Solo DCL?

Has anyone ever done a disney cruise solo? What was it like? Is it worth doing on my own? I've done WDW solo twice now, and I'm fine being on my own. I really want to do a disney cruise, but no one in my family and none of my friends are interested.

I'm thinking about not upgrading my annual pass next year, and doing other disney trips instead, and a DCL one be one of them.

Has anyone ever done a disney cruise solo? What was it like? Is it worth doing on my own? I've done WDW solo twice now, and I'm fine being on my own. I really want to do a disney cruise, but no one in my family and none of my friends are interested.

I'm thinking about not upgrading my annual pass next year, and doing other disney trips instead, and a DCL one be one of them.

Not done Disney, but have done other cruise lines solo, and worked as a travel agent for four years several years back, and solo cruising can be fine, but you will pay double the price for a stateroom on DCL unless they have a promo going. The dreaded single supplement is how they make up for one less passenger on board, but it's common on most lines. As long as you are sociable and are aware of that, I think you will enjoy solo cruising.

I've done 10+ solo cruises with most of them being on DCL. Personally DCL is the best cruise line when it comes to service and entertainment. With the exception of the cost of DCL compared to other cruise lines it is really worth it especially if you are a Disney fan. In my opinion there seems to be more of that Disney magic when you are on the Disney ships than in the parks in a sense that you are surrounded by Disney in your stateroom, dining room, the music in the common areas, the shows and especially the same cast members/crew that you see daily. It truly is special for me when I board a Disney ship and run into a cast member from a previous cruise and we carry on like old friends that haven't seen each other in a long time. I would suggest you check out the Disney Cruise forum on the boards to ready reviews from other solo cruisers.

Ive been doing Disneyland California solo for the last number of years and I have just booked my first solo Disney cruise, 5 nights European from Dover September 2020.

Im really excited, I love my solo travel, and I really cant wait to experience cruising the Disney way.

I have gone on the Dream and the Fantasy solo. I love the Disney cruises and would go more often if it was in the budget. They usually sit me with other singles or other woman that are travelling in pairs. I love just enjoying the adult area and being on my own time. A cruise is a great place to go solo.

I did Disney Dream solo...I think I did a review...but it may be on cruise critic. Having done other cruises, I will say, I loved my DCL experience. I remember being so relaxed and the best part was the kids were kept so busy, I never saw any! My only complaint was the forced cruise ship dining. I only had the issue one night as I went to the specialty restaurants the other 2 nights...and was a little sad to miss the included options. Most cruise ships have an option where you don’t have to do the dine at 5:30 or 8:00 pm and sit with strangers...but not DCL. They kept that tradition...it has been a few years since I took this cruise and maybe they have caught up with the other cruise lines...but even with that complaint I would happily take another DCL cruise.

I did Disney Dream solo...I think I did a review...but it may be on cruise critic. Having done other cruises, I will say, I loved my DCL experience. I remember being so relaxed and the best part was the kids were kept so busy, I never saw any! My only complaint was the forced cruise ship dining. I only had the issue one night as I went to the specialty restaurants the other 2 nights...and was a little sad to miss the included options. Most cruise ships have an option where you don’t have to do the dine at 5:30 or 8:00 pm and sit with strangers...but not DCL. They kept that tradition...it has been a few years since I took this cruise and maybe they have caught up with the other cruise lines...but even with that complaint I would happily take another DCL cruise.

The still have the rotational dining and you will probably be sat with others like yourself. I have never seen this as an issue. Talk to people if you want or bring a book and read while eating as others do. Or if you have the late dining, chances are you can ask for table for yourself. Especially if you go during slower times of the year. Just remember, everyone is there to eat, just like you. It does not have to be awkward.

oh i didn't realize you had to eat with other people... i don't really know anything about cruises lol. i'll have to look into that!

I've often thought of cruising solo, but as brad813 says, I just can't get past that dreaded single supplement. But I've done WDW solo about 15-20 times, and since DH refuses to take a cruise I know that if I go, it will be solo.

I've often thought of cruising solo, but as brad813 says, I just can't get past that dreaded single supplement. But I've done WDW solo about 15-20 times, and since DH refuses to take a cruise I know that if I go, it will be solo.

The way I look at it is, you are paying for the room, like a hotel room. You don't get charged less for a hotel room because you are solo. I know it is supposed to include food also, but I enjoy cruising enough that I can deal with the higher cost. I just eat a bit more. :p

The way I look at it is, you are paying for the room, like a hotel room. You don't get charged less for a hotel room because you are solo. I know it is supposed to include food also, but I enjoy cruising enough that I can deal with the higher cost. I just eat a bit more. :p

exactly how I see it too. I dont think about the solo supplement, I just look at the final total, if thats what it costs, then thats what it costs. Just like travelling to Disneyland California for me. I know I can go to Disneyland Paris for far less but I want to experience Disneyland California, so I pay around €800 for a transatlantic flight to LAX, instead of €150 for a flight to Paris.

oh i didn't realize you had to eat with other people... i don't really know anything about cruises lol. i'll have to look into that!
The DCL board on this site covers a lot of the things you'll want to learn if you do decide to go--other things I'd suggest looking into are the standard tips (so you're not surprised when it gets added to your bill), what food is and isn't included (most is, but some isn't), strategies for arriving in port (some people like to go early, some swear by coming late and strolling aboard once everyone else is on the ship), and dress-up ideas--DCL cruises always have Pirate Night, and some have Star Wars or Marvel Day at Sea.

I did a Marvel Day at Sea cruise on the Disney Magic in 2018, and I had a blast (if you're not a Marvel or Star Wars fan, though, one of those specialty cruises might be a bit much--it was basically nothing but Marvel on that day, and the whole cruise had a bit of Marvel flavor). It has some of the same feel as a Disney World vacation because, well, Disney, but it's a much different trip. It's much more relaxing (though you can find plenty to keep you busy if you like!), and for me it was a much, much more social trip. I'm not a social butterfly by any means, but as a solo cruiser I found myself striking up casual vacation friendships with the other two solos I met, several crew members, and a couple of families who happened to go to a lot of the same activities I did. I was able to have as much alone time as I wanted, but I found it way easier to fall into conversation with people than in my regular life.

I was nervous about dining with one or more strangers, but ultimately made the call to just let Disney assign me a tablemate rather than request to eat alone. Some people have horror stories about it, but a lot of people on the board have had very positive experiences. Mine was the latter; I still have my tablemate friended on Facebook (and I'm not the kind of person who normally friends people I meet on vacation!). From what I've heard, requests for a solo table are typically granted, especially if you're in the later seating. It's also possible to bail on your table and request a change if you go through the first dinner and decide you never want to see those people again--or you have the option of eating dinner in Cabanas or getting room service, though I personally wouldn't choose to miss the rotational dining. That was what made me brave enough to give it a try; I knew I could get out of it if I just couldn't stand whoever I was seated with. Depending on the cruise, too, you may be alone anyway--I was seated with another solo, and the third solo I met was at first seating and was alone because they just didn't have anyone to pair her with.

I really loved my cruise and I'm very glad I went, but when it came time to book my next solo trip I ultimately decided I'd rather repeat Disney World than repeat the cruise experience. Loved it, but didn't love it more than WDW. Your mileage may vary, though; I'd enthusiastically recommend trying it out for yourself if it sounds at all appealing to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts