Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry about that but Darth Maul, could not remember that name, but my DS was really annoyed seeing him appear.

Well, as has been metioned it was reveeled that Darth Maul survived in The Clone Wars anmated series, which is considered Star Wars canon (and is also really good). I was very surprised that they used him in the movie, but I loved it.

I went to the movie yesterday. I thought it was pretty good, and probably my favorite of the new movies, even though I originally didn't think it should be made. I could have really done without Darth Maul and the obvious setup for a sequel. And really, Darth Maul showing off the light saber, what was the point of that besides to sell more double sided light saber toys?

Space Balls was right. Merchandising is where the real money is made. Sure, Solo may lose $50 million at the box office, but Star Wars will still sell $800 million plus in merchandise this year.

Hot Topic has a licensed Han Solo jacket for like $80 and the new movie edition light saber will easily be $200 or more. Best Buy will have the special edition steelbook 4k and Target will sell a ton of shirts.

Star Wars has always been about selling merchandise, it's what made George Lucas a billionaire.

Space Balls was right. Merchandising is where the real money is made. Sure, Solo may lose $50 million at the box office, but Star Wars will still sell $800 million plus in merchandise this year.

Hot Topic has a licensed Han Solo jacket for like $80 and the new movie edition light saber will easily be $200 or more. Best Buy will have the special edition steelbook 4k and Target will sell a ton of shirts.

Star Wars has always been about selling merchandise, it's what made George Lucas a billionaire.

The thing is, that's not really how it works. Yes, Disney will make money in the long run, but certain expectations needed to be met by the theatrical box-office take in order to qualify the movie as a success. All of the producers need to get paid with their cut. There are so many moving parts, and things like merchandising are in silos. At any rate, even the movie eventually makes it into the black, Disney can't be happy with the take.

The thing is, that's not really how it works. Yes, Disney will make money in the long run, but certain expectations needed to be met by the theatrical box-office take in order to qualify the movie as a success. All of the producers need to get paid with their cut. There are so many moving parts, and things like merchandising are in silos. At any rate, even the movie eventually makes it into the black, Disney can't be happy with the take.

True. I was responding to the "what was the point of that (Maul scene) besides to sell more double sided light saber toys" thing.

True. I was responding to the "what was the point of that (Maul scene) besides to sell more double sided light saber toys" thing.

Oh, well, yeah, though I don't think they had him light the saber specifically for that reason. I think he did it to be intimidating. In the SW universe you just don't see those things around that often, especially when you run in the circles Solo's crew does. They are a big deal and make a frightening sound. He was just posturing.

Oh, well, yeah, though I don't think they had him light the saber specifically for that reason. I think he did it to be intimidating. In the SW universe you just don't see those things around that often, especially when you run in the circles Solo's crew does. They are a big deal and make a frightening sound. He was just posturing.

yeah, especially Sith (though, guess he technically is no longer a Sith) with their red blades (which you have to kill to create) seem to use them to intimidate

I think also a quick reminder to the audience and that he still has it despite all he's gone through, etc. ... probably not truly needed but I didn't have that big of an issue with it

yeah, especially Sith (though, guess he technically is no longer a Sith) with their red blades (which you have to kill to create) seem to use them to intimidate

I think also a quick reminder to the audience and that he still has it despite all he's gone through, etc. ... probably not truly needed but I didn't have that big of an issue with it

Hey, it works for Jedi too. I love the reaction of the Cantina in A New Hope, when Obi-Wan lights up a light saber and slices a dude's arm off. At this point one would hardly ever see actual light sabers in use. Everyone is just kind of like "Holy...!" And then they say nothing. The thing about light sabers is pretty much everyone who has one knows how to use it!

Hey, it works for Jedi too. I love the reaction of the Cantina in A New Hope, when Obi-Wan lights up a light saber and slices a dude's arm off. At this point one would hardly ever see actual light sabers in use. Everyone is just kind of like "Holy...!" And then they say nothing. The thing about light sabers is pretty much everyone who has one knows how to use it!

and in the case of Rey or Finn in TFA, even people that have never used one before ;)

and in the case of Rey or Finn in TFA, even people that have never used one before ;)
Hey now don’t be trying to point out plot holes. Early on Rey was proven to be adept at using her fighting stick. A lightsaber shouldn’t be too much different. And Finn, well he was trained in the use of a mop and so he’s used to long sticks too, I guess.

Hey now don’t be trying to point out plot holes. Early on Rey was proven to be adept at using her fighting stick. A lightsaber shouldn’t be too much different. And Finn, well he was trained in the use of a mop and so he’s used to long sticks too, I guess.

haha, now worries - plus I did use the winky emoticon

Actually one of the funniest bits I think is when Obi Wan first hands Luke Anikan's Lightsaber at th ebeginning of A New Hope and doesn't really explain anything about it, give any tips or anything and Luke just sort of lights it up and waves it around and stuff like it's not an instrument of death

haha, now worries - plus I did use the winky emoticon

Actually one of the funniest bits I think is when Obi Wan first hands Luke Anikan's Lightsaber at th ebeginning of A New Hope and doesn't really explain anything about it, give any tips or anything and Luke just sort of lights it up and waves it around and stuff like it's not an instrument of death

Or how about when Rey is handing Luke the light saber at the end of TFA, she points the business end right at him. I guess she was never taught how to hand someone a pair of scissors!

Hey now don’t be trying to point out plot holes. Early on Rey was proven to be adept at using her fighting stick. A lightsaber shouldn’t be too much different.

Still mad she didn't get a Darth Maul Double Sided Saber for that exact reason.

Luke recognizes this strength during training, and says "I have something for you".

Of course Rian would have had to "build" on something from Part One-in Part Two so....

Last edited:
Not that Star Wars coexists with any form of logical reality, but there is pretty much zero cross over between fighting with a bludgeoning weapon like a staff and a cutting weapon like a light saber. Regardless of whether it is one or 2 blades long. They require extremely different techniques, styles, grips, stances and everything else you can think of. With a staff you are constantly moving hands up and down the length of the staff. Check out any video of martial artists with bo staffs and you'll see what I mean in an instant.

With a double bladed lightsaber, or even a single blade, knowing how to wield a staff like second nature would be a massive detriment to learning how to fight with a lightsaber. You would quite quickly find yourself without any fingers.

It amuses me every time someone says Rey's ability with a lightsaber comes from a staff. It works in fiction... but it's as much a piece of fiction as a lightsaber.

Though the merchandising for this movie (just like the promotion of this movie) has been practically non-existant compared to the other movies. Thought I think that is because it isnt Christmas time either.

I think it comes too soon after Last jedi that stores arent willing to carry more Star Wars stuff when Last Jedi stuff is still on the shelves. I have barely seen any Han Solo movie figures, some Lego sets, but nothing like that came with TFA, Rogue One or Last Jedi.

And I feel Solo was a better marketable movie than the Last Jedi (from a toy standpoint) .. Last Jedi didnt really introduce any cool new characters or ships except for the skimmers on the last planet, but that sequence was way too short to be as memorable as Hoth.

Well, I finally was able to go see Solo. Here are my thoughts...

Wow! Definitely enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would.

1. For someone who hasn’t seen much of the animated series, it really confused me when Darth Maul showed up.

2. I can definitely see a sequel, but with how much this movie has bombed at the box office, I don’t think Disney/Lucasfilm will revisit this.

3. I really want to know how Chewbacca got captured by the Empire, because we don’t see him officially get captured in Revenge of the Sith.

Overall, I enjoyed this more than the Last Jedi, and I would probably give this movie a 7.5/10.

Can someone help me with a timeline here? So.darth maul.is just starting ...he's in episode 1. Luke's dad is a kid in that movie. Han is basically a young adult....so by the time hang is in episode.4 we've basically had an entire generation go by .But I'm to believe before this han was a young adult and Darth maul is around this time too?? Big oversight here. I'd have expected the han movie to take place around episode 3 ish not 1....

Can someone help me with a timeline here? So.darth maul.is just starting ...he's in episode 1. Luke's dad is a kid in that movie. Han is basically a young adult....so by the time hang is in episode.4 we've basically had an entire generation go by .But I'm to believe before this han was a young adult and Darth maul is around this time too?? Big oversight here. I'd have expected the han movie to take place around episode 3 ish not 1....
Solo takes place after Episode 3, before Rogue One and the original trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!