Solo & Dining

I never had a problem with dining solo at a sit down restaurant at Disney. It might be easier to avoid the family style service like Ohana, but even at those, solos are not unheard of. Good ones to consider specifically would be the dinner shows.

It really depends on your personality. I am fairly introverted and though I would certainly speak with someone who spoke to me, I probably wouldn’t initiate a conversation. So, I avoid restaurants where I would be seated with other parties, such as Biergarten and Teppan Edo. Of the solo table service meals I’ve had (La Hacienda de San Angel, Via Napoli, Rose & Crown, The Wave, Kona Cafe, Tony’s, Yak & Yeti, Sanaa, Captain’s Grille/Ale & Compass), I don’t recall ever having a bad experience. I don’t do character meals because I just don’t like them. Other than those types of meals, I would go to whatever restaurants have appealing menus, are convenient, and fit my schedule.

I have done a lot of TS restaurants as a solo and had good experiences (including character breakfasts at Tusker and H&V).

The only things I have intentionally avoided as a solo are the communal-seating places (Teppan Edo, Biergarten) because like the PP I'm fairly introverted, and a couple of places like Sanaa and Spice Road Table because I hope to someday go back with my sister and we can share a variety of dishes.

Some of my favorite TS places (all done solo) have been Via Napoli, The Wave, and Hollywood Brown Derby (multiple visits to all). Some I've done once but would be happy to do again, including La Hacienda, Narcoossee's, and Tusker House breakfast.

I'd say anything you find appealing is worth trying!

I would personally prefer no to do solo character meals. I do a lot of solo trips but have never had any issues. I do recommend searching for a party of 2 for your ADR's for better results and tell them your other party member is sick and couldn't make it.

The drawback of character meals solo is that there may not be anyone available to take your picture with the characters. Sometimes your server can do it, but other times they may be busy elsewhere at that moment. Some places may have a character handler along, but I've found it's a bit unpredictable if even the handler will be available, as they may be assisting several characters and have to mill around between them.

I agree with the above comments that communal seating places like Biergarten can be awkward for introverted solos. It's really a gamble as to whether your table-mates will be welcoming, or they will totally ignore you, or somewhere in between. I've had it go various ways on different occasions.

Because of these factors, I prefer to have company especially for character meals and communal seating places, but if I don't find anyone able to meet up for such meals, I will go anyway, if it's somewhere I really want to go.

If you're actually looking for opportunities to converse with people you don't already know, you could dine in the bar seating area of any of a number of WDW restaurants, and still order off the regular menu.

doing a solo. are there any sit down restaurants you would avoid. any ones that are good for solo's
None that I would avoid. I've now done 5 solo trips and eaten at 11 sit down restaurants. All are good foe solo's.

Five trips to Biergarten; only one was a bit awkward and I'm an introvert. Even when my tablemates ignored me I enjoyed the atmosphere, the show, the food and the beer.

I avoid character meals and venues with communal seating, just personal preference. A lot depends on what you’re looking for. I’m a huge introvert and not a fan of socializing with random strangers under any circumstances. I also don’t care for a lot of interaction with my server a la 50s Prime Time.

The only restaurant that I truly don’t like as a solo is Mama Melrose. Three solo visits and I was always placed at a horrible table located right on the main walkway and next to the server station. To be fair, I have never asked to switch because it has always been absolutely heaving (I have never been seated without a considerable wait.) in there and there didn’t seem to be a whole lot in the way of other options.

I have had an unfortunate table at Jungle Skipper but only once in 5 or 6 solo visits. I’m also not a fan of the banter-with me it always feels awkward and forced. It is, however, my favorite restaurant at MK for the food.

My favorites as a solo:

MK
Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Epcot
Tutti Italia
Chefs de France

AK
Tiffins

DHS
Brown Derby

I agree on communal dining. It's so chancy-one time I got stuck next to someone who refused to speak to me, treated me as if I was definitely to be avoided. After that meal, I decided it was better to BE alone than to wish I was. Character Meals are actually great for people-watchers. I was so hesitant the first time I went to a character meal, but I wanted a big breakfast and Cape May was convenient. The characters seemed to know I didn't want interaction and they just waved and blew a kiss as they went by (on a later trip, they stopped, took pictures, etc. as I got braver). But I loved watching the families, and especially the kids, as they caught their first glimpse of a character and then interacted with them. I've taken at least 15 solo trips, never found anyplace I didn't enjoy dining solo except the aforementioned communal dining.

Another option is trying the lounges, or sitting at the bar. I've been able to do walk-up for bar seating multiple times at Flying Fish.

And I have eaten at the bar at Yak & Yeti and also Tune In Lounge (bar for 50's Prime Time). They had lots of things on the menu, the bar at the Wave in the Contemporary has a more limited menu, but I have walked over there for a snack from the MK a few times

I have done it all...and I would say, pick your faves and eat there! Character meals can be a little awkward but every time I have done a solo at a character, the staff have been great and offered to take my pic with the character. At Askershus, the staff came to me and specifically said, don’t worry, we will take your pic, then a nearby table beat them to it. My personal faves...coral reef- I like the food- some don’t and find the tank fasnicating. Let Cellier, it is my favorite food wise. Also it is dark and the tables are so close if you want to talk to your neighbor you can and if you don’t, they can’t see you...(don’t get the light up drink- always draws attention!). Brown Derby, love the food and the wait staff always treat me great. I have also had good experiences at other restaurants. Some recommend sitting at the bar, but I prefer a table. Pick the place you always wanted to go and could never go...pick an old favorite....eat quick service at every meal if you want. The joy of solo is you get to pick! Enjoy!

I’ve never had a bad solo dining experience, but there have been a few times where I asked for a different table and got pushback. A lot of two-top tables seem to be in the middle of the aisle and I just don’t feel comfortable unless I’m off to the side. That would be true if I was eating with someone else, but the discomfort is even more pronounced when I’m alone. So if I see that I’m being led to an awkward aisle table, then I ask for the (usually empty) 4 top side table next to it instead. They’ll do it, but at both Coral Reef and Spice Road Table, I was made to feel like I was being unreasonable for not wanting to sit wherever they put me, regardless of how many tables remained empty the whole time that I was there. It was even worse at Ale and Compass, where I asked for a table with normal chairs instead of this low backed cushion bench thing that I didn’t even know was an option until I was seated, and the hostess actually argued with me. I was extremely polite and I told her that I would have no trouble waiting if necessary, but she didn’t even try to hide her annoyance at having to accommodate me. The meal itself was fantastic and the server was great, but I wasn’t really able to overcome the sour feeling that the hostess created at the start of the experience.

That kind of thing is not the norm, though. I’ve been fortunate to have amazing servers at CG, HDDR, VN, TH, and Homecomin (just to name a few) who seemed to give me extra attention because I was solo.

Personally don't do character meals, but that might just be my general disinterest in interacting with characters as an adult. I agree with other posters and I also steer away from communal dining as well. Restaurants I personally enjoy and go to often--Chefs de France, Hollywood Brown Derby, and the Wave bar. However, my absolute favorite is BOMA for breakfast--love having this one, big, delicious meal and good to go for the rest of the day--plus hanging with animals after before heading to the parks--usually Animal Kingdom.

For me - I just avoid the two communal dining options. I can see how they could be fine - but I can also see how they could be a disaster.

I've done a couple character meals solo. One time - a great server helped me out with photos. The other time - I got myself "adopted" by the family next to me - so they took my photos for me - and I took their photos for them. That was actually a really fun memory for me. I do like character meals - so I might do this again. But - it is easier with family/friends - so I don't normally book these on solo trips. If I didn't expect to also have family trips - I'd book these more frequently solo.

I eat wherever I want, including Teppan and Biergarten. It is only awkward if you make it so. Nobody cares that you are dining solo.

I’ve never had a bad solo dining experience, but there have been a few times where I asked for a different table and got pushback. A lot of two-top tables seem to be in the middle of the aisle and I just don’t feel comfortable unless I’m off to the side. That would be true if I was eating with someone else, but the discomfort is even more pronounced when I’m alone. So if I see that I’m being led to an awkward aisle table, then I ask for the (usually empty) 4 top side table next to it instead. They’ll do it, but at both Coral Reef and Spice Road Table, I was made to feel like I was being unreasonable for not wanting to sit wherever they put me, regardless of how many tables remained empty the whole time that I was there. It was even worse at Ale and Compass, where I asked for a table with normal chairs instead of this low backed cushion bench thing that I didn’t even know was an option until I was seated, and the hostess actually argued with me. I was extremely polite and I told her that I would have no trouble waiting if necessary, but she didn’t even try to hide her annoyance at having to accommodate me. The meal itself was fantastic and the server was great, but I wasn’t really able to overcome the sour feeling that the hostess created at the start of the experience.

That kind of thing is not the norm, though. I’ve been fortunate to have amazing servers at CG, HDDR, VN, TH, and Homecomin (just to name a few) who seemed to give me extra attention because I was solo.

as a waitress, i can see where they're coming from. you never know when a bigger party is gonna come in and need the bigger table. if someone is polite about it though and it's not a busy time i usually dont mind if they ask to change seats, but its the people who fight with me that make my blood boil

as a waitress, i can see where they're coming from. you never know when a bigger party is gonna come in and need the bigger table. if someone is polite about it though and it's not a busy time i usually dont mind if they ask to change seats, but its the people who fight with me that make my blood boil
I totally get that and would have zero issue if the restaurant was full or super popular. For instance, I dined solo at California Grill on Thanksgiving and would have accepted any table. My annoyance comes when the restaurant is more than half empty and I’m treated like dirt for politely asking to sit at a table right next to the one they want me to use. SRT was particularly ridiculous because the room I was in had 3 occupied tables (including mine) the entire hour that I was there and yet the hostess gave me a hard time for asking to sit at a four top next to the window instead of the two top in the middle of the aisle. It just made me feel like I was less than because I was solo. Like it was better for the window table to remain empty on the off chance that a bunch of parties of four walked in at the exact same time and for some reason couldn’t be accommodated by all of the other available tables throughout the restaurant.

Last edited:
I've done Biergarten multiple times by myself and never had a bad experience. Even if the other people are not chatty with you, the show is a useful distraction and it is a buffet (get small portions and go multiple times).

That said, I also enjoy going to the 50s Prime Time Cafe. You can always eat at the bar if you don't want to sit in the restaurant, though the wait staff make it fun even if you are single diner.

@Magnoliafan, I had the exact same thing happen at SRT last February, only there was only 1 other occupied table. They wouldn't let me have the window table no matter my request. I was not happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!