• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Cruise

rickc77

Mouseketeer
I'm quite sure you've all heard this one before, but I was wondering about takng a Disney cruise solo. Does anyone have any input on this (pro's and con's). I have done several disney trips solo, and now i'm tempted to go on a cruise. It would be my first cruise so please keep that in mind.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

the only thing i would check on is how much will you be charged for a single supplement. you should ask that question when checking on pricing...

I can't speak from personal experience as a solo traveler, but in 27 Disney cruises we have met several people travelling alone and their feedback has always been positive. It's nice because you will be seated with others at dinner and lunch, and in the clubs during the events like the 70's party the cruise staff will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. You may even find people to hang out with...hubby and I have invited single cruisers to come to the Castaway Club party with us, and on Royal Caribbean a single cruiser joined us on a shore excursion. I imagine you might even find people to link up with to go to Palo...if not, eating at the bar is an option if you'd rather do that than have a table alone. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take a cruise alone!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I went solo in May and LOVED it! I am solo again in January and next October. Barb is right - the CMs go out of their way to make solos feel special and appreciated, and there is no problem making friends.

The single supplement for DCL, as for most cruise lines, is 75%. In other words, you'll pay 175% of the double-occupancy cost. 200% of the cost for categories 1, 2, or 3.

Still, a cruise is a great vacation and I'd go it alone. As you've traveled on your own before, I think you'll do just fine.

rickc77
We are cruising in March 2003 and taking my single SIL. From your profile it looks like you are the same age. It will be her first cruise. She has asked the same questions as you. We are sure that she will have a great time as I am sure you will when ever you decide to cruise.

<B>Padre Disney</B> - In your situation you are taking someone who is single, so they are still cruising "with" you in a sense. A lot of families do that. It is not the same as actually cruising "solo" - totally on your own with no family or established friends on the same cruise.

But it is JMHO that if <B>rickc77</B> has made solo Disney trips and enjoyed them, he will also enjoy going solo on DCL.

Just wanted to say Thank-You for all of the great info......I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

Also, when booking the cruise is it better to contact a travel agent or just call Disney directly. I know when I have booked the disney vacations, I always do that myself, but this being the first cruise I was just unsure.

although i don't really care for AAA, you can get some nice incentives by going through a TA. For example, AAA price was below the price quote i got directly from DCL, and they threw in a $100 shipboard credit, a $75 rebate once i returned from my trip, and a free refillable soda mug per person...

Thanks for the update Sue.......I will check them out....infact i'll check it out both ways (dcl and aaa).

I'm still wondering if I will end up paying twice as much since this would be a solo trip for me.

thanks,

Give the sponsors of these DIScussion Boards a try - www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com They offer rebates and will also check your ressies and lower the prices if any such discounts or lower prices are offered after you have booked. Nobody else does such as a thing, least not that I have heard of.

Not sure about what AAA is offering now that the refillable soda mugs have been discontinued by DCL due to the contagious virus on board ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter