solo dining at Ohana dinner?

vincep

Mouseketeer
I posted this on somebody else's thread where I don't think many people saw it.
I'll be in DW in April for a couple days by myself and lucked into a reservation at a prime time on a Sat night. Like shortly before the fireworks. How I managed this less than a month before I'll never know.

I am concerned that I will not receive happy service taking up a table for two and as one person did respond when they went to Wolfgang Puck alone be rushed or slowed down to such an extent it will be frustrating. And for me embarrassing.

I love the food, the atmosphere and for me the dessert is out of this world. I could do Cape May or Boma where I have no doubt I'll have outstanding service and have had in the past. I just don't want to give up such a rare opportunity.
Has anybody eaten at Ohana's as a single? What were your experiences? Were you treated well or did the waitstaff resent you for wasting real estate?
Thank you.

I've never been to Ohana, but out of the dozens of solo, table service meals I've had, I've never had service so bad that has ruined a meal. I wouldn't give up a coveted reservation for fear of bad service.

I do hate to give it up. As I said on the other thread I tried so hard for such a reservation last year when I was with a friend but no luck.
Now that I'll be alone I get it.
Thank you for responding.

I also haven’t eaten at Ohana solo only because their food doesn’t appeal to me, but I’ve done plenty of other meals solo garden grill being the most similar. I haven’t had any problems, the servers are always very understanding of solo travelers. I don’t know if Wolfgang puck is different since it’s not owned by Disney or if you just went at an off time, but don’t worry. You got a great reservation go and enjoy it!

I did Ohana solo last spring. Made the ADR for 2, just told them it was one when checking in. The service was fine. Enjoy your meal save room for the bread pudding

I did a weeklong solo trip in October 2017. I am totally cool with traveling alone and eating by myself in all kinds of restaurants.

I did dinner at Ohana and it was the only time during the week that I felt uncomfortable.

They seated me at a table meant for 4 with a killer view of the fireworks just as the fireworks were starting. I actually told them they could give the table to a family with children but they refused. The table was in a super public spot and for the entire fireworks I had other diners and people waiting to be seated rushing up to the window and sitting in the other 3 seats. The parents clearly gave me the stink eye.

My server obviously treated me as a lower priority because I was alone. What's more, she didn't listen to my requests. I asked if I could just get a smaller plate of everything and she brought out the full trough meant for 3-4 people. I asked for a Diet Coke and it took two tries to replace the regular Coke she brought.

She slapped the meat on my plate. It was so haphazard that two shrimp went into my lap. The only time she came around offering seconds, she put the steak on my plate without asking and actually served it into my pile of shrimp shells. She totally knew she was doing it too because she paused for a second and thought about it but then kept doing it anyway.

When it came time for the check, she was nowhere to be found. I literally had to go and find her.

I observed her taking much more time with the other tables.

I think she thought that I wasn't going to tip her because I was solo? I don't know. It made me feel super uncomfortable about the whole experience.

I did tip her. A dollar. And I had been tipping extra like crazy all week because I was a solo diner.

I figured the rest of her tip went toward cleaning my nice pants that got shrimp all over them.

I posted this on somebody else's thread where I don't think many people saw it.
I'll be in DW in April for a couple days by myself and lucked into a reservation at a prime time on a Sat night. Like shortly before the fireworks. How I managed this less than a month before I'll never know.

I am concerned that I will not receive happy service taking up a table for two and as one person did respond when they went to Wolfgang Puck alone be rushed or slowed down to such an extent it will be frustrating. And for me embarrassing.

I love the food, the atmosphere and for me the dessert is out of this world. I could do Cape May or Boma where I have no doubt I'll have outstanding service and have had in the past. I just don't want to give up such a rare opportunity.
Has anybody eaten at Ohana's as a single? What were your experiences? Were you treated well or did the waitstaff resent you for wasting real estate?
Thank you.
Yes, I ate at Ohana dinner solo. I was seated at a nice window table but it was very early so I was not there for fireworks. I think I was treated as well as anyone else, but it is a very busy place and I don’t think it’s known for excellent service. I received huge servings of everything as if I was not by myself, so it was wasteful, but I would go back in a heartbeat just for the potstickers and bread pudding.The rest of the food was just ok.

If you want to go there, then do it. If you don't get great service, ask for a manager or just don't worry about it. It would be about your server, not about you.

I've had a couple of great meals at several WDW restaurants solo, and they've been mostly fantastic experiences, but haven't gotten the nerve to eat at Ohana. I think because Ohana means family, and family-style doesn't really match with the idea of dining alone? But really, the issue is mine to deal with. I'd be horrified to have an experience like @OfCourseTheresAlwaysMyWay.

Yes, I ate at Ohana dinner solo. I was seated at a nice window table but it was very early so I was not there for fireworks. I think I was treated as well as anyone else, but it is a very busy place and I don’t think it’s known for excellent service. I received huge servings of everything as if I was not by myself, so it was wasteful, but I would go back in a heartbeat just for the potstickers and bread pudding.The rest of the food was just ok.

I've read a lot of negative reviews about the food and service in the past few years, which has also been a problem. To be honest, if the only thing that's good is the potstickers and the bread pudding, I guess I could just order these in the lounge next door. I'm not sure if they even make their potstickers fresh on-site or if they're bulk-purchased appetizers.

I failed to mention in my original post that bad service isn’t the reason to skip Ohana. I just got unlucky. It’s not the end of the world.

The terrible food is the reason to skip Ohana! I was really unimpressed. The potstickers were clearly from the freezer and I’m not into super sweet desserts so I just don’t have much nice to say about it. Meats were all super overdone.

I hope my experience doesn’t deter you from solo table service dining though. I had so many other wonderful meals!

Thank you everyone.

Ofcoursetheresalwaysmyway is exactly what I'm afraid of is going to happen to me. I appreciate the positive comments but this looks like a tough decision. Why would they seat you at a table for 4 in a prime viewing spot? I would hope I would get a table for two tucked away.
I understand people finding the food not the best but I enjoy the salad, the pot stickers and I'm crazy about the bread pudding as noted by Skippyboo.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone.

Ofcoursetheresalwaysmyway is exactly what I'm afraid of is going to happen to me. I appreciate the positive comments but this looks like a tough decision. Why would they seat you at a table for 4 in a prime viewing spot? I would hope I would get a table for two tucked away.
I understand people finding the food not the best but I enjoy the salad, the pot stickers and I'm crazy about the bread pudding as noted by Skippyboo.

Look, I’m not going to lie, it was kind of horrible. But life went on and it didn’t even ruin my day, let alone my vacation.

If you want to go, do it! Solo trips are about doing whatever matters to you. :)

Due to all of your encouraging words I've decided to keep the reservation and will report back my impressions of solo dining at one of WDW's most difficult(if not THE most difficult) to get into restaurants.

So glad I found this thread. I want to do O'hana on my solo trip in five months, but at this point I can't seem to get a reservation. Poly is my favorite resort - so gives me a reason to visit. Isn't dinner a character meal? Is that awkward solo? Will the handlers take pics for you?

So glad I found this thread. I want to do O'hana on my solo trip in five months, but at this point I can't seem to get a reservation. Poly is my favorite resort - so gives me a reason to visit. Isn't dinner a character meal? Is that awkward solo? Will the handlers take pics for you?
Dinner isn’t a character meal. It’s breakfast that’s a character meal with Lilo and Stich. Try searching for a party of 2 instead of one in the ADR reservation system. You just tell them you’re a party of 1 when you check in at restaurant.

Have been doing Ohana's yearly for at least 20 years with family and love it. I now do Disney solo once or twice a year...and I don't mind having dinner alone, but I honestly don't think I could do Ohana's by myself (and I"m not afraid to sit and have dinner solo). Just something about the family atmosphere I guess. Anyway, getting back to the hotel after Ohana's is always difficult as you are bursting from eating so much food....so unless you are staying at the Poly, you might want to take that into consideration.

Gosh. I really am concerned. But it's a reason to spend time at the Poly, I'll have a dining credit to use, and I want that dessert so bad but don't want to waste time waiting for a place at the bar...watch I chicken out and end up at Trail's End. Which I love by the way. It's just not the best use of a dining credit.

I ate solo at Ohana last summer. They sat me at a table for two, the servers were as accommodating as they had been at other times when I was not alone, and it was just right. I like the atmosphere, the food and the view.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter