in TLJ. :rolleyes: Not every character has to be connected to someone "special" - another character we know. One of the most important messages from TLJ is that you don't have to come from a special, famous family or a great home life - anyone can be a hero. Rey is a perfect example of this, but so is Rose and even the Broom Boy from the end of the movie.

I'm sure I can guess the character you have in mind, and that isn't possible. She would be far too old to be Rey's mother. Anyways, we already have the answer that Rey's parents were just some seriously awful people on Jakku. It boggles my mind that people cannot accept what was already stated in TLJ. :rolleyes: Not every character has to be connected to someone "special" - another character we know. One of the most important messages from TLJ is that you don't have to come from a special, famous family or a great home life - anyone can be a hero. Rey is a perfect example of this, but so is Rose and even the Broom Boy from the end of the movie.

Uhhh - yeah it is. If she was ~25 at the end of 'Solo,' then she would be 35-40 or so by the end of ROTJ - and my wife and I had a child in our 40s. No problem...

I don't care if Ki'ra (sp?) is Rey's mama or not; I was just making conversation. To your point: if Rey is indeed no-one "special," then the storytelling is even sloppier than it seems. It would be absolutely impossible for her to do the things she has done unless she is from the Skywalker bloodline. I just keep looking for a way to make the story make sense...but maybe Kathleen Kennedy has just dropped the ball that big.

Uhhh - yeah it is. If she was ~25 at the end of 'Solo,' then she would be 35-40 or so by the end of ROTJ - and my wife and I had a child in our 40s. No problem...

I don't care if Ki'ra (sp?) is Rey's mama or not; I was just making conversation. To your point: if Rey is indeed no-one "special," then the storytelling is even sloppier than it seems. It would be absolutely impossible for her to do the things she has done unless she is from the Skywalker bloodline. I just keep looking for a way to make the story make sense...but maybe Kathleen Kennedy has just dropped the ball that big.

I was thinking the same but didn’t Anakin come from similar bloodlines.

Saw it, liked it, theater was only 1/4 full. I'd see a Lando movie. Glover was great. Plot was ok. I liked Rogue One better but I was entertained and didn't feel like they did a disservice to Solo or Ford. Probably will watch it again on Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts